Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray War Thread - Update: Toshiba formally announces end of HD DVD

• Please log in to reply
3122 replies to this topic

#2401 OFFLINE   BudShark

BudShark

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:01 AM

Mods -- perhaps it's time to close this thread now that the "war" is over. There is no need for Blu-ray Disc supporter to smirk and say "I told you so." There's no need for more childish arguments from either faction.

:grin: I told you so. ;)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2402 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:03 AM

The thread will stay open until it dies a natural death. There still seems to be some activity in it.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#2403 OFFLINE   Mike728

Mike728

Icon

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:23 AM

That would explain why Philips/LG was ramping down production volumes of the SuperBlu over the last month.

I may not work there anymore, but I still have little birdies chirping to me... :lol:

More than likely it was because of their poor performing players. The new Samsung looks very promising, though.

#2404 OFFLINE   FogCutter

FogCutter

Godfather

• Registered
  • 382 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:37 AM

I would guess that SD DVD format will be around to some time. While the cost of HD equipment is not as bad as it used to be, some people still don't want to spend money on a new HD-T.V. and the equipment that goes with it. So my bet is that SD DVD will stick around for awhile:D

I think you're right. And the upconversions are darned good while the public is straddling the formats. The manufacturers will have to decide whether to buy new SD-DVD mills or jump to BluRay eventually, but that will take years.

Didn't Toshiba and Phillips own the SD-DVD format?

Guess it's Sony's turn this time.

Personally I appreciate the higher data density of BluRay. I recently started video editing in HD, and man, that eats the gigabytes. I've nearly filled a terabyte drive in less than six months and I need to start looking at archival backups. BluRay just holds more now and I read that someone is testing a 100 GB recordable BluRay disk. Bring it on.

I like the idea of using a single format for backup and presentation, plus the more machines I have that can play it back the less likely I'll have a show stopping failure near a deadline.

Now I can buy a BluRay burner and drives without having to worry about being on the wrong side of the battle and getting to do it all again down the road.

Might just go completely crazy and buy a BluRay player today. I have a nice spot ready for it on top of my HD-DVD player.

#2405 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,041 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:45 AM

Mods -- perhaps it's time to close this thread now that the "war" is over. There is no need for Blu-ray Disc supporter to smirk and say "I told you so." There's no need for more childish arguments from either faction.

I echo Shark.... "I told you so!" :grin:

But seriously, I have been spanked many times over my preference toward Blu Ray.... To the point I had people calling me names.... over at AVS.... and that happened cause I made a statement that I preferred Blu.... and I was not being cocky, just made an opinion and even labeled it as an opinion...... so now that the Blu people have a chance to regain the self esteem that the HD people stripped you want the thread to be closed so the same cannot happen to you guys?

Charlie I like ya man.... But paybacks a B^*&#..... :lol:

#2406 OFFLINE   lisakson

lisakson

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:45 AM

I wonder what Microsoft will do now since HD-DVD lost the war?? Will they replace the HD-DVD player they sell (For the X-Box 360) with a Blue-Ray version?

Enquirering minds want to know

Here is some info I found this.

Microsoft does not expect sales of its Xbox 360 game console to suffer if Toshiba discontinues HD DVD technology, Microsoft said in a statement on Monday.
"We do not believe the recent reports about HD DVD will have any material impact on the Xbox 360 platform or our position in the marketplace," the company said. "We will wait until we hear from Toshiba before announcing any specific plans around the Xbox 360 HD DVD player."

Xbox 360 supports a plug-in HD DVD accessory that allows customers to view high definition DVDs produced only with this Toshiba technology.

Toshiba sources said on Saturday that the company is preparing to exit the HD DVD business, thereby surrendering a two-year battle to control the format of next-generation DVDs. The Nikkei business daily has reported that Toshiba plans to make an announcement on Tuesday.

Customers would be left to buy high-definition DVDs produced with Blu-ray, a technology controlled by Sony.

The Microsoft statement pledged that Xbox 360 customers would continue to be able to consume high-definition movies, television programs, and DVDs they already own.

In January, a Microsoft executive said the company would be open to supporting Blu-ray technology for its Xbox 360 machine.

#2407 OFFLINE   syphix

syphix

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:50 AM

I initially liked Blu-ray, but then shifted to HD DVD because of the unfinished "profiles" of Blu-ray, and the region-free-ness of HD DVD (the $200 XBOX 360 drive didn't hurt my decision, either). I also felt it was the natural progression and the name alone would help sell it: HD DVD is...an HD DVD -- what the hell is "Blu-ray"??

I'm a little ticked, but I'll get over it and probably buy a Blu-ray player when they get down to having a 2.0 Profile player for $250 or so.
Nathan
setup:
- 50" Plasma 1080p HDTV (Samsung PN50A760), 46" LCD 1080p HDTV (Samsung LN-T4665F), 32" LCD 720p HDTV (Insignia). 1 Hopper, 2 Joeys.

#2408 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

• Super Moderators
  • 10,041 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:53 AM

Didn't Toshiba and Phillips own the SD-DVD format?

Nope...

The DVD war was Toshiba and Matsu$hita (Panasonic) against Sony and Philips.

And the DVD (Digital Versatile Disc) is actually a trademark of Philips. Toshiba had it own Super MMDC format, but when all 4 party's made the truce through the DVD Consortium it was the DVD name that stuck even though it was not the actual Sony/Philips DVD format that won.

#2409 OFFLINE   SteveHas

SteveHas

Hall of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:54 AM

I echo Shark.... "I told you so!" :grin:

But seriously, I have been spanked many times over my preference toward Blu Ray.... To the point I had people calling me names.... over at AVS.... and that happened cause I made a statement that I preferred Blu.... and I was not being cocky, just made an opinion and even labeled it as an opinion...... so now that the Blu people have a chance to regain the self esteem that the HD people stripped you want the thread to be closed so the same cannot happen to you guys?

Charlie I like ya man.... But paybacks a B^*&#..... :lol:

+1
whats up with AVS
man those guys are vicious,

D* Customer Since 1999

• Dish
  • Slimline-3 SWiM 16, 
    Familyroom
  • DirecTV HR44-700  
  • Panasonic 55" TC-P55GT50 plasma HDMI/ DECA, CAT6, OTA
  • Nintendo Wii,
  • Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Blu-Ray, CAT6
  • Pioneer VSX-1120 7.1 CAT6,
  • Cambridge Sound Works Ensemble 1 - front, S300 - surround back, Center Stage - center, Polk RM7 - surround side, and Bass Cube 8
    Master Bedroom
  • DirecTV HR24-500 
  • Vizio 37" SV370XVT LCD HDMI/DECA, CAT6 - can I just take a moment to say how awesome this TV is
  • Sony BDP-BX3B Blu-Ray, CAT6
    Basement
  • Samsung 52" LNT5271 FX LCD HDMI/DECA, CAT 6, OTA
  • Sony PS3,
  • Denon AVR 2108, KEF C40
    Son's Room
  • Vizio 42" E3D420 VX LCD HDMI/DECA, CAT 6, OTA
    Network
  • Linksys EA4500 802.11N Gigabit router
  • 2 - D-Link DGS-1008G Gigabit switches
  • DirecTV Home Cinema Connection
  • DirecTV GenieGo
  • ISP: Verizon FiOs Quantum 50/35
  • Dell Studio 540 Quad Core Q8200 64 Bit, Cat6
  • 64 bit Windows 8 Home Premium w/ Windows Media Center, 8 gigs RAM, PlayOn
  • HP DV6-1243CLB Core 2 Duo T6600, 802.11N
  • 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium, 4 gigs RAM
  • Compaq Presario SR1650NX AMD 64, Cat6
  • 64 bit Windows 8 Home Premium w/ Windows Media Center, 6 gigs RAM
  • Apple Mac Mini Intel processor, 802.11N
  • Snow Leopard, 2 gigs RAM
  • iPhone 5S
  • iPad 2
  • Both iOS 8.1
  • 3879075488.png

#2410 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:58 AM

Tibber - did you *really* set your alarm for 3AM (1AM mountain) to be the first to quote this press release???? :D

Actually I'm somewhat often still up at that time. (In a previous life, I would exchange emails with my director of development in real time at 3am. He be getting up, I'd be almost going to bed.) :

Bring on the Bourne Box set in BD.......

Yeah, baby! BRING IT!!!

<moderator response>So far the childish has died down, thanks to all the good readers here. This thread still has a purpose to talk about transitions, studio updates, and reactions. At some point it will unsticky, then rise and fall like any thread. </mod>

Thanks everyone for playing nice. Thanks also for the updates.

And thanks in advance for the future updates you'll find for all of us.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#2411 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:12 AM

Owned a Pinto. Check
Voted for McGovern. Check
Sold everyone in my family a Betamax. Check
Early on, bought a LaserDisc player. Check
Had an extensive library of cassettes. Check
Purchased a HD DVD player. Check
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#2412 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:18 AM

Mr. C. Spock (C Spock run, run Spock run...) :)

If you had an early LD and early cassettes, then I would say you bought those at the perfect times. They were the best of their generation technology-wise and packaging-wise. My LD and cassettes both had nice long runs, as did my SD DVDs.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#2413 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,642 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:29 AM

the "good thing" is most of got paid to get their HD DVD player. Price paid($99-$199)-7 to 10 free movies= free

#2414 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:33 AM

I just spoke with Oppo Digital's VP Product Development, Jason Liao. (Very nice man to talk to.)

Oppo is definitely working on their Blu-ray player. They are still fairly early in their development cycle. Oppo has signed technology agreements for key licenses and semi-conductors as well as obtained the reference sample information. Presently are working on the feature set of the unit.

No current estimated time line for shipments to start, alas. (I offered to drive over and pick mine up.) :)

Sometime this summer they expect to have more concrete information about features and time line.

Cheers,
Tom (anxiously waiting!)

(To quote a prodigious moderator here: BRING IT!!!!)

Go Packers!

#2415 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

• Super Moderators
  • 10,041 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:35 AM

the "good thing" is most of got paid to get their HD DVD player. Price paid($99-$199)-7 to 10 free movies= free

I know several people that paid $399 + on theirs....

This is the risk one takes to be an early adopter.... It could have gone the other way as well. When there's a war... rarely is there a true victory.

#2416 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

• Super Moderators
  • 10,041 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:37 AM

(To quote a prodigious moderator here: BRING IT!!!!)

Why thank you! :lol:

#2417 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,927 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:50 AM

I haven't been watching either this thread or the war in general .. I guess now I can start to look at devices and maybe even buy one in for Christmas :lol:. I'm slow with some electronics .. :P
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#2418 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,261 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:54 AM

One complaint I've heard about some of the Samsung standalone Blu-ray players is that some functionality is missing, like having to start at the beginning of a disc if you stop it instead of resuming where it left off. Another common complaint with some models is the amount of time it takes for the movie to start playing after the disc is inserted.

My first BD player was a Samsung and I returned it because of both of those complaints.
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

#2419 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,642 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:54 AM

machavez, off topic ,but I love the pictures of your dogs:)

Thanks, they were using their Jedi mind powers to get treats.

#2420 OFFLINE   mridan

mridan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 554 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:57 AM

Thanks, they were using their Jedi mind powers to get treats.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Universal going Blu

http://bluray.highde...s_Goes_Blu/1483

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=1007

Protected By... spam firewall...And...