Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray War Thread - Update: Toshiba formally announces end of HD DVD

• Please log in to reply
3122 replies to this topic

#221 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,829 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 10:34 AM

Oh jeez...

another month goes by and we're still no closer to the end of the format war. Enough, people! Enough! I'll buy one or the other but pick one!
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#222 OFFLINE   AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 11:21 AM

Amazon Offers HD DVD Eight-Pack
More.....

It's not on amazon...
AT9 w/ Splitters & WB616 / SWM5
Living Room: HR21-700 / HR20-100 & 50" Hitachi 1080P Plasma w/ HD-A30 + Playstation 3 = Purple Nation!
Master Bedroom: HR20-700 & 42" Panasonic Plasma
Both Bedrooms: HR20-100 & 42" Panasonic Plasma.

#223 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:50 PM

Sorry... Forgot to post my source.
http://www.dealersco...var=story#73499
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#224 OFFLINE   B Newt

B Newt

Icon

• Registered
  • 661 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:10 PM

I was reading in a magazine that they are going to produce a DVD that has blueray on one side and HD dvd on the otherside. So it wont matter which player you own you still can watch a dvd in HD.

HR20-100 s/w version 0x087f
au9 dish NO multiswitch or diplexers.
Internet connection via WIFI.

#225 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:18 PM

Warner Bros. "Total HD" Disc. "Superman Returns" is one I believe

#226 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:50 PM

This won't do any good unless the studio is contracted to both formats.

#227 OFFLINE   AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 03:42 AM

This won't do any good unless the studio is contracted to both formats.

And pays royalties for both formats, passing that cost onto the consumer.
AT9 w/ Splitters & WB616 / SWM5
Living Room: HR21-700 / HR20-100 & 50" Hitachi 1080P Plasma w/ HD-A30 + Playstation 3 = Purple Nation!
Master Bedroom: HR20-700 & 42" Panasonic Plasma
Both Bedrooms: HR20-100 & 42" Panasonic Plasma.

#228 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:53 AM

Blu-ray Counters HD DVD Offer on Amazon (sort of)
http://www.dealersco...var=story#73598

#229 OFFLINE   Marriner

Marriner

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 04:40 PM

After reading all of the posts in this thread, a couple of things come to mind. Format wars of various kinds have been around for decades. I think that competition is a good thing. On this subject most of us need only look at the E* D* rivalary and their competition with Comcast et al. This healthy battle, both technical and commercial, give us more features, content, programming, etc. To say "i am not getting either one until the other is dead and gone" is the equivalent of getting your TV programming ONLY OTA.

Let the competition rage. Prices will go down. Technology will improve. and you the consumer will win.

Be Ye Patient
ViP722K with OTA tuner (Dual Mode SW L6.86), Western Digital 1 Tb USB hard drive, Sharp LC-52D64U HD TV, Sony V-333ES, Bose AM-10. ViP722K with OTA tuner (Dual Mode SW L6.86), Sling Adapter, Maxtor OneTouch 3 750 Gb hard drive,Vizio E422VA, Sharp 1-bit SD-HX500 surround.

#230 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 07:15 PM

After reading all of the posts in this thread, a couple of things come to mind. Format wars of various kinds have been around for decades. I think that competition is a good thing. On this subject most of us need only look at the E* D* rivalary and their competition with Comcast et al. This healthy battle, both technical and commercial, give us more features, content, programming, etc. To say "i am not getting either one until the other is dead and gone" is the equivalent of getting your TV programming ONLY OTA.

Let the competition rage. Prices will go down. Technology will improve. and you the consumer will win.

Be Ye Patient

It's NOTHING like the E* vs D* rivalry. I can get HBO, Showtime, USA, SciFi, etc on either of them. In the case of HG-DVD vs Blueray I generally can't get the same sontent on each as studios have taken sides. In the end I suppose I could buy both players and both types of media but at some point one or the other will "win" and everything I have invested in the "looser" will go down the toilet. Well, I say NO!!!

I'll wait till there is a clear winner before I show my support (purchasing anything with either logo on it). Let these mega corporations figure these things out with their own money, not mine.
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

#231 OFFLINE   B Newt

B Newt

Icon

• Registered
  • 661 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 07:21 PM

Im still mad that beta and vhs beat out my old cartravison recorder.....:D

HR20-100 s/w version 0x087f
au9 dish NO multiswitch or diplexers.
Internet connection via WIFI.

#232 OFFLINE   Marriner

Marriner

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 07:29 PM

It's NOTHING like the E* vs D* rivalry. I can get HBO, Showtime, USA, SciFi, etc on either of them.

Oh yea..., tune into Rave HD or Monster HD on your HR-20 while I sign up for NFL Sunday Ticket on my E* Box. Consumers make choices all of the time. The Informed choice is usually the best.
ViP722K with OTA tuner (Dual Mode SW L6.86), Western Digital 1 Tb USB hard drive, Sharp LC-52D64U HD TV, Sony V-333ES, Bose AM-10. ViP722K with OTA tuner (Dual Mode SW L6.86), Sling Adapter, Maxtor OneTouch 3 750 Gb hard drive,Vizio E422VA, Sharp 1-bit SD-HX500 surround.

#233 OFFLINE   DBS Commando

DBS Commando

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 07:41 PM

Be Ye Patient

How is this type of competition a good thing? Most of the consumers are keeping their money out of the HD movie market as they wait to see which format will win. Some of them are not even buying regular DVD's because they rather see movies in hi-def and don't want to double dip.

Not to mention, all the studios who are playing favorites are not helping at all.

The sooner this war is over, the better. The technology is similar and I'm sure that as soon as 1 format dies, the prices on the surviving format will shoot up for a while. This is one of the rare times where competition can be a bad thing.

#234 OFFLINE   Marriner

Marriner

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 02:59 PM

How is this type of competition a good thing? Most of the consumers are keeping their money out of the HD movie market as they wait to see which format will win. Some of them are not even buying regular DVD's because they rather see movies in hi-def and don't want to double dip.

Not to mention, all the studios who are playing favorites are not helping at all.

The sooner this war is over, the better. The technology is similar and I'm sure that as soon as 1 format dies, the prices on the surviving format will shoot up for a while. This is one of the rare times where competition can be a bad thing.

Economics 101, Todays Topic: Supply and Demand:

"How is this type of competition a good thing? Most of the consumers are keeping their money out of the HD movie market as they wait to see which format will win."

This behavior, if it is true, will result in a decrease in demand. This will increase the supply of players, software, etc. With a decrease in demand and an increase in supply, what do you get? Anyone?

That's right LOWER PRICES

"Not to mention, all the studios who are playing favorites are not helping at all."

How does this behavior make any sense at all?

I, the big studio home video distribution manager will show those cretons who bought the player I don't support, I will distribute only my preferred format. That will show them!!

They will all come to their senses sometime soon and as always happens the market will determine all of the answers. If nobody buys Blu-ray players this Christmas because they are too expensive, The price will come down. (Exhibit 'A' the $29 DVD player) How many of us had to have the First DVD players back when they were $499.95. I know, I bought my first audio CD player in 1986 for $249 (a no name brand, single disk, with no remote control).

This is not gasoline, electricity, water or anything else required to live or work. Patience will be rewarded if you want to wait. If you don't want to wait, Buy a player that will play your ten favorite movies and enjoy it.

#235 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 02 September 2007 - 05:33 PM

Submitted by Adam on August 31, 2007 - 8:10pm. * Riding Shotgun with Adam

For every Apple device that becomes a standard there is a Sony technology that becomes obsolete. Apple and Sony both got off to a great start in the early 80s. Apple introduced the Mac and Sony gave us the Walkman.

From that point on, Apple has had only a handful of market failures and Sony has had nothing but. Sony announced their latest casualty this week by discontinuing their proprietary ATRAC audio compression file format.

While the rest of the world committed to MP3 and WMA or Apple's music format for iTunes, Sony made up their own format only supported by their devices. Sony saw Apple succeeding with their own format and device and figured they could do the same.

There were only a few problems with this line of thinking. Sony's devices were clunky at best and the obscure conversion format meant that users had to use included software to convert their CDs into the ATRAC format.

Sony tried to make their devices and format more popular by releasing new players every few months for a while surprisingly that didn't work.

The ATRAC format is only the latest proprietary Sony technology to fade into obsolescence.

It all began with BetaMax and it continues with Blu-Ray and the digital book. Sony has a long history of creating their own standards and unsuccessfully trying to get the rest of the world to adopt them.

I believe it's all about the money. With each new Sony format comes licensing issues.

Companies must pay Sony to utilize their technology. Typically the Sony proprietary standard is not any better than the existing standard.

Let's take a quick look back at the long line of Sony proprietary technology...

see the list here

#236 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,425 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 03 September 2007 - 10:25 AM

Wishful thinking on Adam's part? It's silly to suggest that the Playstation, Memory Stick and Blu-ray Disc are failures, since they are currently in the marketplace. Sony has huge market clout and deep pockets. I wouldn't write them off.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#237 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 785 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 08:55 PM

O.k. here is some B.S.

http://news.yahoo.co...g1wEUjKiLNk24cA

"The more positive development for the industry ... would have been having the Blu-Ray-exclusive studios start releasing on HD DVD," Adams said. "We think ... there's some inevitability that they will have to release in both formats."

Wouldn't have just be easier if Paramount Pictures and DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc stayed netural and Universal Studios releasing on both formats. We could have changed one company easier than Half a dozen.

#238 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,337 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 03 September 2007 - 09:42 PM

It's silly to suggest that the Playstation, Memory Stick and Blu-ray Disc are failures, since they are currently in the marketplace.

While the Playstation was an unqualified success, the PS3 has thus far turned out to be little more than a affordable BD player. Memory Stick is still a Sony proprietary exclusive in the tradition noted by machavez00.

Remember Mini Disc and Digital 8?

#239 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,829 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 07:41 AM

...to come back to it, if that Venturer HDDVD player hits WalMart, Target and KMart with a price of $199 or $149 this Xmas, I'm calling it in favor of HDDVD, unless of course Blu-Ray does the same thing.

And don't remind me of Digital 8.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#240 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,425 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 04 September 2007 - 10:33 AM

A little lengthy post: I checked to find availability of high definition DVD players at a few big box stores.
Wal-Mart sells HD DVD players (Toshiba HD-A2) online only (Site to Store) for pickup at a local store. The Sony BDP-S300 Blu-ray Disc player is sold in the Charlotte area at only two stores - one in Gastonia, the other in Monroe. The Sony and the Philips BDP900/37 are both available online.
Target lists the Sony BDP-S300 online with free shipping and also available at some stores, but NOT in Charlotte area stores. The Toshiba HD-A2 and HD-A20 are both listed as available online, with free shipping.
Sears lists the Toshiba HD-A2, Sony BDP-S300 and LG BH100 (dual format) as being available online for home delivery and delivery to store for pickup. No indication on their website as to store stock.
Circuit City lists BD players by LG, Samsung and Sony, but only the Sony players are available in Charlotte area stores (the BDP-S1 is available in only one store). The Toshiba HD-A2 and HD-A20 are listed as available in all three local stores.
As for Best Buy, they have the widest selection of players of the group: the LG BH100, Samsung BD-P1200, Sony BDP-S300, Toshiba HD-A20 and HD-A2 all available both online and in at least one local store. They also list the Panasonic DMP-BD10AK and Pioneer BDP-94HD Blu-ray players as being available only in stores.

My 1500th post!:joy: :icon_kiff

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

spam firewall