Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

"Can not locate satellite" Weird problem and fix!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Bill Marsh

Bill Marsh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 06:07 AM

I just had my ViP 622 installed and wanted to let people know about a crazy problem in case you experience it. I had FOUR Dish techinicians here for a DAY AND A HALF trying to figure out a problem.:sure:

I was getting "can't find satellite" error messages. They thought that the problem was that I had the ViP 622 installed in a rack too close to my computers.:eek2:

They replaced the ViP 622 THREE times! Moved it all over the house, trailing wires. Replaced the LNB's THREE times. Replaced the incoming cables, twice. Replaced the Dish dish/antenna thingie, twice. Relocated the antenna.

However the problem was that when I rewired my local circuit breaker box, I wired the outlets so that the ground plugs were wired to the neutral (white) incoming power line. It should have been wired to the earth rod./ground. Never had a problem with anything else. But the ViP 622 is sensitive to thie fault.
Oops!:nono2:

This small problem was a nightmare for Dish installers. Finally the technicians decided to just cut off the Dish ground plug and eveything now works fine. I am rewiring the circuit breaker box to correct this situation and will replace the ground plug.

I know this lack of ground is not a good idea, but it would not work otherwise. I really wish that Dish had just added in a two prong adapter (the kind where you need to plug in a thre prong plug into a two prong outlet), but they didn't . I have the service tech's number and will be sure to remind him he cut it off if I have a problem.:rolleyes:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   oljim

oljim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 06:15 AM

If you had used a Pannamax surge protector it would have told you that ground was bad.

#3 OFFLINE   BNUMM

BNUMM

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 07:01 AM

I just had my ViP 622 installed and wanted to let people know about a crazy problem in case you experience it. I had FOUR Dish techinicians here for a DAY AND A HALF trying to figure out a problem.:sure:

I was getting "can't find satellite" error messages. They thought that the problem was that I had the ViP 622 installed in a rack too close to my computers.:eek2:

They replaced the ViP 622 THREE times! Moved it all over the house, trailing wires. Replaced the LNB's THREE times. Replaced the incoming cables, twice. Replaced the Dish dish/antenna thingie, twice. Relocated the antenna.

However the problem was that when I rewired my local circuit breaker box, I wired the outlets so that the ground plugs were wired to the neutral (white) incoming power line. It should have been wired to the earth rod./ground. Never had a problem with anything else. But the ViP 622 is sensitive to thie fault.
Oops!:nono2:

This small problem was a nightmare for Dish installers. Finally the technicians decided to just cut off the Dish ground plug and eveything now works fine. I am rewiring the circuit breaker box to correct this situation and will replace the ground plug.

I know this lack of ground is not a good idea, but it would not work otherwise. I really wish that Dish had just added in a two prong adapter (the kind where you need to plug in a thre prong plug into a two prong outlet), but they didn't . I have the service tech's number and will be sure to remind him he cut it off if I have a problem.:rolleyes:

What the installer did is unacceptable and you should have an electrician check your wiring to make sure something else is not connected wrong.

spam firewall