Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray War Thread - Update: Toshiba formally announces end of HD DVD

• Please log in to reply
3122 replies to this topic

#201 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 10:00 AM

After HD DVD Coup, Blu-ray Strikes Back
http://www.dealersco...var=story#73058

A day after the HD DVD format welcomed Paramount and DreamWorks into its exclusive fold, its rival Blu-ray Disc struck back, with its partners Twentieth Century Fox and MGM announcing a slate of 29 titles for the fall.

More...
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#202 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 22 August 2007 - 10:11 AM

If they want to drive the nails in, Fox needs to release all six "Star Wars". As for me, I'm buying the $550 Samsung duo, and getting 10 free movies!

#203 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,425 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 22 August 2007 - 10:15 AM

While the rival camps battle, consumers by and large stay away, as confirmed by many comments on this thread. As I stated in a previous post, I currently own a Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player. When they become more affordable, I'll no doubt add a Blu-ray Disc player. Of course, that means I'll have to get an HDMI switcher, since my Sony 55" LCD RP TV only has one HDMI input. Set manufacturers are starting to wise up and are offering receivers with two or more HDMI inputs.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#204 OFFLINE   AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 10:16 AM

If they want to drive the nails in, Fox needs to release all six "Star Wars". As for me, I'm buying the $550 Samsung duo, and getting 10 free movies!

Where are you finding the $550 Samsung Duo at?
AT9 w/ Splitters & WB616 / SWM5
Living Room: HR21-700 / HR20-100 & 50" Hitachi 1080P Plasma w/ HD-A30 + Playstation 3 = Purple Nation!
Master Bedroom: HR20-700 & 42" Panasonic Plasma
Both Bedrooms: HR20-100 & 42" Panasonic Plasma.

#205 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 10:21 AM

http://www.xbitlabs....0710231023.html

Samsung’s Duo HD Universal Player to Cost €400.
Samsung’s Blu-ray/HD DVD Player Gets the Price

Category: Multimedia

by Anton Shilov

[ 07/10/2007 | 11:11 PM ]

Samsung Electronics at IFA (Internationale Funhausstellung) conference in
Germany revealed that its first hybrid blue laser-based video player will be relatively affordable and will become available in the fourth quarter of the year.

Samsung’s Duo HD BD-UP5000 will be initially available in Europe and will cost approximately €400 ($550), which is considerably below the cost of LG’s BH100 player that also can playback both Blu-ray and HD DVD movies, reports Digi-Times web-site. It is not exactly clear in which countries the novelty will be available and whether its launch will be supported by widespread availability of Blu-ray or HD DVD movies in Europe.

#206 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 22 August 2007 - 10:44 AM

One day the battle will end

I just hope soon

#207 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 04:04 PM

Paramount's CTO explains why the studio has dumped Blu-Ray Disc for HD DVD:
http://www.pcworld.c...ml?tk=nl_dnxnws

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#208 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 04:48 PM

One day the battle will end

I just hope soon

Ya think? I've lost at least a hundred hairs waiting, and I'm running out!
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#209 OFFLINE   AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 05:26 AM

I wonder if the reason there are no cheap Blu-Ray players is to promote the sales of the PS3? Just curious, a PS3 is about the cost of a blu-ray player and is more functional - it's what I'd buy anyways.
AT9 w/ Splitters & WB616 / SWM5
Living Room: HR21-700 / HR20-100 & 50" Hitachi 1080P Plasma w/ HD-A30 + Playstation 3 = Purple Nation!
Master Bedroom: HR20-700 & 42" Panasonic Plasma
Both Bedrooms: HR20-100 & 42" Panasonic Plasma.

#210 OFFLINE   ibglowin

ibglowin

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:23 AM

The one and only reason we have cheap HD-DVD players is because Toshiba decided a "slash and burn" policy was what was needed to win the format war by quickly building a large HD-DVD player base. You ever wonder why no one else is making any HD-DVD players? Who would want to produce something that you would have to sell at a huge loss just to try and compete with/against Toshiba. I think only one other company is set to put out an HD-DVD player this fall besides Toshiba and its Onkyo who is trying to go after the high end audiophile with a $995 HD-DVD player!

The format war is causing Blu-Ray players to drop faster than what was expected at first. Without it we would still be paying $100 - $150 more than we are currently. Look for prices to drop probably another $50-$100 by the Xmas holiday rush.

Sony is going for a "1,2" punch with a huge onslaught of BD only releases just in time for the Holidays as well as cheaper priced units.

Its good for the consumer in some ways, bad in others...............

I wonder if the reason there are no cheap Blu-Ray players is to promote the sales of the PS3? Just curious, a PS3 is about the cost of a blu-ray player and is more functional - it's what I'd buy anyways.

Mike

"I always wanted to be a scientist, and now I are one."

#211 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,174 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 23 August 2007 - 08:28 AM

It's all about the Benjamins. Up to $150M for an 18 month deal and Paramount "resuses to comment" about that.

#212 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 08:58 AM

Who makes HD DVD players? Besides Toshiba, there's Sanyo, NEC and RCA, and at the high end, of course, there's Onkyo. As to pricing: there's no doubt that Toshiba is betting the store by aggressive pricing. Then, too, it's no doubt cheaper to produce an HD DVD player than a Blu-ray Disc player, technology-wise.
Don't think for a moment that Sony isn't losing money on Blu-ray. They're spending big bucks, promoting their technology -- still smarting over Toshiba's win in the videotape format wars. While the PS/3, with built-in Blu-ray Disc player seems like a bargain, Sony loses a ton of money on each console sold, hoping to offset their losses through software sales, which have a higher profit margin. The same is true with Microsoft and the XBox 360.
Each format has a lot to offer from a consumer standpoint. Right now, HD DVD has the more mature technology. It will be a while until the new generation Blu-ray Disc players hit the market.

Charlie
--------------------

#213 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:29 PM

I was reading a few articles tonight... and the "outrage" that Paramount would do this "exclusive" with HD-DVD...

Where are the corresponding articles, on the "outrage" of Columbia/Sony Pictures? Aren't they pretty much exclusive Blu-Ray?

IMHO... neither side WANTS there to be a decision... they want the two formats for ever...

Why? Gives them a hook, to keep it more expensive...
Look what happen when Divx went away... the prices of DVD's went down... as did the price of the players.... so less money going back to the companies...

Blades of Glory comes out next week... in all three formats..
I would love to get it in HD... but frankly.. .the thought of dropping $30 on it, instead of the $14.99 for the DVD... just isn't going to fly.

300 was still a hard buy at $35... and I had $20 in BB Rewards points, to help offset it....

The first format to offer a sub $200 player (not tied to a game system),
And get the cost of the Movie Sub $20... wins.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#214 OFFLINE   DBS Commando

DBS Commando

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 10:26 PM

I was reading a few articles tonight... and the "outrage" that Paramount would do this "exclusive" with HD-DVD...

Where are the corresponding articles, on the "outrage" of Columbia/Sony Pictures? Aren't they pretty much exclusive Blu-Ray?

IMHO... neither side WANTS there to be a decision... they want the two formats for ever...

Look what happen when Divx went away... the prices of DVD's went down... as did the price of the players.... so less money going back to the companies...

I would love to get it in HD... but frankly.. .the thought of dropping $30 on it, instead of the $14.99 for the DVD... just isn't going to fly.

300 was still a hard buy at $35... and I had $20 in BB Rewards points, to help offset it....

I think the outrage came from the fact that Blu-Ray was close to winning. They had a majority of the studios under their belt, had major retailers such as Blockbuster go Blu-Ray exclusive. Sales were pointing to a 2:1 ratio for Blu-Ray:HD-DVD. Then Paramount came in and blew the Studio balance out of proportion; now it's basically a 50-50 split with Warner Bros. being the only remaining major neutral studio.

Another thing that set everyone off was that MS paid Paramount to go HD-DVD only and you know how much everyone "loves" MS. It would also be kind of stupid to critizice Sony Studios for endorsing their own product.

Another problem I think we have is that a majority of the "fan boy" base supports Blu-Ray because technically it has a slight technological advantage over HD-DVD (mainly the capacity which means jack **** to people who just want to watch a movie) The fan boy base controls the media which means they are constantly hunting for ways to down HD-DVD.

Personally, I'm pulling for HD-DVD because of these main reasons:
  • Cheaper Disc - $20-$25 average vs. $30+)
  • Cheaper Player - HD-DVD players at Amazon are sub $240 and falling, different story if you want 1080p though
  • Name makes more sense - What average uninformed person is going to know what a Blu-Ray is? I think Sony has gone 0 for 2 with their whole naming gig
  • Ability to have the SD and HD versions on the same disc - VERY handy for all those who have relatives that still have tube TV's and aren't planning on upgrading to hi-def anytime soon

Reasons why I haven't purchased HD-DVD already:
  • Lack of good movies - I've been searching the past several months for a plethora of good movies that are HD-DVD exclusives. Unfortunatly, that search has come up empty so far but that may change with Paramount in the picture. Another issue I have is that many of the movies that I like are made by Sony Studios/MGM/Fox
  • Both these formats may not exist this time in a few years
  • The upcoming dual format players may be the catalyst for this entire ordeal - have to wait and see

I agree with you with the pricing and I think that it will be instrumental to the studios on what people are more inclined to buy (ie. the cheaper product or the more expensive) I'm just hoping that all of this is going to happen SOON before the whole drive of the HD movie market collapses. It would be nice if Wal Mart came out and said they were going to go to an exclusive format but I have a feeling that they won't do that until the very end or MS pays them again.

#215 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 07:17 PM

Earl,
Blades of Glory will no longer come out in Blu-Ray after this announcement. According to the Paramount statement the format change starts with Blades of Glory...I had to cancel my pre-order on Amazon after the announcement.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#216 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 06:00 PM

Here it is, your sub $200 HD DVD player!
http://www.alcoelect...ails.aspx?id=15
Posted Image

Venturer Electronics today announced the launch of its first HD DVD player for the North American market. Responding to strong consumer demand for high definition video playback devices, Venturer will introduce the SHD7000 that offers the superior HD movie experience as defined by the DVD Forum. Featuring 1080i video output and an HDMI connection, the SHD7000 is designed to be compatible with the vast majority of HDTVs already in North American consumers' homes. With Ethernet connectivity to the network , the SHD7000 also allows users to access bonus features from movie studio web servers and unlock special prerecorded content on some HD DVD discs. Dolby TrueHD rounds out the high definition experience by presenting the HD DVD disc soundtrack as it was meant to be heard, virtually equal to the studio master. In addition to its HD DVD playback capability, the SHD7000 will upconvert standard DVDs to near HD picture quality via its HDMI connection, allowing a consumer's existing library of DVDs to look better than ever. CD playback is also supported. The SHD7000 will be distributed in North America by Venturer Electronics of Markham, Ontario, and sold through national retailers with retail prices expected to be one of the lowest among entry-level HD DVD players. Venturer Electronics, headquartered in Markham, Ontario, offers a wide selection of value-priced, high quality consumer electronics products. Since 1988, Venturer has focused on making the latest technologies affordable to North American consumers.
More Information: shd@venturer.com

#217 OFFLINE   DBS Commando

DBS Commando

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:18 PM

Here it is, your sub $200 HD DVD player!
http://www.alcoelect...ails.aspx?id=15
Posted Image

Venturer Electronics today announced the launch of its first HD DVD player for the North American market. Responding to strong consumer demand for high definition video playback devices, Venturer will introduce the SHD7000 that offers the superior HD movie experience as defined by the DVD Forum. Featuring 1080i video output and an HDMI connection, the SHD7000 is designed to be compatible with the vast majority of HDTVs already in North American consumers' homes. With Ethernet connectivity to the network , the SHD7000 also allows users to access bonus features from movie studio web servers and unlock special prerecorded content on some HD DVD discs. Dolby TrueHD rounds out the high definition experience by presenting the HD DVD disc soundtrack as it was meant to be heard, virtually equal to the studio master. In addition to its HD DVD playback capability, the SHD7000 will upconvert standard DVDs to near HD picture quality via its HDMI connection, allowing a consumer's existing library of DVDs to look better than ever. CD playback is also supported. The SHD7000 will be distributed in North America by Venturer Electronics of Markham, Ontario, and sold through national retailers with retail prices expected to be one of the lowest among entry-level HD DVD players. Venturer Electronics, headquartered in Markham, Ontario, offers a wide selection of value-priced, high quality consumer electronics products. Since 1988, Venturer has focused on making the latest technologies affordable to North American consumers.
More Information: shd@venturer.com

Good news for HD-DVD, bad for Blu ray. Prices are going to be a big factor in this war.

#218 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,181 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 29 August 2007 - 06:18 AM

MS official says reports of payment untrue

Washington, D.C. (August 29, 2007) -- Kevin Collins, who runs Microsoft's HD DVD
unit, is denying that his company paid Paramount to exclusively back HD DVD in the
high-def format war against Blu-ray.

Paramount and DreamWorks last week stunned the High-Definition industry by
announcing that they will back HD DVD exclusively. Paramount had previously
released films in both formats while DreamWorks had yet to pick a winner in the
battle.

The news led Blu-ray supporters to quickly charge that the studios had been paid
off by Microsoft and Toshiba, the leading companies behind HD DVD. ...

More @ TVPredictions.com

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#219 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 08:43 AM

The Venturer HD DVD player will in all probability be a sub $200 unit sold at Wal-Mart. Venturer in the past has been a low priced provider of consumer electronics to Wal-Mart.

Charlie
--------------------

#220 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:32 AM

Amazon Offers HD DVD Eight-Pack

Amazon.com is offering the biggest hi-def disc movie bundle yet, tossing in eight HD DVD movies with the purchase of one of three Toshiba HD DVD players. The deal adds three movies, directly from Amazon, to the five already offered by HD DVD’s existing “Perfect Offer” promotion.

More.....
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

spam firewall