Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

LNB Drift Detected??

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,269 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 03 May 2007 - 04:14 PM

I would try last approach in SW - clean NRAM. Be aware ALL your settings will gone after that.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   4bama

4bama

Godfather

• Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 05:20 PM

More data on LNB drift:

We have a 622 and a 508 DVR. My wife is the primary 508 user. A little over a week ago she complained that randomly the 508 displayed the blue screen saying the "signal has been lost, switch to another channel". (Not satellite signal lost, but channel)

I did a detailed channel survey of the 508 and discovered 25 different channels randomly lost, then locked the signal. All were even transponders on 110 and 119 satellites.

I have had no problems with my 622 but from reading this thread I noticed the 622 can detect LNB drift, so I ran the system info on my 622 and it showed both the 110/119 with LNB drift on even-only transponders. I tracked the values for 3 days and noticed the drift values varied from about -5.5 to -7.2, depending on the outside temperature. Late at night or early morning the drift values were lower, during the early afternoon as temps climbed into the 80's the drift vaules increased toward -7.0.

I called Dish and they sent their tech here to check the 508 problem. I showed him what I'd found using the 622 diagnostics and other info I had from here. He replaced the 110 & 119 LNB's, ran a check switch on the 622 then system info again and everything was good...no more LNB drift error message.

The 508 is now solid again with no random channel signal losses.

Obviously the 622 has a more tolerent tuner, or compensates for LNB drift, while the 508 does not. Even when the drift was -7+ the 622 locked to all channels. BTW, switching channels now on the 622 seems faster.

So even if your 622 has no problems, if your LNB drift indicates +/- 6 or more you may get faster channel changes by replacing the drifting LNB(s).

#28 OFFLINE   jarvantgroup

jarvantgroup

Icon

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 11:10 PM

I am glad you confirmed that one problem could be a deformed dish. I am still confused as to why a check switch being performed would correct the problem.

Supposedly LNB drift is to be corrected by replacing the LNB. I've done that and ended up with the same messages. Went on to use some of the 'bad' LNB's, with no subsequent issues....go figure. I really don't pay much attention to the drift issues anymore. At least until Dish can confirm that simply replacing the LNB will cure potential problems. :icon_cool

Protected By... spam firewall...And...