Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Red Wings/Flames game on 95 not in HD?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Laserjock

Laserjock

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 07:25 PM

Are they having issues or is it truly not being broadcast in HD? HDSportsGuide lists it being in HD.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   shmengie

shmengie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 359 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 22 April 2007 - 07:27 PM

not only is it not in hd, it's a crappy feed from canada, so it looks worse than sd.

#3 OFFLINE   Laserjock

Laserjock

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 07:34 PM

I wonder why they would take up one of the HD slots with the game if it obviously is not an HD feed?

Odd...

#4 OFFLINE   JohnL

JohnL

Icon

• Registered
  • 701 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 08:30 PM

Are they having issues or is it truly not being broadcast in HD? HDSportsGuide lists it being in HD.

Laserjock,

There are no ISSUES, unless you say that VERSUS JUST SUCKS. Versus is not carrying "Bonus Coverage" games in HD. This being the ONLY game tonight and a Game 6 Elimination game it is a "Bonus Coverage" game so NO HD on VERSUS even though Versus is using their HD channelto carry it.

Don't forget that Versus isn't carrying any games in HD on Thursdays or Fridays either.

Versus press release says that ALL Quarterfinal games are being carried in HD, with a little Footnote (except Bonus Coverage games) that are 1/3 of covered games, OOH as well as No HD on Thursday and Friday which is almost another 1/3 of Versus's games.

So of all those Quarterfinal games that Versus airs only about HALF of ALL QUARTERFINAL Games are being carried in HD from Versus. Talk about BULLC$#P.

The NHL needs to get back on a REAL sports channel instead of "VERSES". What a STUPID name for a channel. I wonder what Network Exec came up will that or Green Lighted it, they should get fired, or at least lose their Bonus.

John

#5 OFFLINE   Mocco71

Mocco71

Godfather

• Registered
  • 365 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 09:29 PM

Laserjock,

There are no ISSUES, unless you say that VERSUS JUST SUCKS. Versus is not carrying "Bonus Coverage" games in HD. This being the ONLY game tonight and a Game 6 Elimination game it is a "Bonus Coverage" game so NO HD on VERSUS even though Versus is using their HD channelto carry it.

Don't forget that Versus isn't carrying any games in HD on Thursdays or Fridays either.

Versus press release says that ALL Quarterfinal games are being carried in HD, with a little Footnote (except Bonus Coverage games) that are 1/3 of covered games, OOH as well as No HD on Thursday and Friday which is almost another 1/3 of Versus's games.

So of all those Quarterfinal games that Versus airs only about HALF of ALL QUARTERFINAL Games are being carried in HD from Versus. Talk about BULLC$#P.

The NHL needs to get back on a REAL sports channel instead of "VERSES". What a STUPID name for a channel. I wonder what Network Exec came up will that or Green Lighted it, they should get fired, or at least lose their Bonus.

John

They could call it the sh*t sandwich network for all I care, just want to see the games, and in HD when available. Half the time it's the network (tonight's case ~ not showing bonus coverage in HD), the other half is when D* decides to show the Marlins vs Phillies - a meaningless baseball game on channel 95 instead of show HD playoff hockey.

#6 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 10:35 PM

not only is it not in hd, it's a crappy feed from canada, so it looks worse than sd.

I am watching the CBC broadcast via my Canadian dish...while it's still 4:3 SD, the quality is significantly better than watching the same broadcast via VS. on 95.

#7 OFFLINE   shmengie

shmengie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 359 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 22 April 2007 - 11:00 PM

so, it's a copy of a copy of a copy, huh?

#8 OFFLINE   Steve0296

Steve0296

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 12:24 AM

so, it's a copy of a copy of a copy, huh?

I decided the broadcast on 608 looked slightly less crappy than 95 and watched it there. Sad. It was nice to hear Drew Remenda though.

#9 OFFLINE   shmengie

shmengie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 359 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 23 April 2007 - 07:49 AM

I decided the broadcast on 608 looked slightly less crappy than 95 and watched it there. Sad. It was nice to hear Drew Remenda though.

funny, i thought 95 was a little better than 608. they were both pretty crummy, but 95 looked a bit sharper to me (too sharp actually, like someone turned the sharpness setting on their tv all the way up) whereas 608 looked 'soft', like someone had put vaseline on their tv.

#10 OFFLINE   Steve0296

Steve0296

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 09:29 AM

funny, i thought 95 was a little better than 608. they were both pretty crummy, but 95 looked a bit sharper to me (too sharp actually, like someone turned the sharpness setting on their tv all the way up) whereas 608 looked 'soft', like someone had put vaseline on their tv.

It was a tough call, they were both crummy. 95 was sharper but kind of noisy. Ironically it probably would have been better for Center Ice subscribers if Versus had just stayed out of it. We probably would have gotten a better feed of the same game - HNIC feeds on CI are usually quite good for SD. Versus is trying but just not up to the task. As many of us have said, I'd like to see the NHL back on ESPN.

#11 OFFLINE   pedro4868

pedro4868

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 09:36 AM

I think its ridiculous how d* only shows an hd game for center ice subscribers when nothing else is available to show on 95.
Go Blues.....

Westinghouse 37" LTV-37w2
Olevia 27'' hdtv
5 LNB Sat.
HR-20 700 (1)
H20 Receiver (1)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...