Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No Local Channels from central to most all of western Virginia?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MAVERICK007

MAVERICK007

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 07:05 AM

There are no D*TV local channels offered in most of central and western Virginia! This includes the cities of Charlottesville(UVA), Staunton and Harrisonburg. However, Dish Network has offered 3 of 4 local Charlottesville affiliates for over a year.
Is there any where I can check to see if locals are on the horizon for our area? :beatdeadhorse:

DirecTV Subscriber Since 2002
HR20-100 & H20 (2)
42" Sony XBR
Onkyo TXSR805 THX Receiver
Denon 1730 DVD
Panamax 5300-EX Power
Boston Acoustic In-Wall 5.1
Sirius Subscriber

:flag: :icon_cool

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MAVERICK007

MAVERICK007

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 07:39 AM

Yes, I have written directly to the General Manager's of the local affiliates with only very general responses. No commitments or hard info.

DirecTV Subscriber Since 2002
HR20-100 & H20 (2)
42" Sony XBR
Onkyo TXSR805 THX Receiver
Denon 1730 DVD
Panamax 5300-EX Power
Boston Acoustic In-Wall 5.1
Sirius Subscriber

:flag: :icon_cool

#3 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,983 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 05:28 PM

Probably not the answer you want, but these are VERY small DMA's. They rank in the 180's.

I suggest you "move" into either Roanoke or Richmond DMA's. By "move", I mean call D* and tell them you moved and give them an address located in the DMA of your choice. The go online and stop paper statements.

You should be in the spotbeams for either one.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#4 OFFLINE   Ext 721

Ext 721

Icon

• Registered
  • 555 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 12:37 PM

D* is likely to give you your locals...as soon as ALL the HD moves off the 119 and 110 sat.

When's that? I'd say over a year, but probably less than three.:rolleyes:
....Not Purchased.

#5 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 01:21 PM

In the recent filings for the Liberty buyout of DirecTV, a condition of the buyout would be that DirecTV must provide SD locals to all 210 markets by the end of 2008.

So assuming the buyout is approved they are coming. Once they get HD off 110 and 119 they will have a bunch of bandwidth to do just that.

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,701 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 April 2007 - 02:18 PM

In the recent filings for the Liberty buyout of DirecTV, a condition of the buyout would be that DirecTV must provide SD locals to all 210 markets by the end of 2008.

Where did you find this?

I'm dubious about such an idea for a couple of reasons:

1. New Corp and Liberty Media are the ones making the deal for 39% of the DirecTV stock and some RSNs. Other parties will still own 61% of the DirecTV stock. Presumably, the only approval required is from the shareholders of both companies (News Corp shareholders recently approved) and maybe a blessing from the FTC.

2. It probably isn't economically feasible to turn up the smallest markets and gummint regulations wouldn't seem to be holding a gun to their heads. There are doubtless much higher return ways to spend the bandwidth; especially in cases where DNS is an option.

#7 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,701 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 April 2007 - 05:36 PM

More details regarding DirecTV's plans to fulfill the News/Hughes LIL commitments:

As part of the previous News Corp FCC proceedings (aka News/Hughes) DirecTV did in fact commit to hitting all DMAs by 2008. As always, the interpretation of "by" a date range is key.

In DirecTV's response filed with the FCC on April 9, 2007, they reaffirm that they intend to provide LIL service to all 210 DMAs, but leave the door open to the idea that it may not come via satellite:

DIRECTV’s provision of local-into-local service has also long been the subject of public
discussion. DIRECTV has spent, and will continue to spend, billions of dollars in providing
local-into-local service to as many Americans as economically possible. Currently, it retransmits
local signals by satellite in 142 markets – a dozen more than required under the News/Hughes
order – covering over 94% of the nation’s television households. And it will meet the
commitments made in the News/Hughes transaction to provide seamless, integrated local service
in all 210 markets nationwide by 2008. As the Commission recognized in that proceeding,
however, the number of markets it will serve by satellite depends on a number of economic and
technical variables.

It will be interesting what measures that they will take to make this happen and whether or not there are penalties for failure to meet the commitment.

My theory is that in order to offer "seamless, integrated local service" would seem to demand that the affected subscribers would be provided with receivers and/or DVRs capable of tuning analog OTA channels if the channels aren't available via satellite. I'm have not idea how they might address "white areas" or whether they would be required to deal with them at all.

If this "offer" to sustain the News/Hughes SD LIL agreement remains, it should be good times for the unserved DMAs (unless they're getting DNS now and want to keep it).

#8 OFFLINE   rkjg24

rkjg24

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 05:41 PM

I didn't know they were going to move all the HD off of the 119 and 110. That's just going to be great, hearing the griping from the people with anything but the H20 and HR20.

#9 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,983 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:05 PM

I didn't know they were going to move all the HD off of the 119 and 110. That's just going to be great, hearing the griping from the people with anything but the H20 and HR20.

Its been the plan for going on 3 years now. And in addition to the H20/HR20, you will need a new dish as well.:eek2:

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...