Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Final Call before I create new Wish List polls

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
61 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 01:57 PM

Ok... finally call before I post new Wish list polls. Yes multiple polls this time. I went through the current Wish List and came up with the following list. Mostly based on if I could figure out the feature, if I saw it more than one post requesting it, or it sounded good to me. I believe I also removed USB support since it obviously is currently being worked on and VOD removal because it is obvious that this feature is here to stay.

Last chance to get your pet feature added to the list so people can vote. This time, I plan on creating two polls: one for overall features and another for User Interface improvements. See the list below and if you think something is missing provide feedback. I will take a look at this thread over the weekend and add any of the choices that seem cool or have a significant amount of people wanting them added to the list.

I plan on posting the polls on Monday.

General Wish List Items
-----------------------------
Web Scheduling
Native resolution pass-through
Sticky Playback
Save Preferences and timers using USB Drive.
USB Keyboard Support
Content Sharing Between 622s
Screen Positioning
High Resolution Support for Pictures
Account Validation/PPV through Ethernet
Discrete code for CC on/off. (CC enable Disable through Remote)

Sticky Playback - The ability to pause a recorded program you are current watching, PIP
swap to your Tuner Buffer and Pip swap back to your recorded Program.

Account Validation/PPV through Ethernet - Ability to authorize you account by having your 622 hooked up to Ethernet instead of phone line.

User Interface Improvement Wish List
-----------------------------------------------
Folders (Ability to roll up Based on Show name and drill down)
Ability to filter TV1 and TV2 recorded shows.
Improved Search capabilities. (Do not include unsub shows etc.)
Improve the Naming Scheme used for Tuners and TV.
Seperate AO and NR rating restrictions.
Transponder and Satellite Added to Banner
Manual Positioning of PIP window (Better default PIP window positioning for 16x9 sets)
Dish Pass (Batch Restore/Skip Ability)
Blackout Icons in EPG for Sports Channels.

Dish Pass (Batch Restore/Skip Ability)
When using a Dish Pass to search for a show, all shows found by the search function will have timers automatically set up. Then you have to go through your timer schedule to delete shows that you do not want or not really what you wanted. There should be an option to just list the shows found by the search, and then pick the show(s) you wish to record.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   tomcrown1

tomcrown1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 02:02 PM

Bulid in slingbox like feature and native pass through
Welcome to Dish the new AT&T

:) life is to to to short so be???

#3 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 02:04 PM

Damn.. I can't believe I forgot Native Pass through. Going to add that one to the list ASAP. There was mention of it on a Tech Chat, but it has been quiet and that one does need to be on the list.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#4 OFFLINE   Guitar1969

Guitar1969

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 02:54 PM

Damn.. I can't believe I forgot Native Pass through. Going to add that one to the list ASAP. There was mention of it on a Tech Chat, but it has been quiet and that one does need to be on the list.

Ability to view playback progress bar at bottom of screen by hitting the play button - Right now the only way to see it is to actually pause the program.

#5 OFFLINE   elbodude

elbodude

Legend

• Registered
  • 174 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 02:55 PM

Buffering of tuners while box is in standby and while watching recorded programs.

#6 OFFLINE   Hall

Hall

Icon

• Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 03:15 PM

Buffering of tuners while box is in standby and while watching recorded programs.

Seconded

#7 OFFLINE   Skates

Skates

Icon

• Registered
  • 564 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 03:23 PM

1. A PIP label key so I can press a button and see what channel my PIP window is tuned to instead of having to swap to it to find out.

#8 OFFLINE   Hunter Green

Hunter Green

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 04:30 PM

Something analagous to TiVo's Suggestions.

#9 OFFLINE   tomcrown1

tomcrown1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 04:37 PM

Something analagous to TiVo's Suggestions.

Hunter I believe this will not happen as it is part of TIVO patient.
Welcome to Dish the new AT&T

:) life is to to to short so be???

#10 OFFLINE   4bama

4bama

Godfather

• Registered
  • 284 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 04:52 PM

As we all know each time we repeatedly hit the "Guide" button we switch the 622 to a different guide. We have the ability to create up to 4 different "customized" guides.

Any search function should search ONLY the channels in the currently active guide.

ALL, ALL SUB, ALL HD (these are hardwired) or custom favorite channel guides like MYFAV, SPORTS, MOVIES etc...

This will allow us to narrow our searches to only the selected channels in the guide we are currently using...

#11 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,335 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 04:52 PM

Ability to remove the pause bar ... but is that cared enough about to vote on?

I'd also like "content shared between ViP receivers" ... why limit it to the ViP-622? Let me play that content over on a 211! (I'm thinking no on playing it on a 942 since MPEG4 content would have to be converted to play on a 942.)

Transfer via USB 2.0 or Ethernet would be acceptable! :)
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#12 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 May 2007 - 04:54 PM

I understand the desire for buffering while watching recorded programs... that would be nice!

But buffering while in standby? That doesn't make sense to me. It wouldn't be in standby if it was buffering tuners... so it technically already does that, just don't turn it off!

If you want nightly updates to the EPG and so forth, those updates would necessarily interrupt the buffering process... so I'm not seeing a use for buffering while in standby.

Seems like you should just leave your receiver on when you are wanting buffering to occur. Am I missing something?

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#13 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 04:59 PM

I'd also like "content shared between ViP receivers" ... why limit it to the ViP-622? Let me play that content over on a 211! (I'm thinking no on playing it on a 942 since MPEG4 content would have to be converted to play on a 942.)

True James.. That would also make a 622 with a 211 into a 622 with two HD outputs. ;) Well almost. :D

#14 OFFLINE   4bama

4bama

Godfather

• Registered
  • 284 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 04:59 PM

Another idea....If you have OTA connected you should still be allowed to do PIP functions even in dual mode...limit one PIP window to OTA and the other to a Dish channel. Maybe the software logic would require the user to be watching an OTA channel then turn on PIP...I don't see why that would take very much software modification.

#15 OFFLINE   elbodude

elbodude

Legend

• Registered
  • 174 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 05:09 PM

I understand the desire for buffering while watching recorded programs... that would be nice!

But buffering while in standby? That doesn't make sense to me. It wouldn't be in standby if it was buffering tuners... so it technically already does that, just don't turn it off!

If you want nightly updates to the EPG and so forth, those updates would necessarily interrupt the buffering process... so I'm not seeing a use for buffering while in standby.

Seems like you should just leave your receiver on when you are wanting buffering to occur. Am I missing something?

I guess I still have TiVo blood, as that is what my TiVo box did. Correct, it would buffer "on or off" as long as it was plugged in. Just a nice feature.

#16 OFFLINE   rbonzer

rbonzer

Legend

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 05:14 PM

In the scheduled list of timer events, I want a third option of hide/show skipped events. I want a 'hide not new'/'show conflict' option, which would hide the events skipped because the show is not new, but show events that are not going to be recorded because of a conflict.

I usually show skipped events, but when I added a timer for Planet Earth, the show gets repeated so many times that the list get full of skipped events that it was a pain to read through the noise.

Not sure if this warrants a entry in the wish list, but it has bugged me for a while. (Do you have a young daughter that records Hannah Montana?)

#17 OFFLINE   apco25

apco25

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 05:32 PM

Add the ability to remember where you are in a paused show that is being recorded, after you go do something else (like watch another recorded show). Now you can only "start over", it does not remember where you were.

#18 OFFLINE   sthor

sthor

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 07:09 PM

Make OTA Tuner 3. I don't understand why we have Tner 1 and Tuner 2 but OTA is anonymous.

Also add the option to pad the ending time of an event up to 3 hours instead of just 1.5. For some sports events (NASCAR in particular) 1.5 hours is not enough.

#19 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• Registered
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:51 PM

Add "OTA" or an antenna symbol similar to the new "HD" logo used on the DVR list and other places.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#20 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:41 PM

While watching recorded program and switching tuners, don't stop the recorded program.
Fix the skip fwd/skip back while in pause mode
Don't clear all buffers if OTA signal is lost.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...