Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SERIES LINK ALERT: Heroes on 04/30/2007 runs 1:03, not 1:02

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,063 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 03:47 PM

Check your guide tonight to see if a late change from NBC has been sent to update your Heroes end-time tonight, or add an extra minute to pad it.

From TCF:

Heroes given an extra minute 4/30

We just got word of a 1 minute change for Heroes & Wedding Crashers tonight. Hopefully the credits are rolling by then or there could be some upset people tomorrow.

Mon. 4/30/07

Delete
9:00pm-10:02pm: Heroes
10:02pm-11:00pm: The Real Wedding Crashers

Add
9:00pm-10:03pm: Heroes
10:03pm-11:00pm: The Real Wedding Crashers

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 05:00 PM

And that was from TivoJerry. Basically this will effect all DVRs and I doubt the guide data will get updated in time. I should be ok with a 5 minute pad I always put on Heroes now.

Good posting as I forgot to visit the Tivo season pass alert forum today.

#3 OFFLINE   ncxcstud

ncxcstud

Icon

• Registered
  • 591 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 08:41 PM

my heroes recording went without a hitch...though I do 'pad' it after been screwed before.

However, I did notice that my guide was showing heroes from 9:01-10:03 like normal, but also from 10:01-10:45ish...

But, that only showed up on NBCHD, which i get OTA (but obviously with guide data). the normal local NBC channel displayed everything correctly..., oh well.

GREAT EPISODE btw.

#4 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,047 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:02 AM

Check your guide tonight to see if a late change from NBC has been sent to update your Heroes end-time tonight, or add an extra minute to pad it.

From TCF:

I lost the last minute. That will teach me to work nights.

#5 OFFLINE   BrettStah

BrettStah

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:32 AM

My HR20 got the entire episode (might have missed the "next week on.." stuff though), and I don't think I have padding on it (yet, but I plan to just in case).
Brett

#6 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:38 AM

Brett... It is possible the 0x146 contains the scheduling fix... it was not a "total" cloan of 0x145 there are a few pieces different.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#7 OFFLINE   BrettStah

BrettStah

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:39 AM

Brett... It is possible the 0x146 contains the scheduling fix... it was not a "total" cloan of 0x145 there are a few pieces different.

That makes sense... between this and my old Series1 DirecTivo getting Stargate Atlantis the other night, I just figured my DVRs were just a little bit smarter than everyone else's. :D
Brett

#8 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:40 AM

The extra minute was just a preview of the final 3 episodes so even if you didn't extend by a minute you shouldn't have missed the show.

But then, haven't I been telling people to pad Heroes by at least a couple minutes for a while now? ;) Since it always runs over by a couple minutes into the next hour anyway, no reason not too, it won't create any extra conflicts.

#9 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,047 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:53 AM

The extra minute was just a preview of the final 3 episodes so even if you didn't extend by a minute you shouldn't have missed the show.

But then, haven't I been telling people to pad Heroes by at least a couple minutes for a while now? ;) Since it always runs over by a couple minutes into the next hour anyway, no reason not too, it won't create any extra conflicts.

Trouble is, it conflicts with 10pm recordings. Has there been any explanation why they can't play by the rules like everyone else?

#10 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:57 AM

Trouble is, it conflicts with 10pm recordings. Has there been any explanation why they can't play by the rules like everyone else?

Because they don't have to...

There is no law, regulation, or anything that dictates the start/end times of any shows.

They do it specifically to keep people on their network, for the next show.
Yes, it screws up DVRs...but the primary reason is to keep you from changing the channel when the others networks program is starting.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#11 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,047 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 12:10 PM

Because they don't have to...

There is no law, regulation, or anything that dictates the start/end times of any shows.

They do it specifically to keep people on their network, for the next show.
Yes, it screws up DVRs...but the primary reason is to keep you from changing the channel when the others networks program is starting.

I truly hope this is not a growing trend. It would be a cruel revenge to the dvr owners of the world. I may have to finally start using the second HR to record Heroes only.

#12 Guest_rcoleman111_*

Guest_rcoleman111_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2007 - 12:30 PM

I truly hope this is not a growing trend. It would be a cruel revenge to the dvr owners of the world. I may have to finally start using the second HR to record Heroes only.

ABC and NBC have been doing it for several years. It allows them to shift a minute or two of advertising from a lower-rated show to a higher-rated show. It causes a problem if you have 2 shows scheduled for the start of the next hour. That's one of the reasons I'm considering an OTA antenna.

#13 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 12:32 PM

Honestly...

It has gotten progressively worse since 2000
It started as simple ones like "SuperSized night"...

Now it is almost a common occurance...

It is better, since they are at least "stating" it in the guide data...
But a lot of networks are not even doing that at this point.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#14 OFFLINE   BrettStah

BrettStah

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 12:49 PM

Honestly...

The main problem that I have is that they (the networks) will usually have something like "8:00pm - 9:02pm" in the guide data, yet they will still sometimes go over the allotted time! If you're going to go to the trouble of being precise in your guide data times, for the love of all that is holy, make sure it's accurate!
Brett

#15 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,047 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 01:08 PM

Honestly...

I guess until you own a DVR you really wouldn't notice that much. It sure seems pretty specific to that section of society. But, then I don't really have many national affiliate shows I watch. I suppose the average user would get a bit irritated losing the beginning of another show because they were not watching the clock.

#16 OFFLINE   MichaelP

MichaelP

Godfather

• Registered
  • 265 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 01:09 PM

Dangit! I didn't see this post until this morning. My recording of Heroes is about a minute short. Thanks goodness NBC puts the eps on their web site so I can catch the last few seconds.
Samsung LN-S3251D
DirecTV HR20-700s
Sony STR-DG800 w/JBL SCS145.5S Speakers
Sony DVP-NC85H/B
 tv
Logitech Harmony 880 Remote

#17 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 01 May 2007 - 01:27 PM

I just saw this now. Hopefully one of my DVR's will have the whole thing, or its SciFi on Friday...

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#18 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 02:40 PM

Oh I understand. My point being with Heroes is that every week it's scheduled in the guide to go to 10:01 or 10:02. Thus adding any padding isn't going to effect anything since you are already into the next half hour slot. It won't create any extra conflict then you'd already have due to the extended episode.

And all the networks do it and have been for a better part of a decade. Fox sitcoms? First half hour always bleeds at least a minute into the second half hour. American Idol always goes a minute into the next hour.
NBC made this famous with Friends going over a minute, then 5, then 10 minutes. CBS tends to not do this so much but they have on occasion.

Again, get to know your programs and which ones you need to pad or not.

#19 OFFLINE   DaHound

DaHound

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 06:30 AM

Dangit! I didn't see this post until this morning. My recording of Heroes is about a minute short. Thanks goodness NBC puts the eps on their web site so I can catch the last few seconds.

Had to do the same thing. I ran to the computer and pulled it up.
Panasonic Plasma TH-37PX60
HDMI - Native On (720,1080)
Digital from TV to Onkyo Receiver
HR20-700 (2) Hard Wired to Linksys router

#20 OFFLINE   MichaelP

MichaelP

Godfather

• Registered
  • 265 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 07:37 AM

Had to do the same thing. I ran to the computer and pulled it up.

Isn't that special? NBC's site isn't serving the correct episode. I guess I'll just hope I can get the entire thing off Sci-Fi Friday night.
Samsung LN-S3251D
DirecTV HR20-700s
Sony STR-DG800 w/JBL SCS145.5S Speakers
Sony DVP-NC85H/B
 tv
Logitech Harmony 880 Remote

Protected By... spam firewall...And...