Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

I Own It After Lease Period Is Over???

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Duffycoug

Duffycoug

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 03:28 PM

According to my installer today, after the lease is up on the HR20 it's then owned by yours truly....this can't be correct, is it?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 03:29 PM

No.

This isn't the same as a car lease, or a rent-to-own.

There is no defined "lease" period for any of the products that fall under the lease rules.

DirecTV will own these boxes, until they either don't ask for them to be returned... or say otherwise.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 03:43 PM

According to my installer today, after the lease is up on the HR20 it's then owned by yours truly....this can't be correct, is it?

Welcome to the forums, Duffycoug! :welcome_s

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#4 OFFLINE   Duffycoug

Duffycoug

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 04:24 PM

Thanks....btw, what version of software is the most up to date for the HR 20-100?? Just curious so I can keep an eye on it.

Thanks

#5 OFFLINE   lguvenoz

lguvenoz

Icon

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 04:28 PM

No.

This isn't the same as a car lease, or a rent-to-own.

There is no defined "lease" period for any of the products that fall under the lease rules.

DirecTV will own these boxes, until they either don't ask for them to be returned... or say otherwise.

The "say otherwise" is always the out. I had a really old receiver die on me, and D* agreed to replace it for free with a new one but only if I returned the old one (I don't have the protection plan). When the rep went to process the return, he got a message that D* would not pay for it to be returned and it was mine to keep because it was too old for them to refurb.

My guess is that once the units are 3-4 years old they will all fall into the "say otherwise" category as they have little value to make them worth paying for shipping, refurbishing and stocking.

I wouldn't count on it, but that's my take.
Lewis G.
AT9 -> WB68 -> Receivers
2 RG6QS -> HR20 -> HDMI -> Sony 50" LCD HDTV
1 RG6QS -> R16 -> S-Video -> Samsung 30" Tube HDTV
1 RG6QS -> RCA Receiver -> S-Video -> Windows Vista HTPC -> DVI-HDCP -> Samsung 22" HDTV Monitor
-- RCA Reciever -> Channel 3 -> Sharp 15" LCD
-- HTPC -> 100 Mbps -> XBox360 -> Sony 50" LCD HDTV
1 RG6QS -> D11 -> Composite -> Sharp 13" TV
1 RG6QS -> D10 -> S-Video -> Samsung 24" TV
2 RG6QS -> R16 -> S-Video -> Toshiba 27" TV

#6 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,711 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 19 April 2007 - 10:46 PM

Thanks....btw, what version of software is the most up to date for the HR 20-100?? Just curious so I can keep an eye on it.

Thanks

0x12a
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#7 OFFLINE   analogkid12

analogkid12

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 05:45 AM

I recently upgraded to the HR20 DTV DVR from a leased HR10-250 Tivo. When the installer left, he did not take the HR10 with him. This is a leased unit. The access card is still in the unit , but I do not think it is active.

My question? What do I need to do to use this DVR? I have 2 other SD boxes that run Tivo a well. Do I need to get a new access card? Where would I get it? (ie DTV, ebay etc) Will I continue to pay a lease fee if I do? Can I just sell the unit? I was under the impression dtv would take the unit back as it is a lease. Are they not taking back the hr10 units or did the installer just forget to take it with him?

#8 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 06:39 AM

I recently upgraded to the HR20 DTV DVR from a leased HR10-250 Tivo. When the installer left, he did not take the HR10 with him. This is a leased unit. The access card is still in the unit , but I do not think it is active.

My question? What do I need to do to use this DVR? I have 2 other SD boxes that run Tivo a well. Do I need to get a new access card? Where would I get it? (ie DTV, ebay etc) Will I continue to pay a lease fee if I do? Can I just sell the unit? I was under the impression dtv would take the unit back as it is a lease. Are they not taking back the hr10 units or did the installer just forget to take it with him?

Installers do not take the units back with them. Directv will send you a return box that has prepaid return shipping via fedex. You can either have fedex pick it up or you can drop it off to them.

I know when the HR20 first came out people were sending them back to Directv. But lately Directv has been saying to trash them. I would call Directv before you do anything to see what you options are. They will probably let you keep using it if you would like or they will probably to tell you to trash it. I don't think selling it is an option.

#9 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 06:40 AM

BTW :welcome_s to DBStalk

#10 OFFLINE   analogkid12

analogkid12

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 07:08 AM

Well, the upgrade was about 2 months ago, have not received a box or anything from dtv. Where can I get an access card? Will I still pay the lease fees? Just a big paper weight right now, would like HD on another tv...

#11 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 07:14 AM

Well, the upgrade was about 2 months ago, have not received a box or anything from dtv. Where can I get an access card? Will I still pay the lease fees? Just a big paper weight right now, would like HD on another tv...

You shouldn't need a new card since it was already on your account. Just take put it where you want it. Call D and have them turn it back on.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#12 OFFLINE   gblues

gblues

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 12:44 AM

The $99 HR10-250 => HR20 "swap" does not currently require relinquishment of the HR10-250 (nor would it convert an owned HR10 to a leased one). So you'd just leave it active and hook it up to the TV of your choice.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...