Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

TV Freezing on YES HD

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   shadyridr

shadyridr

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 06:09 PM

This has happened occasionally while watching YES HD (about 3 times in the last week or so). Has this happened to anybody else? Is it the HR20 or the YES HD channel. What happens is the picture just freezes out of the blue and there will be no sound. The box is completely responsive and all I have to do is change the channel and then change it back to get everything working again. No reboot is necessary. Any experience this?

I just rebooted now just to "clean" the system. See if it happens for a while.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 06:10 PM

This has happened occasionally while watching YES HD (about 3 times in the last week or so). Has this happened to anybody else? Is it the HR20 or the YES HD channel. What happens is the picture just freezes out of the blue and there will be no sound. The box is completely responsive and all I have to do is change the channel and then change it back to get everything working again. No reboot is necessary. Any experience this?

The picture isn't frozen, it's just that the aged Yankees are moving so slowly, it appears that the picture is frozen. :D

#3 OFFLINE   IneedCCs

IneedCCs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 07:00 PM

It's happened to me twice. Happened last night while I was watching the Yankees/Rangers game from a recording. I went to live TV and rewound to the same point and watched it from that point on w/o any further problems.

Just happened again around 8:00. This time I was watching it live.

I frequently have problems rewinding YESH. It won't go back, the picture just freezes.

I was gonna call DTV to get a new unit. I have a refurb (ugh) and thought it might be the HR20. I'm putting off calling as a last resort. I hate talking to CSRs, my experiences with them have not been good. (I'm being very diplomatic here.)

#4 OFFLINE   shadyridr

shadyridr

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 07:01 PM

It's happened to me twice. Happened last night while I was watching the Yankees/Rangers game from a recording. I went to live TV and rewound to the same point and watched it from that point on w/o any further problems.

Just happened again around 8:00. This time I was watching it live.

I frequently have problems rewinding YESH. It won't go back, the picture just freezes.

I was gonna call DTV to get a new unit. I have a refurb (ugh) and thought it might be the HR20. I'm putting off calling as a last resort. I hate talking to CSRs, my experiences with them have not been good. (I'm being very diplomatic here.)

It happened to me around 8PM as well. Now Im thinking its YES HD and not the HR20.

#5 OFFLINE   dlw283

dlw283

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 07:32 PM

I have noticed it as well..I think 3 or 4 times since the season started. I have had to skip forward about 90 seconds to get the picture back.

I have also noticed green slim alot lately when I skip forward 90 seconds during each break. It lasts for about half a second then goes away

#6 OFFLINE   shadyridr

shadyridr

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 08:19 AM

I have noticed it as well..I think 3 or 4 times since the season started. I have had to skip forward about 90 seconds to get the picture back.

I have also noticed green slim alot lately when I skip forward 90 seconds during each break. It lasts for about half a second then goes away

I have noticed that on YES and SNY HD sometimes when changing channels only in the last week.

#7 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 08:56 AM

The trickplay's freezing video is a known bug. I hope it's fixed soon.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#8 OFFLINE   Mike770

Mike770

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 01:19 PM

I also notice this freezing. On YesHD and SNYHD.
Mike

#9 OFFLINE   skaeight

skaeight

Icon

• Registered
  • 516 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 02:54 PM

I just got a replacement HR20 yesterday and today I noticed I don't have YESH or SNYH. D* support is trying to tell me they aren't broadcasting YES in HD today. WHAT!!?#@

Can someone confirm that YESH does still exist. This is completely ridiculous. Has anyone has this trouble with one of their HD RSN's?

#10 OFFLINE   dlw283

dlw283

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 03:01 PM

I just got a replacement HR20 yesterday and today I noticed I don't have YESH or SNYH. D* support is trying to tell me they aren't broadcasting YES in HD today. WHAT!!?#@

Can someone confirm that YESH does still exist. This is completely ridiculous. Has anyone has this trouble with one of their HD RSN's?

YESH does exist....watching the Yankees Double Header right now.

#11 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 03:17 PM

It only exists if you are in the NY DMA, which you are probably not. You don't get NESN HD either, for example.

#12 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,789 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 03:26 PM

To the OP and others reporting frozen pics on YES-HD: Did you check that when YES-HD freezes that it's ONLY YES-HD having provlems?

I have severe freezing and pixelation on YES-HD and all of my local NY MPEG4 channels, and will have my second service visit to try to resolve the problem. (Full story here: http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=86024)

#13 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 03:29 PM

To the OP and others reporting frozen pics on YES-HD: Did you check that when YES-HD freezes that it's ONLY YES-HD having provlems?

I have severe freezing and pixelation on YES-HD and all of my local NY MPEG4 channels, and will have my second service visit to try to resolve the problem. (Full story here: http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=86024)

I noticed YESHD froze near the beginning of the game this afternoon. When I swithced over to YESLD, it was fine. I switched back to HD, all was fine there too. Since I never choose to watch LD over HD, I don;t know if the LD channel ever freezes.

#14 OFFLINE   skaeight

skaeight

Icon

• Registered
  • 516 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 03:30 PM

Can someone help me here. This is beyond frustrating. Up until I installed my replacement HR20 last night I got YESH and SNYH. Now I've been on the phone with d* for about an hour, and their answer is pretty much, "Maybe they're not broadcasting in HD right now"

What can I do to get this resolved? No one seems to know what the heck they're doing there. The lady I'm talking to right now just tried to tell me that I won't get YESH because I don't have HD Locals yet. This is absolutely ridiculous. Does anyone have some super secret phone number where people actually know their *** from a hole in the ground?

#15 OFFLINE   skaeight

skaeight

Icon

• Registered
  • 516 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 03:36 PM

Ok, now they're telling me that YES comes from 110. I can't believe this. This is ridiculous.

#16 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 03:40 PM

Can someone help me here. This is beyond frustrating. Up until I installed my replacement HR20 last night I got YESH and SNYH. Now I've been on the phone with d* for about an hour, and their answer is pretty much, "Maybe they're not broadcasting in HD right now"

What can I do to get this resolved? No one seems to know what the heck they're doing there. The lady I'm talking to right now just tried to tell me that I won't get YESH because I don't have HD Locals yet. This is absolutely ridiculous. Does anyone have some super secret phone number where people actually know their *** from a hole in the ground?

I believe I already answered your question. Unless your in the NY DMA, you shouldn't get YESHD. You only get the RSN in HD for your DMA.

#17 OFFLINE   skaeight

skaeight

Icon

• Registered
  • 516 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 03:42 PM

I believe I already answered your question. Unless your in the NY DMA, you shouldn't get YESHD. You only get the RSN in HD for your DMA.

That's not right. I was getting YESH up until yesterday when I swapped my reciever. They recently expanded the boundries of YESH.

I was getting YESH and SNYH - DMAs have NOTHING to do with RSNs. YES territory expands well into northeastern PA.

#18 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,789 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 03:45 PM

I noticed YESHD froze near the beginning of the game this afternoon. When I swithced over to YESLD, it was fine. I switched back to HD, all was fine there too. Since I never choose to watch LD over HD, I don;t know if the LD channel ever freezes.

Sorry - I probably wasn't clear in my post. I didn't meant to check that the SD version of YES was not having problems, but I meant to say did you check to see if any other HD MPEG4 channels were also having problems .... You'd have to tune to another HD MPEG4 channel and wait a few moments. In my situtaiton, when I see the pixelation on YES-HD, I know all of my local MPEG4 HD channels will also have the pixelation, so I know it's not just a YES-HD issue - I have a different problem.

#19 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 03:51 PM

That's not right. I was getting YESH up until yesterday when I swapped my reciever. They recently expanded the boundries of YESH.

I was getting YESH and SNYH - DMAs have NOTHING to do with RSNs. YES territory expands well into northeastern PA.

I was merely stating that unless you are within the YESHD boundaries, then you wouldn't get it. I have no idea where in PA you are. I am on your side on this. I would love to have NESN HD, and would gladly trade YESHD for it. I cannot explain why you had it yesterday, and don't today.

#20 OFFLINE   skaeight

skaeight

Icon

• Registered
  • 516 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 04:01 PM

Ok, wow I am an idiot. Ok, last night when I set up my replacement receiver I accidentally put it in 3 lnb mode. I also went through and set up my favorites list.

Today I noticed it was in 3LNB mode and put it in 5 LNB mode, that's when I realized I wasn't receiving YESH & SNYH.

So I proceceed to spend an hour and half on the phone going back and forth with support. I just called retention and talked to a very nice gentleman by the name of "Willie." While I was talking to him, I had a revelation. I HAD SET MY FAVORITES LAST NIGHT WHEN I HAD THE RECIEVER IN 3LNB MODE!

Switched it to All channels and YESH & SNYH were there. Wow, I am a moron.

The only thing is that the majority of the d* reps I talked to didn't know any thing about HD RSNs, the Ka sports 99/103, MPEG-4 anything. They really need to get up to speed on this. I was told that the only HD baseball that is broadcast is on 95 and 73, and only HD Locals are on the 99/103 spots. They just would not believe me. Also a supervisor that was in Florida told me he couldn't tune to YESH so it didn't exist (um I think FL is just a little bit out of the spotbeam).

So long story short I acted like an idiot, but d* csrs really are idiots when it comes to the new technology.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...