Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray War Thread - Update: Toshiba formally announces end of HD DVD

• Please log in to reply
3122 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,248 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:56 AM

In an effort to consolidate the plethora of news reports and press releases about the
great HD DVD vs Blu-Ray battle, I am starting this thread. If you have news or views
about the fight for hi-def format superiority, whether about disc sales or hardware
news, please feel free to contribute to this thread.

Moderator update (Tom Robertson): Toshiba has formally announced it will cease HD DVD business. Press Release

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,248 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:59 AM

April 23, 2007 - Sales of the Blu-ray HDTV DVD again beat rival HD DVD in March giving the
Sony-backed format a 69-31 percent sales lead in the first three months of 2007, says Nielsen
Video Scan. Blu-ray backers say the widening lead is evidence of the format pulling away from
its competition; HD DVD supporters say their format will rebound thanks to lower player prices
and new title releases in time for the summer. - SkyReport

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#3 OFFLINE   PetSounds66

PetSounds66

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 09:53 AM

I went HD-DVD last June...which means that Blu-Ray will likely win...:nono2:

#4 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,437 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 23 April 2007 - 10:18 AM

My guess is that the pendulum will swing the other way now that Toshiba has a sub $400 DVD HD player on the market. Blu-Ray has been the market leader due to the Sony PS3. I'm one of the many who have decided on DVD HD because of the price of the Toshiba player.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#5 OFFLINE   bluemoon737

bluemoon737

Godfather

• Registered
  • 500 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 10:25 AM

My guess is that the pendulum will swing the other way now that Toshiba has a sub $400 DVD HD player on the market. Blu-Ray has been the market leader due to the Sony PS3. I'm one of the many who have decided on DVD HD because of the price of the Toshiba player.

I agree with the low priced Toshiba player helping, but once Pirates of the Caribbean, Cars, and Spiderman hit the shelves it will result in a HUGE spike for Blu-Ray. Content will likely win this "war".
-Jeff-
HR34-700, HR24-100, HR24-100, HR21-100, HR21-200, H23-600

#6 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 10:53 AM

I have both so don't really care. :) I would like to see HD-DVD come out on top but as bluemoon said, content will play a huge factor and Blu-Ray has the edge on that.

#7 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 10:56 AM

I have a PS3 for Blu-Ray and the HD-DVD add on for my Xbox360 for now. That was the cheapest way to go for now. When one of them win or a nice player they will play both come out I will buy a nice player than.

#8 OFFLINE   gazzie4

gazzie4

Legend

• Registered
  • 239 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:48 PM

Don't forget what Matrix did for DVD and since we are only 3-4 weeks away from it hitting HD DVD, and not blu ray (may come out later this year on blu ray), we'll see what really happens in this market
HR20-700 esata 500 gig, HDMI to 47" VIZIO LCD 1080p HDTV, Blu-Ray, HD DVD and VUDU hooked up
HR20-700 HDMI to 32" Vizio HDTV and Svideo to Slingbox HD DVD hooked up
R15 svideo to Samsung LCDTV
5LNB dish

#9 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,248 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 06:09 PM

Samsung's new BD-UP5000 sits squarely on the high-definition fence

If you're an AV pacifist then the whole next-generation DVD format war will no doubt be as
distasteful to you as kicking kittens. Luckily, Samsung wants you to preserve your moral
code by finding a peaceful compromise. Its new BS-UP5000 will play both HD DVD and
Blu-ray without so much as a cross word or angry gesture.

So, what does this mean for the formats? Well, the bad news for peace lovers is that one
of the formats is going to have to die...

More @ MSN.com

Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#10 OFFLINE   kfcrosby

kfcrosby

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 01:21 PM

Here we go.....

Wal-Mart Names HD DVD the Winner

http://news.digitalt...alkback184.html

http://blog.wired.co...rt_muscle_.html

Kevin Crosby
Memphis, TN
DirecTV subscriber since 1996

#11 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,437 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 07:17 PM

I agree with the low priced Toshiba player helping, but once Pirates of the Caribbean, Cars, and Spiderman hit the shelves it will result in a HUGE spike for Blu-Ray. Content will likely win this "war".

Both camps have their exclusives. In addition to the aforementioned Ultimate Matrix trilogy, HD DVD has Batman Begins, Caddyshack, Casablanca, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The Perfect Storm, Phantom of the Opera, Poseidon, Terminator 3, Troy and V for Vendetta. Granted, not all are great movies, but they definitely have the visual "WOW!" effect.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#12 OFFLINE   tomcrown1

tomcrown1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 10:30 AM

[quote name='Nick']Samsung's new BD-UP5000 sits squarely on the high-definition fence

If you're an AV pacifist then the whole next-generation DVD format war will no doubt be as
distasteful to you as kicking kittens. Luckily, Samsung wants you to preserve your moral
code by finding a peaceful compromise. Its new BS-UP5000 will play both HD DVD and
Blu-ray without so much as a cross word or angry gesture.

So, what does this mean for the formats? Well, the bad news for peace lovers is that one
of the formats is going to have to die...

More @ MSN.com[/QUOTE

The Samsung BD-UP5000 will be my next DVD---or it my be the pioneer as their are rumors that pioneer will have a universal DVD that will include DVDA and SACD.

Notice both audio formats are now dead can this happen to HDDVD and BLUE RAY DVD??

Will a new format come along the make the other format go bye bye ??
Welcome to Dish the new AT&T

:) life is to to to short so be???

#13 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,549 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 April 2007 - 10:39 AM

The Samsung BD-UP5000 will be my next DVD---or it my be the pioneer as their are rumors that pioneer will have a universal DVD that will include DVDA and SACD.

Notice both audio formats are now dead can this happen to HDDVD and BLUE RAY DVD??

Will a new format come along the make the other format go bye bye ??

The problem with DVDA and SACD was that the content was essentially the same and you most don't have time to settle down in front of the home theatre system to listen to music while others are trying to watch TV. Anybody remember CD+G???

With the advanced interactive features and HD capabilities of the DVD HD video formats, I think they're sufficiently differentiated from DVD to make them worth going after.

#14 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,248 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 05:46 AM

PC Magazine:

Wal-Mart denied rumors that it had placed a substantial order with a Taiwan supplier for
ultra-cheap HD DVD players that could swing the format wars in that direction.

A spokesperson for the company said Thursday that reported leaks concerning Taiwan-
based consumer electronics manufacturer, Fuh Yuan, partnering with TDK in China to
manufacture the $250-299 players, had no merit. The report first appeared in AVS
Forums, and was picked up by other Web sites.

"The article… was full of inaccuracies and we had no participation in it," the spokesman
said in an e-mail to PC Magazine. "Most of the facts, including the purchase, were untrue,"
she added. "Not sure how it originated." ...

More @ http://www.pcmag.com...,2122715,00.asp

Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#15 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,248 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 10:31 AM

The HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray format war will not be
won by either format, but by dual-format players.

Dual format high-definition DVD players will be the norm, says research

When LG Electronics launched its Super Multi Blue Player at the recent CES exhibition, it signaled an exit strategy from the "war of the high-definition DVD formats," according to research firm ABI Research. By creating a player that will accommodate both HD-DVD and Blu-ray discs, the Korean manufacturer may have created a precedent that the rest of the industry will have to follow. ABI Research forecasts that such universal players will become the norm, not the exception, benefiting confused consumers unwilling to commit to one DVD camp or the other.

"We believe that universal players will come to dominate the high-definition DVD player market," says Steve Wilson, ABI Research's principal analyst of consumer electronics. Samsung is expected to release its own universal player soon, and others, including large CE vendors, may follow suit before long. ABI Research forecasts sales of 2.4 million players in 2007, rising to 55 million in 2011. ...

More @ www.abiresearch.com/abiprdisplay.jsp?pressid=796

Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#16 OFFLINE   wakajawaka

wakajawaka

Godfather

• Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 11:29 AM

Just a heads up, while the LG does play HD DVD, it does not support any of the interactive menus. Now, I'm sure that will all change soon and we'll have a 100% compatible universal player.

#17 OFFLINE   wakajawaka

wakajawaka

Godfather

• Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 11:36 AM

The problem with DVDA and SACD was that the content was essentially the same and you most don't have time to settle down in front of the home theatre system to listen to music while others are trying to watch TV. Anybody remember CD+G???

With the advanced interactive features and HD capabilities of the DVD HD video formats, I think they're sufficiently differentiated from DVD to make them worth going after.

What really hurt DVD-A and SACD was the iPod (or mp3 players in general). Hi-Res audio is a niche market. I hope DVD-A and SACD don't completly die off, there are still a few of us out there that like to just sit and listen to music.

#18 OFFLINE   tomcrown1

tomcrown1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 11:43 AM

What really hurt DVD-A and SACD was the iPod (or mp3 players in general). Hi-Res audio is a niche market. I hope DVD-A and SACD don't completly die off, there are still a few of us out there that like to just sit and listen to music.

AGREED!!!
Welcome to Dish the new AT&T

:) life is to to to short so be???

#19 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 11:59 AM

I agree but the reality is that in this new world of portability, just sitting a listening to music at home is rare. Heck, most of my music listening is done in my car which is where most of my money goes for audio.

The other thing is that the older I get, the less high resolution audio becomes a factor. I can barely hear above 15 KHZ so investing in high end audio electronics and hi res music is not practical. At least my eyes are still 20/20 with no need for glasses thus, Hi-Def video is what I love. :)

#20 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,437 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 12:22 PM

The other thing is that the older I get, the less high resolution audio becomes a factor. I can barely hear above 15 KHZ so investing in high end audio electronics and hi res music is not practical. At least my eyes are still 20/20 with no need for glasses thus, Hi-Def video is what I love. :)

Chris, it's a common misconception that people with hearing losses or inability to hear extreme high or low frequencies won't benefit from high end sound systems. In actuality, the reverse is probably true, due to their more accurate reproduction of sound. You can perform a simple test -- listen to some music with wide dynamic range on a portable radio or common car radio or a low cost sound system, then listen to the same msic on a quality sound system. Although this is an oversimplification, I'd be surprised if you didn't notice the difference.

Charlie
--------------------

spam firewall