Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Two TVs on one receiver (newbie question)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jlabsher

jlabsher

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 November 2002 - 11:21 PM

I have a 500 system with a 501 and 2 301s. I want to hook up another TV to one of the 301s. It is just an extra TV that I haven't used much and probably won't be used that much. I don't want to spring for another 301 plus the $5 a month.

The receiver and TVs will be in adjacent rooms. What kind of setup should I use to be able to utilize a remote? I know I will probably have to run a splitter off of the output side of the receiver through to the "new" set. My question is will the remote work through walls or should I get one of those setups like they sell at Radio Shack? A repeater of some type.

Both TVs will not be on different channels at the same time, I know that will not work, but I just want to be able to use this old TV come baseball season instead of watching even more Cartoon Network or HGTV than I already am!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sneakymoose

sneakymoose

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 November 2002 - 08:27 AM

If you have the UHF remote (and the receiver has a UHF antenna on the back of it), then you should have no problems using the remote in the second room. In the first room, you can get a universal remote to replace the Dish one, or just carry the remote you have between rooms.

I do this right now. I have the 4900 receiver downstairs in the family room and an older TV in the master bedroom. The 4900 outputs to the downstairs TV through the super-video cable and an optical audio cable. It outputs to the TV upstairs through channel 4 on the coax. The TV setup downstairs has a universal remote from Radio Shack, and upstairs uses the Dish UHF remote.

#3 OFFLINE   jlabsher

jlabsher

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 November 2002 - 12:21 PM

No, won't work, the 301 has an IR receiver.

#4 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 29 November 2002 - 01:35 PM

There are a few options for turning channels in the other room. You can get the RCA cone system at Wal-Mart, radio shack, etc. or you can get the Dish IR-to-UHF Upgrade Kit for about the same price as the cone system and it would work better because it comes with a UHF remote and one cone. It converts IR to UHF so that you can control the receiver all over the house, vs. just the next room with the cone system. You get another remote to boot in which is UHF. Both cost around $50 each.

#5 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 29 November 2002 - 02:50 PM

The Dish UHF-to-IR Upgrade kit works fine - I got one for my 2700 and I am quite satisfied with it. However, the price is about $69, not just $50...
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#6 OFFLINE   Sandman

Sandman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 374 posts

Posted 29 November 2002 - 03:19 PM

From where can one obtain the UHF to IR
upgrade I can't find it on the Dish website, but I may not be looking in the correct areas

Thanks

#7 OFFLINE   HTguy

HTguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 29 November 2002 - 08:13 PM

Originally posted by Sandman
From where can one obtain the UHF to IR
upgrade I can't find it on the Dish website, but I may not be looking in the correct areas.

You can probably buy one direct by calling the 800# if you don't mind paying S&H. But if there is a full-service type retailer in your area you could walk in & buy it over-the-counter.
"A DISH IN EVERY HOME"

#8 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 01 December 2002 - 09:26 PM

You don't have to use a splitter. Just use one of the higher quality video outputs (SVideo or composite) to the main TV it's connected to, and run the RF output to the other TV.

No, the remote won't work through walls, but DISH sells their own repeater device that includes an RF remote and an RF to IR conveter that goes in the same room with the receiver.

#9 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 02 December 2002 - 12:05 PM

There was a price drop on the IR-to-UHF upgrade kit, it used to be $69 but now is $49, but some retailers may still be selling it at the higher price, because there is little profit for the retailers on extra hardware such as this.

#10 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 02 December 2002 - 12:48 PM

www.dishdepot.com is where I ordered mine from.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Protected By... spam firewall...And...