Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Channel to be added - Starfish

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
48 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   manicd

manicd

Legend

• Registered
  • 141 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 02:49 AM

EchoStar unveiled plans to add The Starfish Television Network to its DISH Network satellite TV platform. Starfish, the company said, is the only channel dedicated to providing information and news about charitable and other worthy causes to educate and entertain viewers.

DISH said Starfish Television Network's programming comes from the 1.5 million non-profit organizations across the country. Content airing on the network will fall into one of three categories: existing programming already produced by the organizations, co-op programming where new content is created with Starfish and the non-profits, and original programming produced by the network itself.

According to DISH, The Starfish Television Network has several strategic non-profit partners contributing programming to the net including:

Muscular Dystrophy Association, American Heart Association, American Diabetes Association, Operation Smile, Points of Light Foundation, Profiles in Caring, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, Difference Makers International, Children's Miracle Network, Mothers without Borders, National Multiple Sclerosis Foundation, Wheelchair Foundation, Physicians for Peace, Airline Ambassadors, Beating the Odds Foundation, Camie Awards, and Adventist Development and Relief Agency International (ADRA).

For more information, visit http://www.starfishtv.org.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   projectorguru

projectorguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 05:42 AM

another useless channel

#3 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 06:33 AM

CH9408 already up and broadcasting.

#4 OFFLINE   dlt

dlt

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 06:43 AM

CH9408 already up and broadcasting.

Is it on sat 61.5? I dont have it on my recievers.

#5 OFFLINE   angiecopus

angiecopus

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 06:57 AM

Glad i don't get it then sounds like a boring channel.

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,515 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 07:29 AM

9408 is on 61.5° and 129° ... not on 148°

They are paying for their space (like any other PI) so they might as well be there.
Besides ... that's the way the government wants it! :)
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   nuzzy

nuzzy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:39 AM

WOOHOO!! YES!!! Another channel that we don't need!!!!!!!! Way to go Charlie!!!

#8 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:56 AM

A necessary evil. Its a public interest channel and they needed to add one after RFD was changed from PI to regular channel. They are required to carry a certain percentage of these channels.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#9 OFFLINE   thxultra

thxultra

Godfather

• Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 09:03 AM

Glad I bailed to d* when I see dish add crap like this and still not carry logo. It will be interesting to see if they get more then 2 viewers for this one.

#10 OFFLINE   music_beans

music_beans

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 09:04 AM

another useless channel

Glad I bailed to d* when I see dish add crap like this and still not carry logo. It will be interesting to see if they get more then 2 viewers for this one.

You know, that disgusts me. This new PI channel supports many of the charitable organizations that help children with disabilities, health problems, and other issues that you don't appear to care about. The Starfish Channel is indeed promising as I for one support some of those organizations.

I don't care that its a PI channel, but its not useless, and its not crap. People who have donated to these organizations or have been helped out will find great benefit from this channel, and you don't appear to see that. Its like you don't care for those who have been helped by say, MDA or Children's Miracle Network. Another thing, Im sure the channel won't be boring. Its gonna have stuff filled with hope, optimism, and maybe even a few scientific breakthroughs for diseases like Muscular Dystrophy or Autism.

If you say the channel is usesless, its like saying all those organizations behind the channel are usesless as well. :mad:
Do you DVR?

#11 OFFLINE   projectorguru

projectorguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 10:01 AM

You know, that disgusts me. This new PI channel supports many of the charitable organizations that help children with disabilities, health problems, and other issues that you don't appear to care about. The Starfish Channel is indeed promising as I for one support some of those organizations.

I don't care that its a PI channel, but its not useless, and its not crap. People who have donated to these organizations or have been helped out will find great benefit from this channel, and you don't appear to see that. Its like you don't care for those who have been helped by say, MDA or Children's Miracle Network. Another thing, Im sure the channel won't be boring. Its gonna have stuff filled with hope, optimism, and maybe even a few scientific breakthroughs for diseases like Muscular Dystrophy or Autism.

If you say the channel is usesless, its like saying all those organizations behind the channel are usesless as well. :mad:

Don't take it out of context, the organizations are not the issue, we get all this crap at work tv commercials signs everywhere on helpin people, it don't belong on TV, thats why I won't watch it, I want good programming, not another ploy on gettin more money out of my pocket

#12 OFFLINE   elbodude

elbodude

Legend

• Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 10:42 AM

Great! But where is my FSN HD!!!??

#13 OFFLINE   MURF

MURF

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 10:47 AM

I've got a wonderfully talented Dish Network Installer on my roof right now installing 61.5 so I can get all the Public Interest Channels that Dish carries. Public Interest Channels are a superb source of information, infinitely more accurate and objective than corporate owned media whose sole objective is profit for the parent company. The media in the USA is now officially an oligopoly, down to 5 major corporations from 50, 25 years ago. This is a very scary reality. This mass consolidation of media is a major threat to this Republic. If you haven't really watched these channels I would encourage you to search the listings for these various channels, record a few programs and see what you think. Here is a link to a list of the various free public interest channels and the sat. locations for each. I especially like LinkTV and BYUTV. Tolerance and respect for others is often demanded by all and given by few. Have a great day everyone, it's a gorgeous day here in Portland, Oregon. :D :D :D

http://ekb.dbstalk.com/pi.htm

Murf
dish 500 w/ 2 legacy duals @ 110/119
dish 500 w/ 1 legacy dual @ 61.5
64 switch
7200, 7200 (all Legacy gear)

#14 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 10:59 AM

Darn... I was hoping for another shopping channel!
**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

#15 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 11:07 AM

To all those that are complaining about a public information channel - this will make your life more relaxing and enjoyable. Cancel dish now, no, not tomorrow, now. Bad news for you is the odds is Dish will add or change other Public Interest channels in the future. So to save your self the time of writing a post each time complaining, if you would just switch now to Direct TV you would be so much more happy, as apprarently some feel Direct TV and Cable do not have public interest channels. And getting a Public Interest channel is not preventing Dish from carrying YES or FSN HD.

#16 OFFLINE   music_beans

music_beans

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 12:08 PM

I've got a wonderfully talented Dish Network Installer on my roof right now installing 61.5 so I can get all the Public Interest Channels that Dish carries. Public Interest Channels are a superb source of information, infinitely more accurate and objective than corporate owned media whose sole objective is profit for the parent company. The media in the USA is now officially an oligopoly, down to 5 major corporations from 50, 25 years ago. This is a very scary reality. This mass consolidation of media is a major threat to this Republic. If you haven't really watched these channels I would encourage you to search the listings for these various channels, record a few programs and see what you think. Here is a link to a list of the various free public interest channels and the sat. locations for each. I especially like LinkTV and BYUTV. Tolerance and respect for others is often demanded by all and given by few. Have a great day everyone, it's a gorgeous day here in Portland, Oregon. :D :D :D

I HAVE SUPPORTERS! :)
Do you DVR?

#17 OFFLINE   nuzzy

nuzzy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 12:29 PM

A necessary evil. Its a public interest channel and they needed to add one after RFD was changed from PI to regular channel. They are required to carry a certain percentage of these channels.

I know, sorry. I'm just venting...I REALLY need NESN HD!

#18 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,515 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 01:19 PM

There are options ...
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#19 OFFLINE   tsduke

tsduke

Godfather

• Registered
  • 470 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 02:41 PM

Odds are that D* will add it as well. I can't believe people are complaining about this channel. What gives?

#20 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 02:54 PM

another useless channel

It's a public interest channel. I never go there.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

spam firewall