Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OTA issue reporting web page

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 April 2007 - 10:53 AM

Edit: 8/23/2008
--- NOTE: This Post is NO LONGER valid ---
Someone revived this thread from the dead .. This first post is no longer valid
=========================================================

DirecTV has made great strides in correcting all of the OTA problems (missing channels, etc.). Unfortunately, there are still a few problems that pop up.

I have created a web site so that you can log your issue. It is my hope that we can get DirecTV, or at a minimum, Earl to respond and update the status as things progress.

If you continue to have problems with OTA channels on your HR20, then please take a few moments to visit the

OTA issue reporting web page

Just click on the big orange button at the top of the page to submit your issue.
Please note the model of your DirecTV receiver in the comment section.

Thank you for your help as we try to get every issue corrected.

Cheers.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 April 2007 - 11:07 AM

FYI .. This web page is a little more raw than I would normally like, but I'm hoping that it can go away in a few weeks as these problems get sorted out.

If you have any problems with the web page, please contact me here @ DBSTalk.com via Private Message ..

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,832 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 11:11 AM

Excellent work as always, of course. I've entered my data already... I'm glad this was promoted to a Sticky immediately!
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   waynebtx

waynebtx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationKingsville,Texas

Posted 20 April 2007 - 11:40 AM

Ok i entered KIII 3-2 and shows on list as 3-3 ???

Wayne

Slimline dish SWIM16
Sharp LC-60E78UN
HD-A30 w/ Harmony 880
HR34-700/AM21 w/ Harmony 880.
1 C31-700

HR44-200

HR24-100

H25-100

Marantz NR1603 A/V 7.1

All Wired Networked
Xbox 360
retired USN , retired Boeing, retired L3COM, just plain tired

#5 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 April 2007 - 11:57 AM

Ok i entered KIII 3-2 and shows on list as 3-3 ???

No it doesn't ;) -- all fixed

#6 OFFLINE   Chilli_Dog

Chilli_Dog

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:32 PM

In our area (Champaign-Springfield-Decatur), we have the following situation:

3 WCIA (CBS)
49 WCFN (MyNetwork TV)

Both are broadcast on the same digital channel, so the breakdown looks like this:

3 WCIA (analog)
3-1 WCIA
3-2 WCFN
are broadcast out of Champaign.

49 WCFN (analog)
49-1 WCFN
49-2 WCIA
are broadcast out of Springfield (repeated signal).

So, when I enter WCIA, it brings up channel 3. 3-1 is already in the guide. However, 3-2 is not. I can enter the 2 for subchannel, but the 2 really refers to WCFN.

Same goes for WCFN. 49-1 is in the guide. I need to enter 2, but it really refers to WCIA.

So, how do I correctly enter this on the OTA page??? :confused:

#7 OFFLINE   brittonx

brittonx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 414 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 09:04 PM

So, are you just looking for mismatched guide data / channel numbers? My OTA problems are that the HR20 OTA tuners cannot receive the same channels over the same antenna that my H20 can.

Do you want me to report all of those?
1-HR20-700 w/1TB Seagate HDD, 1-H21-200, 2-H20-100, 1-H20-600
Slimline Dish via WB68 multiswitch.
Primary display: 52" Sony Bravia 1080p to HR20-700 via HDMI
Second display: 42" Emerson Plasma to H21-200 via HDMI
Media Server Windows 7 Ultimate
HR20 & H21 wired to Netgear Gigabit Switch via Cat 5e cables.

#8 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 21 April 2007 - 06:23 AM

So, are you just looking for mismatched guide data / channel numbers? My OTA problems are that the HR20 OTA tuners cannot receive the same channels over the same antenna that my H20 can.

Do you want me to report all of those?

Hmmmm...that's a difficult question, a bit of a Catch 22.

If it is just a weak signal problem it doesn't belong in the database.

If it is a multi-path problem, it might.

The problem is, there is no way to know for sure.

I would look at it like this:

If using the same signal source (and I don't mean from a splitter) you get a strong signal on another tuner (like your stand alone HDTV), and that station is in the HR20 guide, but gives no signal or no signal and a 771 error, then I WOULD report it. So, take the feed that does work on your stand alone HDTV tuner and MOVE IT to the HR20. If that fails to produce a signal, then you can do something like this:

Here is what you should enter in the notes section of the entry:

"HR-20 receiver shows a 771 error on this channel while my HDTV tuner using the same feed (no splitter) produces a signal of 8 out of 10. I am "x" miles from the transmitting tower." (Put in more detail on your terrain, city vs. country, etc. if you feel like it, but don't write a book).

You need a separate entry for each channel and make sure to note any differences in the error number (if there is one) for each entry.

If you get a weak pixellating signal, DO NOT put this in the database. This is a local reception problem and has nothing to do with the HR20.

If you don't have any way to verify that the signal quality is good (with another tuner), then I would not report anything other than missing from guide/guide errors/mismapped channels, because you have no way to verify that other factors aren't causing your problems. We do not want to send D* down a blind alley.

(You can substitute H20 for HDTV Tuner and make the same entry...they just need to know that you have a reference Tuner that works perfectly while the HR20 doesn't, USING THE EXACT SAME FEED). Exact same feed means you physically move the connection from the device that DOES work (H20 in your example) to the HR20, and it DOESN'T work. If you don't do it this way, you could have a bad cable or connector causing the problem.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#9 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 21 April 2007 - 06:33 AM

This OTA survey is for tuner malfunctions/performance issues, it is NOT for reporting a missed recording. Missed recordings have nothing to do with the performance of the OTA tuner in the HR20.

Missed recordings are an entirely different malfunction and have nothing to do with the HR20 tuners or bad channel/frequency data.

Here is an example of an entry that someone put in, that DOES NOT belong in the database we are trying to compile:

"04/20/2007 - 12:48 - HR20 missed first run recording of "Grey's Anatomy" on Thursday, 4/19/07. DVR was in standby and not recording any other shows. "Grey's Anatomy" is number 3 in priority list. Show HAS been recorded successfully in the past. Space available - 65% (See KNBC-DT for the same issue -- same night)."

First run recording issues are NOT to be entered in the database...they have nothing to do with the HR20 tuners or the channel/frequency/mismapping issues...and those are the ones we are trying to solve.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#10 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 07:37 AM

Doug,

As always, amazing work. I sometimes say it half jokingly but I would love to see what you could do a in a week in El Segundo.

- Craig

#11 OFFLINE   marty45714

marty45714

Godfather

• Registered
  • 407 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 05:26 PM

I take issue with your first sentence. I have spoken out about my missing channels since I bought my HR20's in December. I have called my local station. I have called Tribune. I have called DirecTV. Nothing! Very frustrating! :confused:

DirecTV has made great strides in correcting all of the OTA problems (missing channels, etc.). \

#12 OFFLINE   Chilli_Dog

Chilli_Dog

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 05:47 PM

I take issue with your first sentence. I have spoken out about my missing channels since I bought my HR20's in December. I have called my local station. I have called Tribune. I have called DirecTV. Nothing! Very frustrating! :confused:

It is frustrating. We have three local stations whose guide data is either missing or incorrect. Only one station made any effort to correct the situation -- and that was after a bit of prodding. The others have not responded to any requests to fix the data.

Calling DirecTV is almost always pointless. Front line tech support usually knows nothing beyond what is in their script. Their second tier support is often marginally knowledgeable at best. Is there anyone at D* that really knows what's going on??? :confused:

At least here we have Earl and other dedicated people trying to make a difference. Let's hope Brott catches the attention of the right people at D* so we can get the guide data issue resolved.

#13 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 25 April 2007 - 06:11 PM

My apologies if the wording doesn't fit the mold you prefer. I worded it that way in an attempt to keep the conversation productive. Heck before SW version 0x0108 you couldn't even get OTA, so if you ask me, significant strides have been made. It's not 100% which is the whole point, but it's not zero percent either.

#14 OFFLINE   sack9

sack9

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:09 PM

Have had some problems since ota was turned on way back when. 98% sig on 13-1, 21-1, 5-1 in colorado springs, I get wierd pixel on these channels.. also it only does it on a good part of a show.
3 HR20-700 x34b 2 HR20-100 x34b
1 HR23-700 x34b
1 hr10-250
MediaShare on via wired RJ45 using TVersity
VOD = enabled
Dish Setup
CalAmp Ka/KU 5 on the roof
8-Channel SWM
1 Zinwell 6x8
Terk Antenna
7168/768 Qwest DSL
Directv Home Servies Lead Tech

#15 OFFLINE   marty45714

marty45714

Godfather

• Registered
  • 407 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 12:15 PM

Doug, don't take my message personal. It is directed at D* and my displeasure with them as a customer.:)

My apologies if the wording doesn't fit the mold you prefer. I worded it that way in an attempt to keep the conversation productive. Heck before SW version 0x0108 you couldn't even get OTA, so if you ask me, significant strides have been made. It's not 100% which is the whole point, but it's not zero percent either.

#16 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 April 2007 - 03:14 PM

Doug, don't take my message personal. It is directed at D* and my displeasure with them as a customer.:)

No worries .. :)

#17 OFFLINE   danman71

danman71

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:55 AM

I meant to list the missing channel WAND as 17-2, not 17-17.

#18 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:27 PM

I added several channels to the list:

WALB-DT2 (Albany, GA)
WTXL-DT2 (Tallahassee, FL)
WTWC-DT2 (Tallahassee, FL)

~Alan

#19 OFFLINE   atdauph

atdauph

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 07:04 AM

I've had my HR-20 100 connected to a Radio Shack U75R (not split to any other source) for about a week now (thanks VOS and RadioEngrd :D), and I've noticed that the local Houston CBS (11-1) has audio and video dropouts every 30 seconds or so. And I mean a total dropout, total picture freeze or macro blocking for about 2 seconds. It happens all the time on any show, and these dropouts do NOT occur on the MPEG4 sat channel.

Whenever I go to the OTA signal meter, I can see why the dropouts are occurring. Every 30 seconds or so BOTH tuners will drop to zero and "un-lock" from the channel and then immediately return to 95-100%. If I keep watching the meters it will continue to do so.

I also get dropouts on PBS, but I suspect this is a different problem, because the dropouts tend to be less severe and only occur maybe every 10 or 15 minutes. This is probably due to my having a UHF antenna and PBS is a high VHF (??) channel.

#20 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 02 May 2007 - 11:04 AM

I added several channels to the list:

WALB-DT2 (Albany, GA)
WTXL-DT2 (Tallahassee, FL)
WTWC-DT2 (Tallahassee, FL)

Yesterday, I entered 40-2 for WTWC-DT2, but now it's showing up as "40-40." It wasn't like that yesterday...

That's weird...

~Alan

spam firewall