Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Series Link Warning: Stargate Atlantis 4/27

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 09:36 AM

As found on the Tivo Community Season Pass Alert Forum (a must read at least weekly): http://www.tivocommu...ad.php?t=349095

The new episode of Stargate Atlantis tonight has the incorrect original air date in the guide data (supplied by Sci-Fi to Tribune) and thus a "first run only" series link or season pass will not pick it up. Both my Tivo and HR20 were not going to record it. So you'll need to add this weeks episode manually.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 06:33 PM

Thank you 10 times over...

All three of my systems (2 HR20's and the R15) where not going to record SGA.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   sorahl

sorahl

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 854 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 07:26 PM

thanks I caught this but figured it was some conflict :) I just set it o record at 11pm :)
DirecTV HR21-100
DirecTV HR20-700 x2
DirecTV Tivo (Hughes SD40) 35 hrs (disconnected)
DirecTV Tivo (DirecTV R10) 70 hrs
DirecTV Tivo (Samsung SIR40) 35 hrs (disconnected)
XM SkyFi (disco'd) XM SkyFi2, BoomBox, PCR, Honda Unit, RoadyXT

#4 OFFLINE   BrettStah

BrettStah

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 07:40 PM

Huh.... just switched over to the Tivo that has this season pass (old DSR6000 DirecTivo), and it's recording it right now. I just double-checked, and the season pass is set to "First Run Only" too. Maybe the guide data was fixed in time?
Brett

#5 OFFLINE   4DThinker

4DThinker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 439 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 04:18 AM

My HR20 didn't record it. Fortunately I switched to the channel manually only about 5 minutes into the show after seeing it was not being recorded. It IS in my todo list as a first-run only series to be recorded.

I'd like to know how and who makes this mistake? Seems like someone should be fired or demoted at least.

#6 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 07:29 AM

My HR20 didn't record it. Fortunately I switched to the channel manually only about 5 minutes into the show after seeing it was not being recorded. It IS in my todo list as a first-run only series to be recorded.

I'd like to know how and who makes this mistake? Seems like someone should be fired or demoted at least.

The SCI-FI channel employee, who is responsible for entering the data submitted to TMS and other guide data clearing houses.

This is not the first mistake that has been made for the SG series.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#7 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 07:43 AM

The issue typically in the past has been that the Stargates are shown in Canada a few weeks ahead of the US broadcast on Sci-Fi and someone at Sci-Fi messes up and puts in the original air dates as the Canadian broadcast instead of the US which then messes up any first run only season passes on all DVRs. It's been a problem on the Tivo's for years, typically at the beginning of the seasons. I remember about 4 years ago the entire run of SG-1 had original air dates about a month behind and I had to change the season pass to include repeats so I didn't have to babysit it every week.

So now when this happens it will be a problem with the DVR+ line as well.

Check the Tivo Community Season Pass Alert forum regularly and you'll be on top of these kinds of guide data errors.

#8 OFFLINE   shmengie

shmengie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 359 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 28 April 2007 - 07:58 AM

The issue typically in the past has been that the Stargates are shown in Canada a few weeks ahead of the US broadcast on Sci-Fi and someone at Sci-Fi messes up and puts in the original air dates as the Canadian broadcast instead of the US which then messes up any first run only season passes on all DVRs....

blame canada! :D

#9 OFFLINE   finaldiet

finaldiet

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 09:58 AM

I missed it!:mad: When will a re-run be on?

#10 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 12:16 PM

Go into the prioritizer and select your series link for Atlantis. Then choose "Episodes" from the menu. This will show you any Atlantis episodes in the guide. See if you can find a later showing early this upcoming week.

If not there is always Bittorrent.

#11 OFFLINE   Racer88

Racer88

Icon

• Registered
  • 801 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 03:03 PM

Score one for the HR10 Tivo. Episode recorded as it should have been.

HR20 fumbled the ball.

Both SP's set for first run only.

God forbid the people in charge of fixing this POS actually do something to make it a reliable and easy to use DVR worthy of replacing the HR10 and stop with all the other superfluous BS they keep fooling with.

#12 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 06:55 PM

Score one for the HR10 Tivo. Episode recorded as it should have been.

HR20 fumbled the ball.

Both SP's set for first run only.

God forbid the people in charge of fixing this POS actually do something to make it a reliable and easy to use DVR worthy of replacing the HR10 and stop with all the other superfluous BS they keep fooling with.

You obviously missed the part that most Tivo's did NOT get this recorded as evidenced on the Tivo forum itself. It was reported on the Tivo forum afterall, I just noticed it effected my HR20 as well. It's possible a late guide update came down and your Tivo was ok, but it was not the case for most people.

#13 OFFLINE   Racer88

Racer88

Icon

• Registered
  • 801 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 07:30 PM

What evidence? I read that forum too and the VERY few posts that were made about it say things were as they should be...Christ even posts in THIS VERY THREAD say Tivo got the job done.

....and if the HR20 would have properly processed any updated info then it should have recorded it as well......BUT it didn't...so the HR20 is STILL not properly processing changes to the guide info as it should.

End of story.

#14 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 08:44 AM

What evidence? I read that forum too and the VERY few posts that were made about it say things were as they should be...Christ even posts in THIS VERY THREAD say Tivo got the job done.

....and if the HR20 would have properly processed any updated info then it should have recorded it as well......BUT it didn't...so the HR20 is STILL not properly processing changes to the guide info as it should.

End of story.

Then explain why my SD R10, my brother in law's SA's, and the neighboors seires 3 didn't record it?

Just because your personal HR10 managed to process it's guide changes in time, doesn't mean ALL of the DTivos (or TiVo's as a whole)... where immune to the bad data change.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#15 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 11:54 AM

End of story.

I asked several friends who record this show.

Both my R10 and HDVR2 (Tivo's) didn't record it.
A friend with an HR10, it did not record.
A friend with an R10 did get it recorded (he wasn't sure if he had repeats set to record but sounds like it was first run only).

So in my very unscientific sample 3 out of 4 Tivo's did not record SGA. Read into that what you will.

And I'm not sure if you payed attention or not...this has been a problem with Stargate's and DVR's for going on 5 years now. It's just expected cause Sci-Fi can't figure out we aren't in Canada or the UK. If you'd care to look at the Tivo forum archives you'd see whole half season's of SG1 where everyone had to change their season passes to include repeats.

As long as guide data is bad, DVRs, no matter what the OS, will have problems.

#16 OFFLINE   sorahl

sorahl

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 854 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 12:11 PM

This issue just highlights how the promises the industry made about our 'guide' back when DVR's started never happened. We were promised that the guides could be upgraded on the fly. Anyone who has tried to record something on Sunday nights in the fall knows that this is a lie. We are CONSTANTLY having issues with programs being screwed up because of stupid football overruns...
DirecTV HR21-100
DirecTV HR20-700 x2

#17 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 12:15 PM

We are CONSTANTLY having issues with programs being screwed up because of stupid football overruns...

Exnay on the stupid footballbay.. ;)

FOX IMHO, has done a much better job in the past year...
They put that buffer show... the OT in there, so they can adjust on the fly and keep their schedule as close to normal..

CBS needs to do something similar....

Even if you got up to the second updates on guide data by the networks.

How do you propose that get out to the millions of DVR users ? Near instantly?

IMHO: Something does need to be done... to get these networks off their lazy butts... and spend the 1hour or so a day/week to make sure the guide data is correct.
It is no longer just something used for the printed TV Guides, that people got used things being a little off...

I do wish TMS would allow access to the raw data, much easier then they do now.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#18 OFFLINE   sorahl

sorahl

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 854 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:02 PM

I wonder if we can change our guide on the HR20 since we have internet access via the network jack to get guide updates via the net.. that could open up the ability to change the guide quickly as needed.
I'll let you talk to my wife why 'the stupid dvr' is always messing up up her shows on sunday night in 'football' season <grin>
DirecTV HR21-100
DirecTV HR20-700 x2

#19 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:06 PM

I wonder if we can change our guide on the HR20 since we have internet access via the network jack to get guide updates via the net.. that could open up the ability to change the guide quickly as needed.
I'll let you talk to my wife why 'the stupid dvr' is always messing up up her shows on sunday night in 'football' season <grin>

You are then talking about a constant pull system...
The front end (The side on DirecTV's side), would have to be pretty significant to handle all the connections from 10,000; 100,000, 1 million, or more connections... requesting updated guide data.

While yes, it could be done... but at what cost.
I know it is a pain in the arse when your recordings are messed up because of other events earlier in the day (not exclusive to football, baseball, or any sport)....

The only real sollution for now, and for the immediate future...
Is to add an extra hour to the end of those recordings on those networks.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#20 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 30 April 2007 - 02:39 PM

DirecTivos didn't miss it, they don't go by OAD (which was set to 4/2, BTW) - they decode a flag in the Showing ObjID, so somebody set that correctly.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...