Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Another blackout question

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mganga

mganga

Godfather

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 01:59 PM

So, sorry to bring it up again, but why am I blacked out of the A's/Orioles game today? They can't use the "they want your fanny in their seat" excuse 'cause the game is in Baltimore. There is no local broadcast, so why can't I access through EI? Who does this possibly benefit? When will it ever be addressed?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gpg

gpg

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,711 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 24 April 2007 - 02:08 PM

MLBEI is an out-of-market package, so MLB will not allow the other team's broadcast to be shown within your team's home market territory. It sucks, but that's the rule that MLB enforces.
HR24-200,HR23-700,HR21-200, HR21-100, HR34-700,
Sony KDS-R50XBR1,HDMI, LG 37LH40,HDMI Vizio 390-A1,HDMI,Sony KDL-40NX711, HDMI, Vizio VO320E, HDMI, SWM16 with DECA,
Sony STR-DG1000 AV Receiver optical cable connection for HR24-200, GenieGo

#3 OFFLINE   mganga

mganga

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 02:22 PM

MLBEI is an out-of-market package, so MLB will not allow the other team's broadcast to be shown within your team's home market territory. It sucks, but that's the rule that MLB enforces.

ok, but why?

#4 OFFLINE   wmschultz

wmschultz

DBSTalk Club Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 02:33 PM

Because Oakland owns the rights to the broadcast and if they aren't showing it, they won't let EI show it.
Stupid I know, but the same thing happens on all the other sports packages.

EDIT: Just thought I would let you know that Swisher left the game in the top of the 1st inning after rolling his
ankle while trying to stop when he was rounding third. 2-1 A's ^6th

#5 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 24 April 2007 - 03:42 PM

The Oakland A's own that market, literally. So if they don't want you to see it, you don't see it.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#6 OFFLINE   mganga

mganga

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:35 PM

The Oakland A's own that market, literally. So if they don't want you to see it, you don't see it.

but why would they not want me to see it? forgive me, but this is the question i'm seeking an answer to...i know, i know, i should ask them, but have you ever visited mlb's forums--shheeesh.

if there were some kind of economic reason that made a tiny bit of sense i could begin to understand...

#7 OFFLINE   gpg

gpg

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,711 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 25 April 2007 - 06:36 AM

The home team sells its tv rights to an RSN and sometimes an OTA station. Those entities want assurances that no other tv coverage of the team will be available except for the national ESPN or Fox games. Teams believe that this local exclusivity increases the value of their tv contracts. That's why they black out the OOM broadcasts when no local tv coverage is available.
HR24-200,HR23-700,HR21-200, HR21-100, HR34-700,
Sony KDS-R50XBR1,HDMI, LG 37LH40,HDMI Vizio 390-A1,HDMI,Sony KDL-40NX711, HDMI, Vizio VO320E, HDMI, SWM16 with DECA,
Sony STR-DG1000 AV Receiver optical cable connection for HR24-200, GenieGo

#8 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:05 AM

I think we all agree it makes no sense. The owners decided this mess. The problem lies when team claims and area that doesn't have access to the games via RSN or OTA AND they still tell cable and DirecTV to black you out of the Extra Innings feed.

Here is an interesting thread on this: http://www.avsforum....ad.php?t=838073

Basically the commish has finally aknowledged that MLB's blackout rules are terrible and prevent fans from actually watching their teams. Basically he wants to get the owners to change it so that they can only claim an area as a home market for blackout *if the people living there can actually get the game locally*, otherwise don't blackout the EI game.

Wow, logic. MLB owners will probably never go for logic.

Also found in that thread is this awesome blackout map: http://us.i1.yimg.co.../1150742098.jpg

#9 OFFLINE   mganga

mganga

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 08:09 PM

I think we all agree it makes no sense. The owners decided this mess. The problem lies when team claims and area that doesn't have access to the games via RSN or OTA AND they still tell cable and DirecTV to black you out of the Extra Innings feed.

Basically the commish has finally aknowledged that MLB's blackout rules are terrible and prevent fans from actually watching their teams. Basically he wants to get the owners to change it so that they can only claim an area as a home market for blackout *if the people living there can actually get the game locally*, otherwise don't blackout the EI game.

Also found in that thread is this awesome blackout map: http://us.i1.yimg.co.../1150742098.jpg

thank you, thank you

#10 OFFLINE   garn9173

garn9173

Icon

• Registered
  • 518 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 07:22 AM

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Des Moines metro is less than 3 hours from KC and the Royals are blacked out, but Milwaukee is probably 6 hours, if not more from the Des Moines metro and I get every Brewer game. Go figure.

Dish Network (February 2002-August 2005)
Mediacom (August 2005-1/27/07)
DirecTV (1/27-07 - 4/14)

Dish Network (4/14 - ??)  Hopper, Super Joey, and two Joey receivers.

#11 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Registered
  • 957 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 08:50 AM

according to D* Iowa now does not get the Brewers.. that's according to their website. are you using EI to get the games?

#12 OFFLINE   garn9173

garn9173

Icon

• Registered
  • 518 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 08:55 AM

according to D* Iowa now does not get the Brewers.. that's according to their website. are you using EI to get the games?

Nope, I have sports pack, it was that way when I had E* too.

http://www.directv.c...ssetId=P3000004

Based off my zip code (50023), I get the following:

With any DIRECTV base package:

Comcast SportsNet (Chicago) (Ch. 640)
Chicago Bulls (SD Only)
Chicago Cubs (SD Only)
Chicago Fire (SD Only)
Chicago White Sox (SD Only)

With the Premier package or any DIRECTV base package plus SPORTS Pack, you also get:
Comcast SportsNet (Chicago) (Ch. 640)
Chicago Bulls (SD Only)
Chicago Cubs (SD Only)
Chicago Fire (SD Only)
Chicago White Sox (SD Only)

FSN North (Ch. 641)
Milwaukee Brewers (SD Only)
Minnesota Lynx (SD Only)
Minnesota Timberwolves (SD Only)
Minnesota Twins (SD Only)
Minnesota Wild (SD Only)

FSN Midwest (Ch. 647)
St. Louis Blues (SD Only)
St. Louis Cardinals (SD Only)

DirecTV (1/27-07 - 4/14)

#13 OFFLINE   gnwes

gnwes

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 11:47 AM

does getting the sports package change anything for anyone???? i get exactly the same number of sports channels whether i just have a base package or if i give D* the extra 12 bucks for the sports package! WHAT A SCAM!!!!! it is the same for my parents in Tennessee and my in-laws in Mass .... :confused:

#14 OFFLINE   leww37334

leww37334

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 11:57 AM

does getting the sports package change anything for anyone???? i get exactly the same number of sports channels whether i just have a base package or if i give D* the extra 12 bucks for the sports package! WHAT A SCAM!!!!! it is the same for my parents in Tennessee and my in-laws in Mass .... :confused:

The sports pack does make one difference, if you are in more than one team's home area say Cinn and Atl. D* will only give you one FSN for free, If they are giving you the Atl RSN ( FOX SS) so you can watch the Atl games. But you can also get the Cinn telecast games out of the fox Cinn RSN by subscribing to sportspak.

IF ANYONE REALLY WANTS TO COMPLAIN CALL 212 931 7800.

This is the MLB main office.
“Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone.” - Ayn Rand

#15 OFFLINE   gnwes

gnwes

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 12:08 PM

The sports pack does make one difference, if you are in more than one team's home area say Cinn and Atl. D* will only give you one FSN for free, If they are giving you the Atl RSN ( FOX SS) so you can watch the Atl games. But you can also get the Cinn telecast games out of the fox Cinn RSN by subscribing to sportspak.

IF ANYONE REALLY WANTS TO COMPLAIN CALL 212 931 7800.

This is the MLB main office.

well, for some people it guess it is good... but i guess not for anyone i know personally.

#16 OFFLINE   garn9173

garn9173

Icon

• Registered
  • 518 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 12:22 PM

well, for some people it guess it is good... but i guess not for anyone i know personally.

The only sure way to tell if sports pack is worth the expense is to enter the zip code in the link below:

http://www.directv.c....setId=P3000004

DirecTV (1/27-07 - 4/14)

#17 OFFLINE   gnwes

gnwes

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 12:27 PM

The only sure way to tell if sports pack is worth the expense is to enter the zip code in the link below:
LInk

yeah thanks i know... i already did that thats how i know its worth it to me

so i just ordered MLB EI instead... :D

#18 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 02:53 PM

Incorrect.

The 10001 ZIP Code is in the home team territory for the following pro team(s):

SD: Standard Definition
HD: High Definition

With any DIRECTV base package:

Madison Square Garden (Ch. 621)
New Jersey Devils (SD Only)

New York Islanders (SD Only)

New York Knicks (SD Only)

New York Liberty (SD Only)

New York Liberty (SD Only)

New York Rangers (HD Available)

New York Red Bulls (SD Only)

Yankee Ent. & Sports (YES) (Ch. 622)
New Jersey Nets (HD Available)

New York Yankees (HD Available)

FSN New York (Ch. 624)
New Jersey Devils (SD Only)

New York Islanders (SD Only)

New York Rangers (HD Available)

SportsNet New York (Ch. 625)
New York Mets (HD Available)
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#19 OFFLINE   gnwes

gnwes

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 03:18 PM

either way i believe the entire thing to suck. i ordered EI and i am blacked out from Texas Rangers at Cleveland Indians and Houston Astros at Pittsburgh Pirates. doesnt make any sense??? im in Devil Ray "territory" but those games are blocked to me?? :mad:

edit: everything is good now... just a programming error that is fixed now

#20 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 741 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 26 April 2007 - 07:28 PM

Not meaning to slam you or anything...

But Bud "bend over grab my ankles/zero spine" Selig will do absolutely NOTHING to change this. The owners control him, period.
HR20-700 Connected to 55" Samsung UN55D8000YF via HDMI
HR20-700 Connected to 24" Samsung P2570HD
R22-200 Connected to 32" Sony
D* Customer since 2000

spam firewall