Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Skipped Event Question

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
47 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   thefunks67

thefunks67

Godfather

• Registered
  • 259 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 11:12 PM

I have the OTA tuner set to tape COPS every Saturday at 8 pm and 8:30 pm. This week the NASCAR race is on FOX at 8 pm. The 622 has automatically set the COPS event as skipped because it recognizes that COPS is not on at 8.

I want to record the NASCAR race on FOX via the OTA tuner. I can't seem to accomplish this. Any ideas on how to get the 622 to record the NASCAR event on the OTA tuner?

-Funk

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 07:11 AM

I have the OTA tuner set to tape COPS every Saturday at 8 pm and 8:30 pm. This week the NASCAR race is on FOX at 8 pm. The 622 has automatically set the COPS event as skipped because it recognizes that COPS is not on at 8.

I want to record the NASCAR race on FOX via the OTA tuner. I can't seem to accomplish this. Any ideas on how to get the 622 to record the NASCAR event on the OTA tuner?

-Funk

Are you getting an error when you try to set this up? Are you running in Single or Dual mode?

Also, what kind of antenna are you using to pick up 5.1? The reason I ask is I'm having trouble picking up FOX with my OTA in the attic.

#3 OFFLINE   Hall

Hall

Icon

• Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 08:58 AM

Tell it to record the race at 8pm on your OTA Fox channel. It should accept it. Worst case, it will show a conflict (when there really isn't one). If so, find the timer for the 8pm race, select it, then choose "Restore".

#4 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 12:37 PM

Funk... IF cops is not on at 8pm, it woudl not show as being skipped you would not see an event timer in your COPS show. When you create an event for Nascar, what do you see as the reason for the program to be skipped. There should be a timer event for it and it should have a line through it?

As hall suggested that is one way of doing it... The other is to raise the priority of your nascar to the #1. Also, if you hit DVR 3 times you get the schedule for the day... look at it and see if you possible can see were the conflicts are if there are any.

Does your FOX ota have EPG guide data? Needs it to come up as an event for you to record. If you are creating a timer schedule (Weekly and all) for nascar on FOX and you are not seeing any timer events in your timer schedule at all then something is wrong if your FOX OTA EPG is showing guide information. If this is the case, give the box a reboot and see if that helps.

Another things to look at... DO you have a duplicate FOX Nascar timer set for SD or Dish HD locals. If so, try removing it and see if that takes care of the situation. Sometimes when you have multiple timers for the same thing for DIshHD, SD and OTA the 622 can get confused.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#5 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 03:21 PM

Funk... IF cops is not on at 8pm, it woudl not show as being skipped you would not see an event timer in your COPS show. ...

Ron,

If you have a WEEKLY timer for Cops at 8:00PM on Channel (Fox) and the Show is pre-empted by another event I am quite certain you will indeed see a message saying it skipped recording because it was not COPS.

Completely different issue if you had, say, a timer for New Episodes of COPS.

#6 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 03:44 PM

Ron,

If you have a WEEKLY timer for Cops at 8:00PM on Channel (Fox) and the Show is pre-empted by another event I am quite certain you will indeed see a message saying it skipped recording because it was not COPS.

Completely different issue if yyou had, say, a timer for New Episodes of COPS.

Yes, it indicates "Incorrect Event" with the title of the program that is on during that time period. It would not indicate "Cops", but Nascar Racing. He may be able to Restore the program and edit the time and get the desired results.

#7 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 04:01 PM

Ron,

Completely different issue if yyou had, say, a timer for New Episodes of COPS.

Ah... Missed that it was a weekly Timer.... I always use New or All for this particular reason if possible. ;) Did not even catch it was set for weekly. Ignore my comments then... Misread the post.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#8 OFFLINE   thefunks67

thefunks67

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 259 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 04:05 PM

"Event Skipped" because it is an "Incorrect Event".

I get the EPG with my locals. I don't have a timer set for the Nascar race.

When I go to the guide and hit Select for the 8:00 skipped event I end up in my "Daily Schedule".

I fixed it by creating a manual timer.

What is strange is that the Guide still has the circle and red X indicating a skipped event even though I have now created a manual timer to record the race.

-Funk

#9 OFFLINE   Hall

Hall

Icon

• Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 05:47 PM

Ah... Missed that it was a weekly Timer.... I always use New or All for this particular reason if possible.

When in doubt, use the defaults. That is, DVR, All or New or Once. I see NO reason to specify Weekly, Daily, or Mon-Fri.

#10 OFFLINE   thefunks67

thefunks67

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 259 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 06:11 PM

When in doubt, use the defaults. That is, DVR, All or New or Once. I see NO reason to specify Weekly, Daily, or Mon-Fri.

I haven't had good luck with "new". Seems the guide flags some repeats as new.

-Funk

#11 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 10:24 PM

I haven't had good luck with "new". Seems the guide flags some repeats as new.

-Funk

That is by design:
If the guide doesn't provide enough info to determine if a show is new or a repeat, the dvr is programed to consider it new.

#12 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 07:28 AM

Well, some of us (apparently including Dish) do see the need.:rolleyes:

#13 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 08:11 AM

True; except if one wants to record a program Weekly, Daily or Mon-Fri.

#14 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 09:09 AM

-Funk

Were you able to record the race OTA? I recorded it on 5.0 and it was so streaky and pixilated it was pretty unwatchable. I just wondered if it was Dish or FOX that was messed up.

#15 OFFLINE   Hall

Hall

Icon

• Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 02:20 PM

Well, some of us (apparently including Dish) do see the need.:rolleyes:

And thefunks can tell you how well it works....

#16 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:24 PM

And thefunks can tell you how well it works....

I guess you still don't get it. :lol:

It worked perfectly. Cops was preempted and it did not plan to record anything. Many of us use the timers that you don't think are of value to record the shows we wish - and have no problem. Of course, understanding how the timers work is nicety.

Now, new subject. How do set a timer for a given event at a time and date that already has a weekly timer vying for that time slot? :rolleyes:

#17 OFFLINE   gary s

gary s

Mentor/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 04:00 PM

I usually just delete the existing timer and then set up the new one.

You just have to remember to set up the one you deleted at a later time.

#18 OFFLINE   Hall

Hall

Icon

• Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 04:11 PM

He still had to create a manual timer for the race and even then, the guide was indicating to him that it was NOT going to record it:

"...the Guide still has the circle and red X indicating a skipped event even though I have now created a manual timer to record the race."

Is he referring to COPS being skipped or the race being skipped (because of a conflict) ?? We don't know....

#19 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 07:48 PM

Well I am going to have to great a weekly timer to even see what one looks like and to see if there is a bug here given I have like zero knowledge with weekly timers. Sounds like NBR is till used in some extent to determine if the timer should fire, looks like it handled that case correctly. However, if there weekly timer event was not going to fire then you should have been able to create a timer and it should be ok...

Might be a bug here.. might be a works as designed... Saltidawg... You seem to have some experience with weeklys. You think there is a bug here with this use case?

#20 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 11:39 PM

Well I went and played with daily timers tonight... Hmmm Ok I know see what the guy was saying. There is a timer with an incorrect event in the timer slot he was trying to create a timer for.

The circle with the X in it Funks I am sure is the incorrect Event that still exited for the cops show. Looks like when you create a daily or weekly event and a show is not the same show that slot is marked as incorrect event as some has indicated. This then makes it hard to create a timer for that slot because the slot is already marked as incorrect.

Looks like the way to address this is with a manual timer or to delete the timer that is creating the incorrect show and recreate a new timer. Either way will work but the 2nd method requires remember to re-create your first timer.

Interesting use case... Not sure how to handle this one except have a way to ignore in addition to skipping the program.

After I look at this one... Given the type of timer used here I would not consider it a bug but think it could be more gracefully handled by adding an ignore feature to timer events.. (Possibly). Well my take.. Learn something new everyday and that is what is cool about this forum.

spam firewall