Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is Your Dish Grounded?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
56 replies to this topic

Poll: Is your dish grounded? (181 member(s) have cast votes)

Is your dish grounded?

1. No (69 votes [38.12%])

Percentage of vote: 38.12%

2. Voted Not sure (7 votes [3.87%])

Percentage of vote: 3.87%

3. Earth Ground (55 votes [30.39%])

Percentage of vote: 30.39%

4. House Ground (50 votes [27.62%])

Percentage of vote: 27.62%

Vote

#1 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,419 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 05:13 AM

I have overseen 6 dish installations over the years (four of my own), by 6 different installers. In none of them did the installer actually run a ground wire from the dish to either an earth or a house ground. I'm curious what % of installations are actually grounded. If you know whether or not yours is, please take the poll and let us know. TIA. /s

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,188 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 28 April 2007 - 06:56 AM

4' grounding rod driven into the earth at the base of my 6' "dish tree".

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#3 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 07:03 AM

Well, the installer did not ground the dish.

I grounded it. I tied it into the grounding rod.
DBSTalk Chat Room Mod (I reserve the right to be wrong.)

AT9 to SWM16
LR: HR24-100 to Panasonic 50" w/ Sony HTIB/FR: HR20-700 to Samsung LN55B640
Office: HR34-700 to Panasonic 50" w/ HD-A2
Office: H21-200 to 36" SD TV/BR: HR21-200 to Samsung 32" LCD
My full setup in Visio: http://www.dbstalk.c...8&postcount=105

#4 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,877 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 07:27 AM

I ground the cables inside to bleed off noise and static, but I do not ground the dish.

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,266 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 April 2007 - 07:54 AM

4' grounding rod driven into the earth at the base of my 6' "dish tree".

That would be a no.

#6 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 08:25 AM

All coax lines and dish grounded to the same point, where the electrical box on the side of my house is grounded to.

#7 OFFLINE   585960

Legend

• Registered
  • 239 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 08:26 AM

All coax lines and dish grounded to the same point, where the electrical box on the side of my house is grounded to.

that would be yes!!

#8 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 08:38 AM

that would be yes!!

But is that considered a house ground or earth ground? It's grounded with all the other utilities at the side of my house, but all of those run into the ground. I voted Earth Ground.

#9 OFFLINE   Tom M

Tom M

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 08:45 AM

When I built a house and installed my own system 9 years ago I grounded the system. When I did a Movers Connection a bit over 2 years ago the installer grounded the system by connecting it to the existing ground. When I did a MC and later an HD upgrade a few months ago the installers never installed any grounds nor did they tie anything to any existing grounds.

#10 OFFLINE   585960

Legend

• Registered
  • 239 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 10:09 AM

But is that considered a house ground or earth ground? It's grounded with all the other utilities at the side of my house, but all of those run into the ground. I voted Earth Ground.

I would think earth ground too. My reason for thinking (excuuuuse me for thinking) is the electrical box, goes to earth ground. If you ground to say a cold water pipe, etc. thats a house ground, right?

#11 OFFLINE   Fish Man

Fish Man

Godfather

• Registered
  • 439 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 10:29 AM

House electrical ground, telephone NID ground, and Dish/Coax ground are all clamped to the same physical ground rod (driven, I assume, by the electrician who wired the house).

#12 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 10:40 AM

In my present house, all electrical services (electricity, phone, cable, dish, multiswitches, and coax) are grounded at the same point to the same ground rod.

Likely has not been true of all my houses.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#13 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,909 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 28 April 2007 - 11:30 AM

All electrical services (electricity, phone, cable, dish, multiswitches, and coax) are grounded at the same point to the same ground rod.

Cheers,
Tom

That's not always true, Tom .. But yes, it should be.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#14 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 11:55 AM

Sorry, was describing my situation in my current house. I realize that many houses are not as well laid out as mine with all the services entering within a very short distance of each other. I didn't check on all my other houses, but I'm highly suspicious they were not very kosher.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#15 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,620 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 12:08 PM

Nevada County is quite "unique".
I have a pole mount dish that goes about four feet into the ground. I have underground service with no visible signs of a ground [though the power box has seals on it limiting my inspection], and the phone line is grounded to a water pipe [which turns to PVC for the underground feed].
Anybody want to take bets? :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#16 OFFLINE   alexcohen

alexcohen

AllStar

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 12:16 PM

My Installer(s) wouldn't even know how to pronounce the word.

#17 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 12:30 PM

I have overseen 6 dish installations over the years (four of my own), by 6 different installers. In none of them did the installer actually run a ground wire from the dish to either an earth or a house ground. I'm curious what % of installations are actually grounded. If you know whether or not yours is, please take the poll and let us know. TIA. /s

I am an electrical engineer and inspector and routinely see dish installs done improperly. The local install company (Ironwood) that subcontracts for D* has no clue what "NEC" means let alone any of the NEC requirements. I had to get them here 5 times to properly ground my dish.. I explained to each installer what the NEC required and even printed out the pertinent pages from the code book, but it was greek to them. They do not train their employees what NEC requires. I think they get most of these guys off the street.

I ended up contacting the state atty generals office. Who knows how many other installs aren't done properly and the avg. person would have no idea. Is Ironwood liable if a home catches fire or occupant is injured because of an ungrounded satellite install?

I knew what the code required and could have done it myself, but it was Ironwood's job to do it right, not the customers.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#18 OFFLINE   Car1181

Car1181

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 12:31 PM

When I installed my own dish on my summer cabin I followed the directions and grounded the dish. No installer has ever grounded my dishes (Standard, 3lnb,5lnb) at my home.

(1)HR21-200
(1)HR22-500
(5)HR24-500
All HR's connected via HDMI
SWiM/DECA/MRV
Verizon FiOS Internet 20/5
XM Radio SkyFi & MyFi

#19 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 12:32 PM

Nevada County is quite "unique".
I have a pole mount dish that goes about four feet into the ground. I have underground service with no visible signs of a ground [though the power box has seals on it limiting my inspection], and the phone line is grounded to a water pipe [which turns to PVC for the underground feed].
Anybody want to take bets? :lol:

Bet? Noper, no way. But best guess...not very likely.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

#20 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 12:36 PM

House electrical ground, telephone NID ground, and Dish/Coax ground are all clamped to the same physical ground rod (driven, I assume, by the electrician who wired the house).

These can be on the same ground rod, but each is required to have separate ground clamps on the rod. If on separate ground rods, each needs to be bonded to the electrical service ground rod.

Water lines are ok if:
1. The home has metal plumbing. A lot of newer homes don't and the installer doesn't check or ask.
2. If an above ground water spigot (not coming out of the home), the waterline is in contact with 10' of continuous earth.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

spam firewall