Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Philips (Terk-lookalike) clip on antenna

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TopCat99

TopCat99

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 29 November 2002 - 11:13 PM

OK, so it's obvious that I'm not gonna get the rest of my locals as the merger promised, so I'm stuck sticking an antenna somewhere.

In my many travels this Black Friday, I saw a Philips version of the Terk clip-on. It promises great things, but I want to know what real people think.

Next question is plugging it into a Dish system. It says it'll work with Dual LNBFs and multiple receivers, but only has two inputs. My guess would be that you would have to feed the output of the SW21s back up to the dish, into the diplexer built into this antenna, then into the house. Is this correct?

Big block of talk, but bottom line is this: is this thing worth the $48? Also, anyone try it for FM broadcast band reception?
Cable? We don't need no stinkin' cable!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   JBKing

JBKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 30 November 2002 - 12:35 AM

It depends on how close you are to the signal, and any obstructions you have in the way. I tried the Terk clip on awhile back, it didn't do much for me, but my last house was behind a hill, and I didn't have much of a chance of getting any signal, no matter what style antenna I used.

If conditions aren't favorable, I would bet you are better off with the traditional style OTA antenna, even if it costs a bit more. I put one in the attic at my old house, and still got a better signal than what I did with the clip on.
Earl, I think you're trying to sell a cat to a guy who fancies dogs.

#3 OFFLINE   TopCat99

TopCat99

Godfather/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 01 December 2002 - 11:19 PM

Well, one of the locals I want I can pick up with a wet noodle. (Seriously, one of my TV's will get it reasonably clear by just unplugging the coax ;)). The other two may take some work, though.

I can always return it if it doesn't perform well. My main concern is hooking it up with two dual LNBF's as it only has two inputs. I guess I could take the output from each of my switches and feed to each input on the Terk-wannabe. Would like to know if anyone has tried that, tho :)

As for a traditonal antenna, I bought the second-biggest model RatShack had last summer for $4.97 (yes, less than five bucks) when it was deval-ed. I just don't have a place to put it. The place formerly occupied by a TV antenna now holds a 15-element Yagi for two meters :D

(P.S. Forget finding the $4.97 antennas anymore--any store with a ham nearby is completely out. And any manager that likes profit won't ship them in as they take a HUGE hit.)

#4 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 02 December 2002 - 04:54 PM

These clip on antennas are pretty bad. A Terk wannabe in my opinion is probably close to the performance of your wet noodle but don't count the noodle out to soon! Being a Ham you know how important a decent antenna is and unlike your 2 M antenna, the VHF/UHF spans a pretty broad spectrum. If you want good reception from the antenna you need to put up a decent antenna. The only advantage a clip on has over rabbit ears is mounting height.

..Doyle KG6MY
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#5 OFFLINE   TopCat99

TopCat99

Godfather/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 10:47 AM

I figured it was "too good to be true." That's why I started this thread--it defies common sense about antennas ;)

I just gotta find a place to stick that TV antenna now :lol:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...