Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SD Picture Horrible on my HDTV

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   opus223

opus223

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 07:59 AM

Hello Everybody,
I am new to E*(2 months) and I am a not to happy with them. Before I signed up with them I asked a couple of different CSR's about HD programming in the Cleveland OH area. I am a Cavs and Indians fan and I had Cox cable broadcasting their games in HD (Home games only). I was told every time, by the CSR's, that if the games where broadcast in HD I WOULD receive them in HD on the same E* channel. We all know that this is a lie, and I am one of the many people caught in this lie. I can live with this for now, but this is the problem. Why is the picture quality of STO and FSN OHIO and some other SD channels so horrible on my LCD HDTV, they are almost unwatchable. I have to go to a bedroom to watch these games on a tube tv to enjoy them. Is there any kind of setting to my VIP622 or my tv to make this picture quality better? I am stuck in a 18 mo contract and I need to see if I can fix this problem. I do enjoy the HD lineup and this is why I switched to E*, I just want to enjoy my total TV experience.

Sony Bravia 46" HD LCD
Dish VIP622 DVR HD
HDMI cable for video
Fiber Optic cable for sound
OTA antenna for HD locals (roof mount, Radio Shack $69.00) works great

I would like to thank anybody in advance for any help.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:45 AM

Welcome to the forum. If you will do a search on this forum with the string "SD picture" (include the quotes) you will find several discussions of this issue.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#3 OFFLINE   opus223

opus223

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:56 AM

Thank you, I will look it up

#4 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:49 AM

Some of this may be the 622 and some may be the TV. How did SDTV look to you on this LCD from your cable company, before Dish? Something you may want to try is hooking up the SVIDEO connection from the ViP622 to your TV and watch SD channels via that input. If you have a good scaler in your LCD then you might see an improvement. Also, you can try changing the output resolution of your ViP622 via component/HDMI to 480i/480p when watching SD and see if it looks better.
Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

#5 OFFLINE   thefunks67

thefunks67

Godfather

• Registered
  • 259 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:56 PM

Chuck has some sound advice. Do a search, there are a bunch of threads addressing the SD on and HDTV topic.

What specific issues are you seeing that makes the SD "unwatchable" on your HDTV?

-Funk

Oh, and welcome to E*!

#6 OFFLINE   sthor

sthor

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 11:15 AM

Hello Everybody,
I am new to E*(2 months) and I am a not to happy with them. Before I signed up with them I asked a couple of different CSR's about HD programming in the Cleveland OH area. I am a Cavs and Indians fan and I had Cox cable broadcasting their games in HD (Home games only). I was told every time, by the CSR's, that if the games where broadcast in HD I WOULD receive them in HD on the same E* channel. We all know that this is a lie, and I am one of the many people caught in this lie. I can live with this for now, but this is the problem. Why is the picture quality of STO and FSN OHIO and some other SD channels so horrible on my LCD HDTV, they are almost unwatchable. I have to go to a bedroom to watch these games on a tube tv to enjoy them. Is there any kind of setting to my VIP622 or my tv to make this picture quality better? I am stuck in a 18 mo contract and I need to see if I can fix this problem. I do enjoy the HD lineup and this is why I switched to E*, I just want to enjoy my total TV experience.

Sony Bravia 46" HD LCD
Dish VIP622 DVR HD
HDMI cable for video

Can you get the games OTA?

Dish does not have Orlando FL locals in HD so I use OTA. My SD looks about as good as SD can look on my 50" Panasonic Plasma 9UK monitor.

#7 OFFLINE   Guitar1969

Guitar1969

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 11:25 AM

Hello Everybody,

Sony Bravia 46" HD LCD
Dish VIP622 DVR HD
HDMI cable for video

Try fiddling with the sharpness setting on the LCD itself(sometimes is called Picture on some tvs), sometimes softening it(turning it down) helps since the LCD picture by nature is pretty sharp to begin with I had this problem on HD channels on my Plasma when I first got the 622 , and after I did this, the picture looked a lot better.

#8 OFFLINE   opus223

opus223

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 12:33 PM

Here is an update...

I searched the data base and tried some things

S-video cable-didn't change anything
Tried both tuners (PIP) button no change
I even tried the "yellow cable" for video only, picture got worse
I will try the sharpness setting with tonights Indians game

also, to answer the questions of "thefunks67" and "sthor"...

Indians home games that are on a Sunday, are broadcast in HD OTA and I do watch them, only games on abc for basketball are OTA

With baseball, when the center field camera is used, with every pitch, the names on the pitchers jerseys are not readable, that is why it is unwatchable. Everything except close ups on players are grainy/fuzzy

I will give an update later and thanks again for the help

#9 OFFLINE   tomcrown1

tomcrown1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 12:36 PM

Strange i have the Sony 40xbr2 and the SD picture is great. When was your Sony manufactured. If it is before 2/15/07 call Sony and get the Firmware update. This should fix your problem.
Welcome to Dish the new AT&T

:) life is to to to short so be???

#10 OFFLINE   opus223

opus223

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 12:50 PM

How do I find out when the tv was made and how is the firmware updated to the tv?

#11 OFFLINE   opus223

opus223

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 12:57 PM

I found the manufacture date on the rear of the tv- Sept 2006-
I will now try to find out how to update the firmware
thank you tomcrown1

#12 OFFLINE   tomcrown1

tomcrown1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 01:25 PM

I found the manufacture date on the rear of the tv- Sept 2006-
I will now try to find out how to update the firmware
thank you tomcrown1

On the rear of the set is a USB port. you have to call Sony and get them to send you the upgraded FIRMWARE which comes on a thumbdrive. You insert the thumbdrive into the USB slot on the back of the set and wait from 1/2/ hour to one hour for it to complete. Do not mess with your set while the update is going on or you may hose your TV.
Welcome to Dish the new AT&T

:) life is to to to short so be???

#13 OFFLINE   opus223

opus223

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 07:14 AM

update #2

no luck with sharpness control

I will be calling Sony for a possible firmware update

Not all SD channels are as bad as my RSN (STO & FSN Ohio)

OTA SD is perfect looking, nice and sharp

Could this be the compression I have been seeing on other topics?

I am new to this forum and I am still educating myself with how the whole DBS thing works. I am very interested on learning the details.

#14 OFFLINE   dreslism

dreslism

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 07:29 AM

opus223,

I have the exact same issue that you have with RSN. I am in detroit so the pistons and tigers play on FSN Detroit. It is an SD channel and it is just horrible I know exactly what you are saying.

I tried everything like you did. Svideo out, tried both tuners, no difference.

Sometimes the game is on both FSN detroit, and channel 20 local(but very rarely does this happen). When it is awful on FSN, I can put on 20 and it is OK.

FSN SD just has the worst picture quality of anything I have seen coming through dish.

If Dish would just add FSNHD, then there would be no issue.

Is there anyway to find out when they will add FSNHD, or request them to add it?

#15 OFFLINE   Mr.72

Mr.72

Icon

• Registered
  • 564 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 08:02 AM

dish already has FSN HD for some markets. The problem is, most of what they have on FSN is not in HD to begin with.

No, I take that back. The problem is that Dish compresses the snot out of FSN and it looks horrid. Most of what's wrong with that channel is not about it being in SD, it's mpeg compression artifacts that look terrible. It's dang near unwatchable. This was my biggest disappointment when I switched from DirecTV to Dish. On DirecTV, FSN-SW looked about 1000% better.

Of course now we're in the NBA playoffs and I could care less about FSN. Next year maybe they'll have a lot of NBA games on FSN-HD, but I'm not holding my breath. I may try and "move" to San Antonio so that I can get the SA locals in HD from Dish and at least get Spurs games with some kind of decent picture quality.
Sling-enabled Hopper, Joey, RokuXD, coupla HDTVs, a real old DD5.1 receiver and a 1963 Fisher tube hifi

Protected By... spam firewall...And...