Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dish not grounded.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
99 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hankmack

hankmack

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 04:24 PM

Hi. I had been having a problem with caller ID and in reading this forum I saw that some posters related the problem to a lake of grounding.
I called customer service and they got my caller ID to work again by having me push the reset button. :) However the system is not grounded so I called back today and requested the installer come and ground the system. They will call back to set a date "in 24 hours". Am I being unreasonable? We do have occasional big electrical storms. Lightning struck a friends house which zapped every electrical appliance in the house.
Shorty
Nevada City weather : hankinnc.com

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Annihilator31

Annihilator31

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 04:34 PM

Grounding your system won't make much of a difference. I'm an electrical engineer and the fact is, if your house gets hit by lightning, your just sol. Your only possible protection is a quality surge protector with Voltage, coax and phone inputs and outputs. Cable and satellite providers only ground their systems to cover their butt's. It does help, but not much. Fact is, sometimes grounding actually causes problems, I have seen it many times! After what I have seen, I refuse to ground my satellite system and use only an APC surge protection setup.

#3 OFFLINE   585960

Legend

• Registered
  • 239 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 04:36 PM

Grounding the system really doesn't do much, honestly. Its more for static electricity than anything else.

#4 OFFLINE   hankmack

hankmack

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 04:43 PM

Grounding the system really doesn't do much, honestly. Its more for static electricity than anything else.

Thanks for the info. I do have surge protectors so I will not press the issue.
Shorty

#5 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 04:48 PM

Sorry guys, but I think grounding is extremely important whenever you have a large piece of metal outside as well as current going to and from it from your receivers and whatnot. The dish and all coax lines going from it should be grounded. Here is the thread in question, it can explain things much better than I can:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=84943

#6 OFFLINE   Coffey77

Coffey77

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 05:00 PM

Sorry guys, but I think grounding is extremely important whenever you have a large piece of metal outside as well as current going to and from it from your receivers and whatnot. The dish and all coax lines going from it should be grounded. Here is the thread in question, it can explain things much better than I can:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=84943

There has been good discussion on this Poit, and I also believe it is not necessary to ground. If the OP can get it for free, then go right ahead. :) Otherwise, don't waste you time or money. CID has issues but so do people's phone lines. Many are old, spliced and re-spliced and are more likely the cause of CID failure than any grounding issue.
- Andy
My Setup - (Computer Setup Included)
HR20-700 - / - / H20-100 -
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE<-- to DBSTalk.com and become a DBSTalk Club Member!

#7 OFFLINE   rminsk

rminsk

Legend

• Registered
  • 205 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 05:05 PM

The National Electrical Code requires you ground your dish. See article 820-40 in the NEC.

#8 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 05:11 PM

Is grounding required? If everything works right and doesn't suffer from floating ground problems that can result in things like: CID not working, channel changing issues, all the way up to burning out tuners then I guess in your situation it isn't necessary. But anyone who uses a UPS or cooling fan because they don't want to shorten the life of their hard drive but doesn't ground their system is putting premium gasoline in their engine but never replacing the oil or the tires.

Is it necessary? No, but a very good, wise thing to do correctly.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#9 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 April 2007 - 05:39 PM

For something that seem simple to do, getting it done correctly is very tough indeed.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#10 OFFLINE   rminsk

rminsk

Legend

• Registered
  • 205 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 05:42 PM

Yes it is necessary because the NEC requires it.

#11 OFFLINE   585960

Legend

• Registered
  • 239 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 05:44 PM

Is grounding required? If everything works right and doesn't suffer from floating ground problems that can result in things like: CID not working, channel changing issues, all the way up to burning out tuners then I guess in your situation it isn't necessary. But anyone who uses a UPS or cooling fan because they don't want to shorten the life of their hard drive but doesn't ground their system is putting premium gasoline in their engine but never replacing the oil or the tires.

Cheers,
Tom

Hmmm, no ground, no CID, or channels changing, receivers burning out? Please explain? This should be good. :hurah:

#12 OFFLINE   hankmack

hankmack

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 05:58 PM

I don't see what harm it will do for me to have DTV ground the dish as per manual.
Shorty

#13 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 06:18 PM

Cheers,
Tom

Hmmm, no ground, no CID, or channels changing, receivers burning out? Please explain? This should be good. :hurah:

Since you missed it the first time you read and then quoted my text, I'll just highlight the key phrase.

Does no ground cause these problems in all cases? Of course not. But how many "Tuner #2 failed" and how many "I've got CID problems" would have been solved by a good ground? (And a more solid hardware design of the HR20...)

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#14 OFFLINE   585960

Legend

• Registered
  • 239 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 06:39 PM

Hey Tom, no I didn't miss it. But I hate to tell you, none of those problems have anything remotely to do with any sort or kind of grounding. Yeah we all know, NEC says its the law.

#15 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 06:47 PM

But I hate to tell you, none of those problems have anything remotely to do with any sort or kind of grounding.

And why not?

#16 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,778 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 06:53 PM

But how many "Tuner #2 failed" would have been solved by a good ground? Cheers, Tom

I pick out the one I feel strongly about here....None.
Poor assembly most likely is/was the cause of this one. :)
There have been many posting where it came down to the unit as being defective & the "system" was never changed [for this one].
A.K.A VOS

#17 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,279 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 27 April 2007 - 07:07 PM

Ground your dish -- period!

Those who would advise to the contrary are either misinformed or just plain stupid.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#18 OFFLINE   dave1234

dave1234

Icon

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 07:17 PM

Whether grounding will help protect against a lightning strike may be debatable, but what's not is this: If lightning does strike and the installation is not done to code your insurance company doesn't have to pay to compensate for losses. Grounding is required by law in most all areas of this country.

#19 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,862 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 27 April 2007 - 07:30 PM

Whether grounding will help protect against a lightning strike may be debatable, but what's not is this: If lightning does strike and the installation is not done to code your insurance company doesn't have to pay to compensate for losses. Grounding is required by law in most all areas of this country.

A safety ground is required by NEC. This provides little to no lightning protection, as a a safety ground has nothing to do with Radio Frequency and that is what lightning is RF (at least the most damaging part of it)

Anyone who thinks a single ground rod connected to a dish with a small diameter wire provides ANY lightning protection is ...well....ill-informed. This very poor RF ground, but adequate safety ground will not help (and may, in fact hurt) in the case of a nearby strike. A direct hit is another matter entirely. Protection against a direct hit costs thousands of dollars.

You can protect against nearby strikes with a LOT of effort and several hundred dollars of gas fired protectors on every coaxial line and every power line entering the house. These need to be bonded to a single point ground. This is NOT A TRIVIAL EXERCISE!

So, do the safety ground, as required by the National Electrical Code, but don't entertain any illusions of protection from lightning....not gonna happen.

Google Polyphasor.com if you want to learn about what it REALLY takes to get lightning protection.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#20 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 07:39 PM

Hey Tom, no I didn't miss it. But I hate to tell you, none of those problems have anything remotely to do with any sort or kind of grounding. Yeah we all know, NEC says its the law.

EE 101 (literally) floating ground is bad. So are ground loops. If you don't know that I sure hope you are not at all in the electrical or electronic realm for a profession.

We have demonstrated proof that ground issues can be a cause of CID failure. So your argument is already lost on that issue. No, this is NOT the ONLY cause of CID failures, but no one is saying they are.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...