Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

L4.03 - Duplicate Channels

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wahoolions

wahoolions

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 09:03 AM

Hi all,

I received the 4.03 update about a week ago (although I never had 4.01 or 4.02), but was gone and did not get a chance to really look at it until yesterday. Something weird is going on with my guide. I've got duplicate channels, but some in very odd ways.

A couple of points:

• I have done a hard reset of the system
  • I do not have any channel mapping turned on
  • I do not have any channels locked

I am now seeing WRC (Washington, D.C. local) as:

• 004 SD
  • 004 HD

In addition, I am also seeing weirdness such as:

• 300 - HBO-E
  • 300 - HBOHD

How can two stations be showing up as the same channel number? When I select them from the guide, I'm definitely getting one in HD format and the other in SD.

What should I do to resolve this problem? Should I turn on the channel mapdown as well as locks to remove the duplicates? If I do this, will I need to recreate all of my timers (most of them are recording from the 6000 HD range, and I assume those will go away if I do this)?

Thanks for all your help!

-Gary

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Hunter Green

Hunter Green

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 10:48 AM

This is a "feature" called map-down. I can't remember where you disable it, though. The idea is to make it so that it seems like a single channel which is automatically in HD.

Apparently, and this is almost impossible to believe, many people with HD are still watching the SD channels because they are used to going to the SD channel numbers. This transparently tricks them into going to the HD channels without requiring them to remember the channel number, and that makes them think things are better because suddenly the picture quality is better!

Meanwhile, I'm thinking... people still type in channel numbers? Don't they know they have a DVR?

#3 OFFLINE   msalvail

msalvail

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 11:46 AM

Apparently, and this is almost impossible to believe, many people with HD are still watching the SD channels because they are used to going to the SD channel numbers. This transparently tricks them into going to the HD channels without requiring them to remember the channel number, and that makes them think things are better because suddenly the picture quality is better!

Meanwhile, I'm thinking... people still type in channel numbers? Don't they know they have a DVR?

I love having the HD and SD channels next to each other. Of course, people still type in channel numbers. And in some cases, the programming is different. HGTV and HGTV HD show different things. No one is being 'tricked'. What an odd thing to say.

Just lock out those duplicate channels up in the 9000s and you're good to go.
Mary
*E since '98: Dish 1000.2,VIP622, VIP722K
*D since 4/07 for MLB EI, HR-21

#4 OFFLINE   ScottsFJ40

ScottsFJ40

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 12:18 PM

My first thoughts about the mapdown prior to getting 4.03 was that I was going to automatically turn it off when the download happened. To be honest though, it has grown on my very quickly and I really like the feature now.

#5 OFFLINE   kbuente

kbuente

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 03:19 PM

Yea it is definitely NOT a glitch or a problem but a benefit to have. It doesn't bother me at all to see the same channel, whether SD or HD, listed 4 times. I'm not sure why people go through hoops to disable it but everyone has their own preferences. Perhaps if you always received your local channels in HD maybe you than would want to remove their SD counterparts.

And not to complicate things, if you also had an antennae plugged into the OTA jack, you would than have another location, although in yellow, to view your local station (either in HD or SD but certainly digital).

#6 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 03:51 PM

Just go into the locals menu and hit the hd priority and all duplicate hd channels will go back to their high end numbers and the sd ones back to their low numbers. I personaly go into the locks menu and lock out all duplicate channels in the 9000 range and all sd locals in the 8000 range and hd locals in the 6000 range. I only want the low channel numbers in my guide.

#7 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 08:34 AM

Has anyone ever heard of "Favorites"? Why mess with locks? BTW the duplicate numbers work just fine - type in 110 for Food Network and you get the HD version, down arrow gets you the SD, up arrow back to HD - pretty intuitive if you ask me. Where programming is the same, don't include the SD channel in your favorites list. I leave the SD in the Favorites list because I select my recording from the guide and occasionally I'll record SD on a non-visually important show to save space.

Pat:D

#8 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 08:59 AM

Just go into the locals menu and hit the hd priority and all duplicate hd channels will go back to their high end numbers and the sd ones back to their low numbers. I personaly go into the locks menu and lock out all duplicate channels in the 9000 range and all sd locals in the 8000 range and hd locals in the 6000 range. I only want the low channel numbers in my guide.

Base control for this is in the local channels (menu 6, 9), channel display
Local sat channels--help screen explains the mapdown options

Attached Thumbnails

• localchan-display-h1[1].jpg

Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#9 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:49 PM

[quote name='patmurphey']Has anyone ever heard of "Favorites"? Why mess with locks? BTW the duplicate numbers work just fine - type in 110 for Food Network and you get the HD version, down arrow gets you the SD, up arrow back to HD - pretty intuitive if you ask me. Where programming is the same, don't include the SD channel in your favorites list. I leave the SD in the Favorites list because I select my recording from the guide and occasionally I'll record SD on a non-visually important show to save space.

Pat:D[/quote

I like locks because I lock out all hispanic local channels, all shopping channels, all information channels, all freeview - since I already have AEP. I also lock out duplicate locals, duplicate hd stations in the higher range. Eventually I suppose Dish will do this for all sd channels and add their hd equivalents as they become available. I don't intend to watch them in sd if there is an hd equivalent. I also don't want duplicate versions of channels I don't intend on watching in sd anyway.

#10 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,030 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 22 April 2007 - 06:01 PM

I always figured the locks were there to prevent tuning to a channel. For instance, if you have young children you might want to lock the adult channels whether you watch them or not to prevent the kids from viewing when you aren't around.

But for my viewing, I just made a favorites list... Seems as easy or easier to do that than locking channels I don't watch, and it provides the same net-effect in that my custom favorites list only has the channels I want to watch.

-- My cat's breath smells like cat food.

#11 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 08:46 PM

I don't get it.

#12 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 09:49 PM

I always figured the locks were there to prevent tuning to a channel. For instance, if you have young children you might want to lock the adult channels whether you watch them or not to prevent the kids from viewing when you aren't around.

But for my viewing, I just made a favorites list... Seems as easy or easier to do that than locking channels I don't watch, and it provides the same net-effect in that my custom favorites list only has the channels I want to watch.

I'm sure that was the initial reason for the locks, but leave it to people like us to come up with another use.

Personally I like to use the locks, not only for adult channels, but for all the other channels I consider useless and would never watch. This way they don't show up in any of my guide lists. I then use favorites for small subsets of channels I may want to scan through in the guide. i.e. I have one that just has my OTA channels for the major networks so I can quickly scan through primetime for a week on a single screen by just hitting skip forward. I also have another one for all the channels that show HD movies all the time so I can scan for HD movies to watch/record. Stuff like that.
Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

#13 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,030 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 22 April 2007 - 11:25 PM

I haven't looked into locks much... but maybe I will now. I hadn't thought about using them in that way, locking out channels I know I will never watch... then using my Favorites list to pare down even further.

I basically have a Favorites with all the channels I might watch sometimes... but maybe I should create a few like one for OTA and one for most-watched... then lock down everything I know I never will watch. That could be useful.

-- My cat's breath smells like cat food.

#14 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 11:44 PM

I use locks basically the same way Rob does.. See locks and favorites as complimentary features for sure. Of course the other use for locks is to protect content from people you don't want to have access to. What would be nice if there was a hide feature and a lock. That way you could remove all the channels you did not care about and then use the lock to truly lock out channels when necessary and have the ability to unlock them without brining back all those channels you do not care about..... Really would be nice to see those feature separated.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#15 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 09:00 AM

My point about locks being overkill was in reference to the map-down feature. I understand the use of locks to block access to certain programming by children. We are all adults in my household and I believe that Favorites lists are the most elegant way to use the guide for my family. I also want to have the "All Subscribed" list available at any time with no password hassle to guests and to occasionally find unusual (for me) programs when I feel like browsing. If you normally use Favorites to access the guide, locks are an unnecessary waste of time to deal with map-downs.

#16 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 10:09 AM

My point about locks being overkill was in reference to the map-down feature. I understand the use of locks to block access to certain programming by children. We are all adults in my household and I believe that Favorites lists are the most elegant way to use the guide for my family. I also want to have the "All Subscribed" list available at any time with no password hassle to guests and to occasionally find unusual (for me) programs when I feel like browsing. If you normally use Favorites to access the guide, locks are an unnecessary waste of time to deal with map-downs.

To each his own Pat. Just be thankful that there are options for everyone's different tastes and uses.

spam firewall