Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New HR20-100s installed, some questions.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   conley_jb

conley_jb

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 09:02 PM

I just had a new Hr20-100s installed today. I have a couple questions, then some observations I’d love feedback on.

Q1 - Did I read correctly in another post that the OTA chip in this is not as good as the HR10 I upgraded from? The reason I ask is my local HD channels OTA aren’t coming in as strong as they had. We do have a lot of trees, etc in our neighborhood and HD oTA has been a challenge, but The two channels I averaged between 65% and 85% signal are now down to 35% and the ones I had less than 65% are not coming in. A couple others that I had 90% show as nearly 100% now though.

Q2 – Is the HR20-100b –“b” in particular designate black? If so how can I get one? This is what came with the installer and when I ordered it I asked if there was a black unit available and customer service said they don’t exist.

Q3 – Will these things burn in over time, like a pair of speakers or audio equipment and sound and look beter?

Comments:
As stated before I went from an HR10 that I had been using for about 2 years. The first thing I noticed on the HR20, was the graphics/ text in the menu are slightly blurred and the picture is rather faded on all channels. HD doesn’t look as good, even with Sharpness cut up, the picture seems almost like watching through a thin film. The Clariton commercial comes to mind. My third question may make more sense now.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,657 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 03 May 2007 - 09:12 PM

1. The HR20 OTA tuners appear to be somewhat more sensitive to signal variations, such as multipath (reflected signals). Try small changes to your antenna aiming/position and see if that helps. I had to play around with aiming quite a bit before I got all of my locals in properly.

2. There was a limited production run of black HR20's. Getting one is purely luck of the draw, and we've been told there won't be more (at least at this time).

3. Are you using the same type of connection (hdmi or component)? Try using the other (whichever it happens to be). You should not expect to see a change over time (as it burns in).

Carl

#3 OFFLINE   gblues

gblues

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 06:36 AM

Weird.. I had the opposite experience with my HR20 install--my OTA reception is an order of magnitude better than it was with the HR10-250. I don't know if it's because the KA/KU dish is farther away from the OTA antenna, if the 3LNB dish was blocking the signal, or what.

spam firewall