Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Newbie looking for some advice

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   1kwik72

1kwik72

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 01:09 PM

Hello everyone looking for some input on what the best way to go would be. I am currently a D* subscriber with about 3mo left on my commitment. I am pretty happy with the service and programming I get but both of my older satellite boxes (7or 8yr old Sony's not sure of the model) are about ready for the trash can. I have a newer Hughes HD box in my home theater in the basement that also allows me to also get OTA channels. I currently don't get locals through D* and after speaking with their rep yesterday it looks like HD locals won't be available in my area any time soon. The way I have everything hooked up now is the Hughes HD/OTA receiver is run through my Yamaha RXV1400 reciever and one of the Sony's is also in the basement hooked directly to my big screen TV using s-video and regular audio cables. It also has a coax feed out to my standard definition tube TV on the main floor. I did it this way because we use the theater the most and I wanted picture in picture capability with the big screen. It does mean I have to go down stairs to switch channels on the sat box for the main floor TV but we use that TV mostly for watching local OTA channels during dinnertime. The second Sony box is in the bedroom on the second floor. This thing is giving me fits it has to be reset all the time and frequently looses the guide. I have wanted a DVR for a while now so I figured why not replace crappy Sony with a newer DVR. So when I called D* they said the new HD DVR doesn't have the OTA capability my Hughes does. So much for my plan to move the Hughes upstairs and put a HD DVR in the theater. I guess at this point I am looking at replacing at least 1 box and maybe adding a DVR Anyone have any suggestions as to how to set this all up with minimal hardware upgrades and without adding a ton of stuff to my monthly D* bill? Sorry for the long post thanks in advance

Craig

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 01:16 PM

Hello everyone looking for some input on what the best way to go would be. I am currently a D* subscriber with about 3mo left on my commitment. I am pretty happy with the service and programming I get but both of my older satellite boxes (7or 8yr old Sony's not sure of the model) are about ready for the trash can. I have a newer Hughes HD box in my home theater in the basement that also allows me to also get OTA channels. I currently don't get locals through D* and after speaking with their rep yesterday it looks like HD locals won't be available in my area any time soon. The way I have everything hooked up now is the Hughes HD/OTA receiver is run through my Yamaha RXV1400 reciever and one of the Sony's is also in the basement hooked directly to my big screen TV using s-video and regular audio cables. It also has a coax feed out to my standard definition tube TV on the main floor. I did it this way because we use the theater the most and I wanted picture in picture capability with the big screen. It does mean I have to go down stairs to switch channels on the sat box for the main floor TV but we use that TV mostly for watching local OTA channels during dinnertime. The second Sony box is in the bedroom on the second floor. This thing is giving me fits it has to be reset all the time and frequently looses the guide. I have wanted a DVR for a while now so I figured why not replace crappy Sony with a newer DVR. So when I called D* they said the new HD DVR doesn't have the OTA capability my Hughes does. So much for my plan to move the Hughes upstairs and put a HD DVR in the theater. I guess at this point I am looking at replacing at least 1 box and maybe adding a DVR Anyone have any suggestions as to how to set this all up with minimal hardware upgrades and without adding a ton of stuff to my monthly D* bill? Sorry for the long post thanks in advance

Craig

:welcome_s to the forum(s).
First: the OTA works on the HR-20.
Second: there is no coax out to feed anything, but all of the video outputs all are live so you can connect several things.
Now what didn't this help you with?
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   BIONIC1

BIONIC1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 01:19 PM

Both your Hughes boxes and the newer HD boxes off air systems work pretty much the same I'm not sure why you were told differently. You could just move them around and add in a new HD box if u wanted to. If you didnt want to have a second HD box theres always the SD DVR.
TSR3 for E* and CSR for D* respectively :D

#4 OFFLINE   morbid_fun

morbid_fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 402 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 01:19 PM

Craig

If you are looking for a SD DVR, you can use a promotional code on the website to receive a free one (DVR4U2). With this you can replace one of the Sony receivers with the DVR. The monthly cost for DVR service is 5.99 and covers any extra DVR's you may get as well.
My interpretation of what you wanted is one SD DVR and one HD DVR. Is this correct?

#5 OFFLINE   breadman

breadman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 01:31 PM

You can use an RF modulator hooked up thru av to hook to the standard television in another room. I do this for our tv in our family room. I have the modulator hooked up thru av and use the coax out on the modulator to run a line to our bedroom.
Silence is golden...duck tape is silver:D
AU9,H20-100,Westinghouse 27 LCD,91xg@50ft,Denon AVR1700

#6 OFFLINE   1kwik72

1kwik72

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 01:32 PM

Ok so let me make sure I understand this correctly. The HR-20 will work the same way as the Hughes HD box I have now? That is I can connect the satalite and and MY OTA antenna to the box (both coax) and it will output to my reciever via component cables and the on screen guide is compatable and will show my local channels including HD offerings like my hughes does? If so this would do what I want I could then move the Hughes upstairs to the bedroom ditch that Sony and leave the other Sony connected like it is now for PIP on the big screen and the main floor TV only adding the DVR surcharge to my bill/ If so that is exactly what I wanted to do wonder why the rep told me I couldn't do that?

Craig

#7 OFFLINE   gabe23

gabe23

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 02:00 PM

Ok so let me make sure I understand this correctly. The HR-20 will work the same way as the Hughes HD box I have now? That is I can connect the satalite and and MY OTA antenna to the box (both coax) and it will output to my reciever via component cables and the on screen guide is compatable and will show my local channels including HD offerings like my hughes does? If so this would do what I want I could then move the Hughes upstairs to the bedroom ditch that Sony and leave the other Sony connected like it is now for PIP on the big screen and the main floor TV only adding the DVR surcharge to my bill/ If so that is exactly what I wanted to do wonder why the rep told me I couldn't do that?

Craig

Yes, that setup should work fine. As for why you were told the wrong thing, it's probably because the OTA used to be disabled on the HR20. But that's been fixed since December, so I don't know why all the CSRs wouldn't be up to speed on that. All part of the 'CSR roulette', I suppose... :)

#8 OFFLINE   1kwik72

1kwik72

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 02:05 PM

Cool I just happen to have a $200 gift cert from Best Buy that I need to use.:D So for a little over a hundred bucks and $6 more per month I should be in business. :grin:

Thanks for the info!

Craig

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 02:05 PM

Ok so let me make sure I understand this correctly. The HR-20 will work the same way as the Hughes HD box I have now? That is I can connect the satellite and and MY OTA antenna to the box (both coax) and it will output to my receiver via component cables and the on screen guide is compatible and will show my local channels including HD offerings like my Hughes does? If so this would do what I want I could then move the Hughes upstairs to the bedroom ditch that Sony and leave the other Sony connected like it is now for PIP on the big screen and the main floor TV only adding the DVR surcharge to my bill/ If so that is exactly what I wanted to do wonder why the rep told me I couldn't do that?

Craig

Poor training of the CSR [who can't afford HD at home].
If you get the HR-20, you will need two SAT feeds to it [dual recording] and your OTA coax feed for the two OTA tuners.
Now you will have four tuners [2 SAT & 2 OTA] to record but only two recording at one time and you can't watch another channel while recording two programs. The manual says this but it is wrong. So you can watch a recording and record two other channels [SAT or OTA] at the same time.
A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   gabe23

gabe23

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 02:20 PM

Cool I just happen to have a $200 gift cert from Best Buy that I need to use.:D So for a little over a hundred bucks and $6 more per month I should be in business. :grin:

Thanks for the info!

Craig

Good luck, and be prepared for your TV viewing habits to change forever with the addition of the DVR. It's a great way to get the most out of your investment in an HDTV, since you can record and watch a lot of HD content that you would have missed otherwise. And since you're not coming from a Tivo, you won't need to be 'deprogrammed' to use the new DVR like the rest of us! :lol:

spam firewall