Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Final Call before I create new Wish List polls

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
61 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   Mr.72

Mr.72

Icon

• Registered
  • 564 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 06:35 PM

i agree about native pass-thru. i thought that was already on the list.
Sling-enabled Hopper, Joey, RokuXD, coupla HDTVs, a real old DD5.1 receiver and a 1963 Fisher tube hifi

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 09:05 PM

I do this all the time by hitting the right arrow on the remote. It doesn't show the elapsed time but it will how you the remaining time without having to pause the show. Just click on "Cancel" to remove it.

Doesn't just pressing 'Cancel' do the same thing?

#53 OFFLINE   kbuente

kbuente

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 01:28 AM

A decent idea although doing it through hardware would require replacement of every receiver ... and via hardware it still would not work for those who do not have reception of a NWS signal.

This feature is actually part of the new interactive Weather Channel features. A small icon similar to the "recording" clock that pops up on the 50x series receiver to let people know that something important is happening. (And although it IS an important life saving feature and EAS - Emergency Alert System - interruptions ARE required on cable systems, I would want a way to filter what warnings are displayed or the ability to turn off the cross-channel alerts.)

I would venture to say more people can receive a NWS signal than they can pick up OTA HD. But you are correct the 622 does not have an analog VHF receiver.

And I agree, you certainly should be able to configure WHAT counties or types of events you receive alerts for and it should only happen while watching live TV--not for anything being recorded for play-back later, it would out of date anyhow.

#54 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 07:10 AM

Is it as simple as "enabling" or writing code to support this ?? Does any of the hardware, or the chipset, support QAM ??

The chipset supports QAM. It may however need other hardware changes, don't know. Probably couldn't handle any encryption (cablecard) type requirement of Digital Cable. But its certainly worth asking for and see what they say. If nothing else may get them to consider including in a future model.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#55 OFFLINE   lujan

lujan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 09:38 AM

I don't know I always press the right arrow?
171 Blu-ray
83 DVD
63 HD DVD

#56 OFFLINE   tomcrown1

tomcrown1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 09:57 AM

The chipset supports QAM. It may however need other hardware changes, don't know. Probably couldn't handle any encryption (cablecard) type requirement of Digital Cable. But its certainly worth asking for and see what they say. If nothing else may get them to consider including in a future model.

How about a future model with a bulid in Slingbox. This will work great for DISH partner ATT--Since ATT can now advertise that with one sloution you can carry your DISH program with you anywere even on your ATT cell phone.
Welcome to Dish the new AT&T

:) life is to to to short so be???

#57 OFFLINE   hokie-dk

hokie-dk

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 10:07 AM

- one-button on the remote for change of format (1080i/720p/480p/etc)

This would be an extremely useful feature.
ViP622 - Software: L635 - Single Mode HDTV - Sony KDF-E60A20 using component connection through Sony Receiver: HT-6900DP
ViP722k - Software: L685 - Dual Mode HDTV - Sony KVL-46W5100 using component connection & SDTV- Sony KV27FV300
DP1000 Antenna

#58 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 11:05 AM

I agree. Same goes with a CC button based on the threads I have read. This of course would required a remote upgrade. Would be nice if they released a remote with these features and allowed users to upgrade. I am adding these to the list, but the only way I could see this done with the existing remote would be with a key combination (if that is even possible). Then perhaps the code could be capture by a universal and for people with a universal they would have a one button solution.

So this might be doable but in the long run I think they need to add those buttons to the remote. The other one that is talked about frequently is the dual single mode. I also added this one to the list, but I this one I am not to high on because I think it has potential side effects.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#59 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,653 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 04 May 2007 - 12:29 PM

And I agree, you certainly should be able to configure WHAT counties or types of events you receive alerts for and it should only happen while watching live TV--not for anything being recorded for play-back later, it would out of date anyhow.

I doubt that it would record the weather alerts ... that would be used live only ... and it would be useful to have live alerts even when watching a DVR event. (Able to be turned off for dubbing, of course.)

If there is an EAS alert people need to know NOW, not when they play back the recording and not when they are done playing back their recording. It should not be hard for the receiver to continue monitoring the satellite stream for alerts regardless of what you are watching. How much of that alert will be able to be displayed without stopping a recording is another unknown about the new feature. So many questions! Hopefully it will be available soon (for the rest of severe weather season) and have an off switch for those who don't want it.

All OT for this thread (since it isn't a feature for the wish list but one that is coming "soon"). At least it provides the functionality of the requested "weather radio alert" feature.

PS: I want the CC on/off button on the remote too!
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#60 OFFLINE   Hall

Hall

Icon

• Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 01:25 PM

DVRs don't record the caller-id window or if you hit "Info" while a show is recording so I'm sure they can make it so that it does NOT record a weather alert.

#61 OFFLINE   lujan

lujan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 02:17 PM

I just tried it and it works great. It's easier than pressing the right arrow. Thanks for the tip. I learn something new every day about the 622.:)
171 Blu-ray
83 DVD
63 HD DVD

#62 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 10:06 PM

Closed thread since I have added the polls in the sticky area for now. Please participate and vote for your fav 5 for both UI and feature wants.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

Protected By... spam firewall...And...