Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Any HR20-100 Caller ID Issues?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
41 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,575 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:26 AM

Wondering if any HR20-100 users are having the same CID problems some of the HR20-700 users are having. For many of us, it works for awhile after a reboot, and then stops until the next reboot. One theory is that the HR20-700's H/W design doesn't deal well with improper grounding issues. If so, I'm wondering if the HR20-100 might be less susceptible to grounding problems. TIA. /steve

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,575 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 11:32 AM

Guess the HR20-100 are not having any CID issues. Interesting. /s

#3 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 25 April 2007 - 11:45 AM

Guess the HR20-100 are not having any CID issues. Interesting. /s

I'm not sure how many HR20-100 systems are in the wild yet. This is a good question, though.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,575 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 11:55 AM

I'm not sure how many HR20-100 systems are in the wild yet. This is a good question, though.

Ya. I found a statistical sample calculator on the web, and if I'm using it correctly, it looks like we'd need feedback from the owners of about 268 HR20-100's to get a 90% accurate picture. I'm not a statistician, though, so I could be entirely wrong about this #. /s

#5 OFFLINE   jpelam

jpelam

Legend

• Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 12:17 PM

I have the HR-20-100....No issues to report on the Caller ID.

#6 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 12:18 PM

Ya. I found a statistical sample calculator on the web, and if I'm using it correctly, it looks like we'd need feedback from the owners of about 268 HR20-100's to get a 90% accurate picture. I'm not a statistician, though, so I could be entirely wrong about this #. /s

I think you're going to be hard pressed to find 268 HR20-100 owners in this forum.

#7 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,575 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 12:22 PM

I think you're going to be hard pressed to find 268 HR20-100 owners in this forum.

I'm hopeful some own more than one, and there may be a chance of finding owners of 268 units in total.

No matter how many, it's still interesting not even one hr20-100 owner has reported a CID problem so far, either here or in the 146 issues thread. /s

#8 OFFLINE   krock918316

krock918316

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 12:24 PM

I've had the HR20-100 for about a week, caller ID works great. Wish I could say the same about the R15 that just moved to the bedroom........

#9 OFFLINE   Smuuth

Smuuth

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 03:11 PM

I have 2 HR20-100s. Caller ID (including Call Waiting Caller ID) works fine on both of them. In fact, it's the only reason I left the phone lines hooked up after the installer left.

#10 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,575 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 11:51 AM

No reports here or in the 146 "issues" thread re: HR20-100 CID problems. There could be two reasons for this:

1) The HR20-100's modem circuitry is different than the HR20-700's, and is not sensitive to the grounding issues many believe exist with the HR20-700.

OR

2) The 146 software contains a CID fix not present in either the 145 or 14f s/w for the HR20-700.

Let's hope it's the latter! /s

#11 OFFLINE   stroh

stroh

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 02:13 PM

Caller ID worked for me with the previous software release as well as 146. Has been working since first plugged in even before the initial setup.

I plugged the receiver in while the tech was installing the dish. After finishing outside he came inside and completed the initial setup and when he hit menu there was a CID entry that happened while we were outside. I was pretty amazed.

#12 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,575 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 02:20 PM

Caller ID worked for me with the previous software release as well as 146. Has been working since first plugged in even before the initial setup.

Glad it's not an issue on the HR20-100's, but not promising info for the HR20-700 owners who are still struggling with CID. I was hoping your 146 s/w had a CID fix that hadn't been delivered to the -700 owners yet. /s

#13 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 April 2007 - 02:48 PM

No reports here or in the 146 "issues" thread re: HR20-100 CID problems. There could be two reasons for this:

1) The HR20-100's modem circuitry is different than the HR20-700's, and is not sensitive to the grounding issues many believe exist with the HR20-700.

OR

2) The 146 software contains a CID fix not present in either the 145 or 14f s/w for the HR20-700.

Let's hope it's the latter! /s

Ok, you know me and the whole grounding thing .. according to veryoldschool, the HR20-100 has a three-prong (i.e. grounded) plug instead of the two-prong plug that is used on the HR20-700. Perhaps the HR20-100 is happily grounded and that's the reason they all work correctly.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#14 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,575 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 03:19 PM

Ok, you know me and the whole grounding thing .. according to veryoldschool, the HR20-100 has a three-prong (i.e. grounded) plug instead of the two-prong plug that is used on the HR20-700. Perhaps the HR20-100 is happily grounded and that's the reason they all work correctly.

Makes sense. That would indicate that maybe only the HR20-700 needs to be grounded then to the wall outlet then? Perhaps I'll try that tomorrow. /s

#15 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 April 2007 - 03:23 PM

Makes sense. That would indicate that maybe only the HR20-700 needs to be grounded then to the wall outlet then? Perhaps I'll try that tomorrow. /s

Hmmm ... make sure you are careful in how you make the connection ... electricity can be a dangerous thing. It's not quite as simple as changing it to a 3-prong plug .. I assume you mean putting grounding blocks on the coax, but doing so inside the house might not be a good idea.

#16 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,575 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 04:11 PM

Hmmm ... make sure you are careful in how you make the connection ... electricity can be a dangerous thing. It's not quite as simple as changing it to a 3-prong plug .. I assume you mean putting grounding blocks on the coax, but doing so inside the house might not be a good idea.

Knowing nothing about electricity, I was thinking about a single wire from one of the HR20 chassis screws to the ground screw on the outlet receptacle. Not a good idea?

I have everything plugged into a Monster power conditioner, which is connected via a three-prong plug. Maybe that's the way to go? See if there's a ground connection there? What I haven't done is plug the phone line into the power conditioner and back out. I can do that. Should I try that first? /s

#17 OFFLINE   Smuuth

Smuuth

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 04:32 PM

Knowing nothing about electricity, I was thinking about a single wire from one of the HR20 chassis screws to the ground screw on the outlet receptacle. Not a good idea?

I have everything plugged into a Monster power conditioner, which is connected via a three-prong plug. Maybe that's the way to go? See if there's a ground connection there? What I haven't done is plug the phone line into the power conditioner and back out. I can do that. Should I try that first? /s

One thing to be careful of with grounding wires is that ALL grounds are to the same point electrically-speaking to avoid the possibility of potential (read voltage) between ground points. What that means in simple terms is that if your house wiring is grounded to true earth ground at the incoming service box (as most are if wired according to code), the grounding block for the satellite coax into your HR20 should also be grounded to a true earth ground, and so should the grounding block for the coax from the OTA. There can even be a problem with potential difference between grounds if the grounding rods are too widely separated.

#18 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 27 April 2007 - 04:38 PM

I much more convinced its related to local electrical issues than anything to do with the HR20's, either 100 or 700 models. Mine has worked perfect since day 1(Oct. '06), but I know what condition my phone wiring is in, I don't have 20 stinkin devices on my line, I dont use VoIP, and I my D* system is completely and properly grounded. Which based on so many other posts, can't be said for a pretty good percentage of others that put the blame solely on the HR20, because "All my other devices work fine"

Which pretty much smacks of poor logic and lack of common sense. The cause and effect of this has many more variables that apparently are beyond the grasp of the masses.

#19 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,575 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 05:41 PM

Which pretty much smacks of poor logic and lack of common sense. The cause and effect of this has many more variables that apparently are beyond the grasp of the masses.

You may be right, but elsewhere in my home, CID recognition works fine on 6 handsets, one fax machine and 3 internal computer modems. Not to mention the fact that I'd bet dollars to donuts that 90% of dish installs out there are not earth-grounded. And it does work on the HR20 after each reboot. It just dies after 12-24 hours.

Implementing CID properly on the HR20 shouldn't be rocket science for the designers, and certainly not for the customers. Just my .02. /s

#20 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 27 April 2007 - 10:28 PM

There is a potential reason right there, you have at least 11 devices pulling down ringer equvalencies right there. 6+1+3+Hr20. Normal house phone service is not meant for that kind of load, IIRC its more like 6 devices, 5 according to wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia....ivalency_number

Was the HR20 the last device you added to your phone wiring circuitry? Temporarily disconnect a phone or two and a modem or two and see if the reliability of the HR20 CID goes up. I have 4 devices, 2 phones, 1 modem, and the HR20, and my Hr20 has worked flawlessly for CID since day 1(Oct 06).

On another note, I've had installs at 4 different places in the last 11 years with D*, and all have been grounded properly. I really find it hard to believe that 90% arent grounded, but thats neither her nor there.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...