Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Can I toggle between Single and Dual Tuner Mode?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cutrock

cutrock

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 01:04 AM

Hello, newbie here. I have Dish coming out to install a second 622. They said that the 622 counts as two tuners, so they will have to take my 211 and my 381 receiver which is in another bedroom. Since I wanted to have occasional access to programming in that bedroom for guests, I would have to have them wire the 611's second tuner for use in that room. However, most of the time, I would be using this 622 in the master bedroom, and may want to have access to both tuners. Can I leave the 622 wired to work in the spare bedroom for occasional use, but set the 622 to Single mode so I can access both tuners from the bedroom without messing anything up? I'd like to just toggle between the two settings as needed, but I don't know if there are "repercussions". I don't want to lose programming or anything like that...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,266 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 01:11 AM

Sure. Just press the little "mode" switch inside the front panel to select single or dual mode. If you have timers set up for TV2 they will interrupt viewing on that TV ... you may want to check for new timer conflicts when you make the mode switch.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   Hall

Hall

Icon

• Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 06:42 AM

I'd like to just toggle between the two settings as needed...

By "as needed", do you mean by using the remote control ?? If so, no, you can't (yet ?).

#4 OFFLINE   derousse

derousse

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 08:42 AM

James, how might switching modes affect timer conflicts?

I typically run in dual mode with the preference set up to usually record on the TV2 tuner. My wife discovered the limitation of not being able to watch something on the 2nd TV when it is recording so after reading around on here I learned that I could temporarily switch to single mode and as long as a 2nd program wasn't recording, she could watch something on the other tuner on the 2nd TV. Then when she's done, I would switch back to dual mode.

So that was my plan of action if and when the same situation comes up again. Am I possible messing up scheduled timers by doing this?

#5 OFFLINE   cutrock

cutrock

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 09:12 AM

Hall: In "as needed" I meant having the ability to manually switch to single mode, then using remote number 1 to operate tuner 1 or 2. Would it be that I would have to access remote #2 to operate tuner 2 in single mode? That doesn't sound right...

James: I had presumed that once the mode was switched to single I'd have access to both tuners and that if both tuners had programming to record at the same hour they'd do it simultaneously regardless of which mode I switched the receiver to. Could you please elaborate on what your were thinking about possible timer conflicts?

#6 OFFLINE   rwjga

rwjga

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 09:17 AM

How many tuners are you allowed to have on an account. It would seem that anyone with HD could easly end up needing 3 or 4 622's if they have the means.

#7 OFFLINE   blackwhole

blackwhole

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 09:38 AM

Hall: In "as needed" I meant having the ability to manually switch to single mode, then using remote number 1 to operate tuner 1 or 2. Would it be that I would have to access remote #2 to operate tuner 2 in single mode? That doesn't sound right...

I believe the 'swap' button will switch which tuner you are viewing onscreen.

Still can't switch modes via remote. That would be a nice feature. Maybe L5.01.
Black Whole Scott

#8 OFFLINE   sthor

sthor

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 11:12 AM

Hello, newbie here. I have Dish coming out to install a second 622. They said that the 622 counts as two tuners, so they will have to take my 211 and my 381 receiver which is in another bedroom. Since I wanted to have occasional access to programming in that bedroom for guests, I would have to have them wire the 611's second tuner for use in that room. However, most of the time, I would be using this 622 in the master bedroom, and may want to have access to both tuners. Can I leave the 622 wired to work in the spare bedroom for occasional use, but set the 622 to Single mode so I can access both tuners from the bedroom without messing anything up? I'd like to just toggle between the two settings as needed, but I don't know if there are "repercussions". I don't want to lose programming or anything like that...

I don't understand this. I have a 622 in Single mode for my HD Panasonic Plasma and a 322 in another room for my SD TV's. I ordered them at the same time from Dish, no problem.

#9 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,266 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 11:49 AM

James, how might switching modes affect timer conflicts?

I consider timers to be delicate things that should always be checked after making changes. Just in case! Moving from a situation where TV1 has control of all tuners and can record on either satellite tuner to a situation where TV1 only has one satellite tuner would make me want to watch for overlaps that both want to record on TV1.

I generally stay in dual mode (with all of it's pitfalls) so I have not experimented with what would be best in single mode. Which is why I am cautious instead of assuming that there would be no problems.

Changing modes won't smoke the receiver and can be done at the press of a front panel button - but it is worth a check if your DVR events are important to you.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#10 OFFLINE   Hall

Hall

Icon

• Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 12:07 PM

Which is why I am cautious instead of assuming that there would be no problems.

It can cause conflicts as you allude to. It's probably some wierd combination of single vs dual mode, how "Record Plus" is set, and so on.

Worst case, I suspect you should be able to look at the timers and either fix any conflicts or re-create them.

#11 OFFLINE   cutrock

cutrock

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 03:54 PM

I don't understand this. I have a 622 in Single mode for my HD Panasonic Plasma and a 322 in another room for my SD TV's. I ordered them at the same time from Dish, no problem.

I was told that Dish usually only lets us have 4 tuners per home. I was lucky because I was able to fight to get a 5th one. That's why when they install my 622 dual tuner, they said they would need to take the 211 and 381 to even out the number of tuners I have.

As such I now will have two 622's and one 211 which would equal 5 tuners...Does anyone else have Dish set up to more than 5 tuners?

#12 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 881 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 09:03 AM

As such I now will have two 622's and one 211 which would equal 5 tuners...Does anyone else have Dish set up to more than 5 tuners?

I have a 622, 921, 721, 501 and 211 for a total of 8 tuners. I believe the limit is six (6) receivers which I had at one time.:)

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#13 OFFLINE   sthor

sthor

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 10:39 AM

Why would Dish want to limit the max number of receivers per home?

As long as the customer is paying foe them more should be better.

#14 OFFLINE   allargon

allargon

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 05:15 PM

I was told that Dish usually only lets us have 4 tuners per home. I was lucky because I was able to fight to get a 5th one. That's why when they install my 622 dual tuner, they said they would need to take the 211 and 381 to even out the number of tuners I have.

One guy says he has 8 tuners. I believe the limit may be 2 receivers per dish. That makes 4 tuners. However, I wonder if it varies based on the type of dish. One of the houses in a different part of my development has two dishes. I always assumed it was because they had more than 4 TV's.

#15 OFFLINE   Hall

Hall

Icon

• Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 05:58 PM

The number of dishes used to be a factor but with a multiswitch, you can connect many, many receivers to one dish.

Does this neighbor of yours have two dishes pointed in different directions ??

#16 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• Registered
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 09:12 PM

Dish will lease a maximum of 4 tuners, and allow each account a max of 6 receivers. The lease tuners can be 2 dual-tuner receivers, a dual- and 2 single-tuners, or 4 single-tuner receivers. Anything beyond that must be purchased, up to the 6 receiver limit. Dish has been known to make exceptions on both limits.

Allargon, as Hall implies, your neighbor is probably getting additional channels, possibly HDTV or international.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#17 OFFLINE   sthor

sthor

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 06:51 AM

The number of dishes used to be a factor but with a multiswitch, you can connect many, many receivers to one dish.

Does this neighbor of yours have two dishes pointed in different directions ??

Here in east central Florida Dish installs 2 dishes pointed in 2 different directions on their HD installations. Very common here.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...