Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Multi Switches? What is the difference between Passive and a Active Multi Switch?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   daytoday

daytoday

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:11 PM

I'm installing a HR20 on a boat and will be installing a 4x8 multi switch. Can someone tell me what the difference is between passive and active? Which would be best to install with a KVH mobile antenna?

Thanks!:)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:23 PM

Passive switches do not have an external power supply to then energize the LNBs on the dish. All their power comes from the receivers.

Active switches have an external power unit so they can send the 18V and 13V signals to the dish.

Assuming this is a normal human being boat rather than a major yacht, I expect all your cable runs will be very short. A passive switch should be fine.

I also am fairly certain the KVH comes with its own power supply to energize the phased array or moving dish, so you shouldn't need an active switch to power it up.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#3 OFFLINE   daytoday

daytoday

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:37 PM

Passive switches do not have an external power supply to then energize the LNBs on the dish. All their power comes from the receivers.

Active switches have an external power unit so they can send the 18V and 13V signals to the dish.

Assuming this is a normal human being boat rather than a major yacht, I expect all your cable runs will be very short. A passive switch should be fine.

I also am fairly certain the KVH comes with its own power supply to energize the phased array or moving dish, so you shouldn't need an active switch to power it up.

Cheers,
Tom

Thanks Tom for the quick response! The KVH tech that I talked to today recommended that I use a powered multi switch. I quess that would be a Active switch. The tech also recommended installing a HD TV Converter, Destacker and splitter. I'm trying to install qty 3 HR20 and the KVH satalite on has qty 2 cables coming from it. I'll try to research what the other items are since I now understand what multiswitch I need. Thanks!!!:)

#4 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:50 PM

Thanks Tom for the quick response! The KVH tech that I talked to today recommended that I use a powered multi switch. I quess that would be a Active switch. The tech also recommended installing a HD TV Converter, Destacker and splitter. I'm trying to install qty 3 HR20 and the KVH satalite on has qty 2 cables coming from it. I'll try to research what the other items are since I now understand what multiswitch I need. Thanks!!!:)

Which model KVH are you looking at? If it only has two cables, I expect that it only does the satellites at 101° which has very limited HD.

Does the boat have two coax from the switch location to the HR20s or just one? If you can run a second (or third for OTA pickup) you won't need the expense of stacker/destackers. (they are seemingly becoming rarer again.)

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#5 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,936 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:28 AM

Also note that there are no 4x8 multiswitches that are rated to work with the newer satellites that provide HD to the HR20. You need to use a Zinwell WB68 (6x8 non powered) or WB616 (6x16 powered) multiswitch.

I'm not aware of any stacking solutions that include the 99 and 103 satellite feeds.

Carl

#6 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:40 AM

Also note that there are no 4x8 multiswitches that are rated to work with the newer satellites that provide HD to the HR20. You need to use a Zinwell WB68 (6x8 non powered) or WB616 (6x16 powered) multiswitch.

I'm not aware of any stacking solutions that include the 99 and 103 satellite feeds.

Carl

Indeed, the 99° and 103° are stacked just to make things work. :)

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

#7 OFFLINE   daytoday

daytoday

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 12:09 PM

Tom & Carl6 and other members,

Thank You very much for your excellent advice with helping me and others understand Sat TV. I'm still learning and have tried to find the answers myself through installers/manufactures/retailers and have determined that most of them do not have my best interest in mind? I've spent hundreds of hours researching the web that often leaves my head more confused than before I started.

The HR20 that I'm installing on the boat are connected to a KVH G4 mobile Satalite Dome that has qty 2 outputs. I currently have the 2 coax cable going into a RCA 4-Way Multi-Switch that is Passive terrestrial (Model #D653). The (Qty 4) inputes include a 1) power - which is hooked up 2) local antenna- Not hooked up because I could not get any locals through my HR20. I'm not positive I know how this is supposed to work? 3) Sat 1, 4) Sat 2. The (qty 4) out puts are - 1&2) feed into HR20 #1 - 3&4) feed into HR20 #2

I have a Glomex Round Local Antenna (Model V9125) that has (qty 1) coax cable (40 ft) that is ran down into a GE Brand -UHF/VHF/FM/Video 4-way Amplifier (50-900MHz) and then is ran into the Back of my HR20 (Off Air - Input). Note: I can only receive 2 local channels on my HR20, although there are about (Qty 27) local stations within 6 miles of me. (Zip code used 33280). I'm not sure if it is my Glomex antenna or if it may be that I do not have the correct amp or maybe some other reason.

The End Results are that I want to be able to...
- to receive local channels and need to figure out how to receive more local channels.
-need to be able to feed (Qty 3) HR20 Receivers.

All 3 HR20 are about (40 ft) of cable away from the KVH Sat and Glomex Local Antenna. I currently receive all DTV channels on Sat 101. I do not receive channels on Sat 103,110 or 119. This is because my KVH antenna will only receive reception from Sat 101 at this time.

Please help me decide and recommend what items I need to buy to be able to get the best reception.

Thanks again!!!

#8 OFFLINE   daytoday

daytoday

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 12:14 PM

I've listed the above under a new thread that would better describe my question in the title. Thanks!!! Please see Thread Titled - Need help choosing correct items to install with Mobile Sat &Local antenna on boat.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...