Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Any HR20-100 Caller ID Issues?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
41 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22,880 posts
  • LocationLower Westchester County, NY

Posted 28 April 2007 - 08:51 AM

Steve, is your phone service ground attached to your house electrical ground or is it tied to it's own private grounding rod? I'm wondering if your change has caused the two grounds to become equalized because the phone wire is now acting as the copper that ties them together (since you tie to electrical ground through the UPS). The 22-gauge phone wire is not thick enough to provide any kind of safety protection, but it could be enough to make the potential "correct."

So Steve, are you a believer in grounding?

Second question first. Not a believer until I see this working more than a couple of days (non-stop, actually).

Phone service is via an Innomedia VOIP box connected to a DC power supply plugged into my house wiring. None of the phone lines touch an outside phone wire. Verizon removed all wires to the street when they installed my FIOS service and replaced it with a single strand of fiber.

/steve

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 09:38 AM

If you are having any problems with Caller ID, try this:

Troubleshooting Caller ID on the HR20

I had Caller ID consistently until 0x145 when it was lost completely. I got it back in 0x14b but I have to reset the receiver once a week or so when it dies again. The log works always but the pop-up does not.

Group loops and floating grounds have been proven to contribute to Caller ID problems. But for all but 6% they have had Caller ID working at least at some time. They got some nasty bugs in the Caller ID module still.

- Craig

#28 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,938 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 28 April 2007 - 09:56 AM

Phone service is via an Innomedia VOIP box connected to a DC power supply plugged into my house wiring.

So much for theories :lol:
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#29 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22,880 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 11:00 AM

They got some nasty bugs in the Caller ID module still.

And that's not just a ground-less accusation!!rolling /s

#30 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22,880 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 03:37 PM

So Steve, are you a believer in grounding?

Getting there. It's now been about 30 hours since I routed my HR20's phone line through the RJ-11 jacks on my Monster power strip, and CID continues to work. This is the longest it's worked for the 5 weeks I've been an HR20 owner. I'm on 0x14f. I'm hopeful I haven't just jinxed it. /s

#31 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,229 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 03:38 PM

I'm hopeful I haven't just jinxed it. /s

You know you just.....:lol:
A.K.A VOS

#32 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22,880 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:10 AM

You know you just.....:lol:

I did :( CID kicked the bucket sometime after 5PM yesterday, somewhere between 60 and 72 hours after it started working again. I tried unplugging and replugging the phone line, but it didn't help. Gonna do a soft reboot later today.

Guess I'm now sidling back over to the "It's S/W" camp. Hopefully the next CE will shed more light on this. /s

#33 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,229 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 07:06 AM

I did :( CID kicked the bucket sometime after 5PM yesterday, somewhere between 60 and 72 hours after it started working again. I tried unplugging and replugging the phone line, but it didn't help. Gonna do a soft reboot later today.

Guess I'm now sidling back over to the "It's S/W" camp. Hopefully the next CE will shed more light on this. /s

So what happens with the chassis grounded or is it?
A.K.A VOS

#34 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22,880 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 07:23 AM

Haven't tried that yet. Just the RJ-11 ground. Going to measure first to see if already grounded, since my multiswitch is grounded. Menu (not RBR) reboot just restored CID, as it always has in the past, so still not convinced this isn't a s/w issue. /s

#35 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22,880 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 02:04 PM

So not one mention of an HR20-100 CID problem here or in the 0146 issues thread. I think it's safe to say that CID is not an issue on the HR20-100. /steve
/steve

#36 OFFLINE   jmschnur

jmschnur

Icon

• Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 05:20 AM

146 works with Caller ID. The orginal fimrware did not.
Joel
[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="1"][B]
ce 0x0431 HDMI 1080P Pioneer Kuro 60" plasma 151
{CE 0x0481 - HDMI 1080p - Sharp 32" 1080P LCD
2 HR20-100 DVRs
Integra DHC 80.2, HDMI throughout.
Home network mixed vista, windows 7
Slimeline 5; Vista,,7 ; wired and wireless; Verizon Fios internet, Netgear 3700 router, infinity/buffalo n ethernet converters
Integra DHC 80.2

#37 OFFLINE   mdl

mdl

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 11:21 AM

So not one mention of an HR20-100 CID problem here or in the 0146 issues thread. I think it's safe to say that CID is not an issue on the HR20-100. /steve

No.

I have an issue with CID. Worked for 2 weeks, then quit. I don't believe grounding has anything to do with it.

My unit is new (HR20-100). 0146 firmware installed. No other issues.

#38 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22,880 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 11:35 AM

Welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to hear your having an issue. Since 146 was released, you appear to be the first and only person to report a -100 CID issue on this forum. Interesting. /s
/steve

#39 OFFLINE   jaybee

jaybee

Legend

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 11:48 AM

Well caller ID doesn't work on my 100 or 700. It briefly worked on my 700 several software releases ago. I have my dish well grounded from the the blocks to main electical panel grounding rod several feet from the dish. I happen to think that my problem might be the CID service. Our provider, Surewest, has CID number only (which i use) and full CID with name and number. It's no big deal because CID on the TV isn't really a must have feature for me.

#40 OFFLINE   morgantown

morgantown

Icon

• Registered
  • 902 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 04:49 PM

HR20-100s. Caller ID worked for the first week. Not since. So much for theories... Also completely froze and needed to hard-boot to get it out of the lock up. CID worked for a day after that reboot, then not at all since.

Overall, it is not a bad piece. Damn TiVo for patenting the overshoot correction however...

Edit: Well, well, CID is working again now.
DTV & NFLST since 97 at least, not looked back yet...

#41 OFFLINE   EAGLES20

EAGLES20

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 05:00 PM

I've been having problems the last week with CID is anyone else having any problems. I did a RBR and it worked for two days now it's not working again.

#42 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22,880 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 06:08 PM

I've been having problems the last week with CID is anyone else having any problems. I did a RBR and it worked for two days now it's not working again.

HR20-100 or HR20-700? /s
/steve

Protected By... spam firewall...And...