Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Will VOD Also Have Direct To DVD TV Shows?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   CraigM

CraigM

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 08:17 PM

Hi. I saw that some TV Shows are going to be released on DVD, new B5 and Stargate SG-1 movies. Or would it be easier just to rent or buy them on DVD? Also what other TV Shows will VOD have? I guess they will have new ones. Will they also have old ones? Thanks for any info on this.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   leww37334

leww37334

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 08:31 PM

Like everything else Directv does, the consumer will be kept in the dark until it happens.
“Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone.” - Ayn Rand

#3 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 08:53 PM

Just like with all of the other questions you ask, nobody has an answer for you right now. We just don't know.

#4 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,250 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 08:57 PM

At this point the best would be a guess of "maybe". Over time the libraries will evolve, so what will be true on the day of launch will not be true forever.

So, if you want B5 next week, rent or buy. If you can wait up to 2 years to see which make it to VOD, then give it a shot.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#5 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 09:00 PM

If not, you could always shell out another $300 for AppleTV

#6 OFFLINE   Mixer

Mixer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:09 AM

I hope that VOD includes more original programming that can not be found elsewhere. Sure I like the idea of new shows and even repeats being available by VOD but the idea of getting say concerts that are not available on DVD would be great. Picture being able to download a concert of your favorite band in HD. Or say an original series or movie that can not be purchased anywhere else.

The possibilites for this service are endless.
HR20-700:Component, TV:Mitsubishi WS65807, Audio is connected using Digital Toslink cable. OTA:NO, Locals:New York, Native:Off, Network:Yes, eSata:No, AT9 dish, BBC: Yes, Harmony 880. HR20 is wired, Streaming Music and Photos through Twonky Media Server and internet connection is 5MB DSL.

#7 OFFLINE   CraigM

CraigM

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 02:03 PM

Sorry, I guess I should never ask any questions about future DTV upgrades anymore?

Just like with all of the other questions you ask, nobody has an answer for you right now. We just don't know.

#8 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 02:05 PM

Sorry, I guess I should never ask any questions about future DTV upgrades anymore?

You should stop asking questions about VOD. You already have all of the information that's out there. At this point, if you don't know the answer, neither does anyone else.

#9 OFFLINE   CraigM

CraigM

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 02:12 PM

Sorry, I just figured some of the people on this board has some inside info on VOD, that maybe they have seen it in action?

You should stop asking questions about VOD. You already have all of the information that's out there. At this point, if you don't know the answer, neither does anyone else.

#10 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 02:15 PM

Sorry, I just figured some of the people on this board has some inside info on VOD, that maybe they have seen it in action?

Anyone who has inside info or has seen it in action will certainly not be allowed to talk about it at this point.

#11 OFFLINE   CraigM

CraigM

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 02:17 PM

Sorry, I didn't know that.

Anyone who has inside info or has seen it in action will certainly not be allowed to talk about it at this point.

spam firewall