Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Audio Issue with ABC

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ryan8886

ryan8886

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:20 PM

Just curious if anyone else suffers from this or not. I have my 622 set to record "Boston Legal" on Tuesday nights. The last few "new" episodes have been recorded with a very annoying anomoly. During the first 10-14 minutes of the show, only background music is audible...character voices are so low as to be nearly inaudible. I record on the satellite HD channel (received on 118.7 in Detroit area) and don't know if this is also occuring on the SD channel. I don't have OTA set up at this time so no comparison there either. After the first 10-14 minutes, voices go through a short audio stutter and then revert to normal with no further issues. The issue started when I was still running L3.66 and L4.04 has had no effect one way or the other. Any ideas?
Ryan

JVC AV-56WP74 CRT-RPTV
Dish ViP 722 HD-DVR
Oppo DV-981HD
Logitech Harmony 880
Harman Kardon AVR 330
Emotiva LPA-1 Amplifier
Fronts: Athena AS-F2.2
Center: Athena AS-C1.2
Surround: Athena AS-B1.2
Subwoofer: SVS 25-31PCi

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:10 AM

This is a source problem not a 622 problem. This problem with ABC has been discussed several times. It has happened to me several times on BL.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#3 OFFLINE   lujan

lujan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:32 AM

You need to contact the engineering or master control of your local ABC station and ask them to flip the switch necessary for the audio in HD programming. I had to do this several times then they started broadcasting in HD. I don't have to do it much anymore.
171 Blu-ray
83 DVD
63 HD DVD

#4 OFFLINE   ryan8886

ryan8886

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:37 AM

Thanks for the info. Thought that might be the case. Although it seems rather pitiful that I should have to call my local affiliate, in a major market no less, and tell them how to do their job! :nono2: Appreciate it!
Ryan

JVC AV-56WP74 CRT-RPTV
Dish ViP 722 HD-DVR
Oppo DV-981HD
Logitech Harmony 880
Harman Kardon AVR 330
Emotiva LPA-1 Amplifier
Fronts: Athena AS-F2.2
Center: Athena AS-C1.2
Surround: Athena AS-B1.2
Subwoofer: SVS 25-31PCi

#5 OFFLINE   Nick456

Nick456

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:57 AM

I have had this issue occur on Ugly Betty & Desperate House Wives. When I called the local ABC Station I was told it is an issue with the National feed from NY, and all the local station can do is keep reporting the problem.

#6 OFFLINE   logicalnoise

logicalnoise

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:11 AM

Lost tends to have issues from time to time. They never last more than a minute or so during a particular episode. Like last week there was an annoying static pop sound that went on rhythmically for about 2 minutes.

#7 OFFLINE   jmcginn825

jmcginn825

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 09:51 AM

Lost tends to have issues from time to time. They never last more than a minute or so during a particular episode. Like last week there was an annoying static pop sound that went on rhythmically for about 2 minutes.

I have been experiencing this same problem as well.

LOST and Grey's Anatomy.

#8 OFFLINE   ls7dude

ls7dude

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 05:41 PM

I have had this issue occur on Ugly Betty & Desperate House Wives. When I called the local ABC Station I was told it is an issue with the National feed from NY, and all the local station can do is keep reporting the problem.

It certainly isn't the National Feed. We watch Desperate Housewives every week, in synch (HD).

I'm having problems with NBC and CBS.

#9 OFFLINE   debpasc

debpasc

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 03:59 PM

Had the same exact experience as ryan8886 on the most recent Boston Legal. There is always something not quite right during the playback of that program. As reported elsewhere, ABC HD programs are the only ones I have these llittle disturbances with.

#10 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 04:49 PM

Had the same exact experience as ryan8886 on the most recent Boston Legal. There is always something not quite right during the playback of that program. As reported elsewhere, ABC HD programs are the only ones I have these llittle disturbances with.

And that's because it's an ABC problem. :confused:
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

Protected By... spam firewall...And...