Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Who to hire to rewire DTV install?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   brittu

brittu

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 02:43 PM

Hi all,

I'm not sure how to get some wiring work done on my house and thought I'd post my question to you dbstalk experts...

The Problem
  • Outside - We recently put an addition on our house and need the new room hooked up to satellite (the wiring is already in the wall) and also need the dishes reattached to the house and the outside wiring cleaned up a bit.
  • Inside DTV - We're changing the mirroring and configuration around a bit inside the house and need some help determining the best way to do that.
  • Phone Line - In at least one room we need the phone line moved from one side of the room to the other for the receiver.

The Equipment
  • We have 2 Directv HD DVRs and 1 Tivo Directv DVR
  • We've got the new big HD-capable dish and one older dish that runs the SD Tivo just fine.

The Question
Who we we have do all this work? Including helping us plan the best way to do it all and what, if any, additional hardware we'll need. Can Directv really help with that? They offered a free install for someone to come out and put the dishes back and then consult with us on any "custom" work. I assume that means Ironwood again - when we added the most recent dish and 2nd HD DVR we noticed that Ironwood wasn't real helpful when it came to planning and sorting out the best way to wire throughout the house - I basically had to explain mirroring and come up with a way to do it through the attic. We have a mess of wires hanging off the side of our house and everything exposed to the elements. I'm a little dubious and want this done in a way that looks and works reasonable well for the money.

Seems like there's got to be a way to get good, reasonably price help with this. Are there people we can hire to do the plan and the work including remounting the dishes, any interior wiring, phone line move, etc.? We live just north of Seattle if you happen to know anyone local.

All suggestions welcome!

Thanks,
Britt

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gabe23

gabe23

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 03:00 PM

Around here there are several home theater installers that specialize in running cable & wires, moving jacks, etc. As long as you can tell them how many cables you need and where you want the jacks, they should be able to plan and install everything. You might try posting on AVS Forum and some other home theater sites for recommendations in your area. But you'll likely need to have D* send someone out to redo the dish. I did a similar rewire job myself, and I had all the cables set up and labelled so the D* installer just had to point the dish and plug everything in.

#3 OFFLINE   Mark20

Mark20

Godfather

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 05:17 PM

You can also look in the Yellow Pages. Somebody who is being payed better than a flat fee may be more inclined to do a neater job. Though I would have the scope of the work spelled out and agreed upon.
-- Mark

1 HR24-100
1 R15-100

"They'll take my DVR from me when they pry it from my cold dead fingers."

#4 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:23 PM

Get it done nicely and have them run some ethernet to the same places as well. A wired house is a happy house :D

Protected By... spam firewall...And...