Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

622 with ReplayTV as extra recorder

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   saucycg

saucycg

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 01:51 PM

I'm about ready to ditch comcast and switch over to Dish - but I have one question that I can't seem to find an answer to. Here goes:

We currently have Comcast 6412 which we only record hidef content on. We also have a ReplayTV 4040 that I put a 250GB drive in. We use the replaytv for archiving all kinds of kids shows...there must be 50 episodes of Dora and Little Einsteins on there. Since it's standard cable, each box has it's own cable lead.

Theoretically, what I would like to do is use the 622 in the same fashion as the comcast box - primarily for HD content. Here's my question: Can I use the IR blaster with the replaytv to tune the 622 to the kids channels and record stuff, primarily in the mornings when the 622 is not set to record anything of it's own? My plan was to have the 622 hooked up to the plasma with component and then hook an svid cable from the 622 to the replay. This way the replay will fire up and switch the 622 to the kids shows which are output on the svid to the replaytv which then records them.

I guess the underlying question is: if there is an svid cable hooked up to the 622 as well as a component cable, will the 622 output BOTH standard def to the svid and hidef to the component simultaneously??

Hope that makes sense and thanks in advance!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   lujan

lujan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 02:21 PM

Yes, all outputs are hot at the same time so you would be able to record from both the svideo and component outputs at the same time.
171 Blu-ray
83 DVD
63 HD DVD

#3 OFFLINE   saucycg

saucycg

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 02:23 PM

Sweet, great to hear - thanks a lot!

#4 OFFLINE   tomcrown1

tomcrown1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 02:30 PM

Also if the replay has a USB port come this Summer Dish will allow us tu use up to 750MB to record from the usb source
"External Storage will be available this summer and currently it will support hard drives up to 750 GB. He explains that external sorage will help Dish reduce churn as customer who fill up external hard drives are not going to leav dish, as they will not be able to view their recorded libraries anywhere else."

more here
http://www.satellite...ead.php?t=96083

This is from Dish Summit
Welcome to Dish the new AT&T

:) life is to to to short so be???

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,795 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 May 2007 - 02:38 PM

You need to think this through a little more. The S-VHS output will be from TV1 which will be set to 16:9 for your plasma. The ViP622 currently does not adjust the output format to match the program content as I suspect that your Comcast receiver did. You might be able to set it up as TV2 in which case your options are composite or UHF/CATV. It may come down to what your ReplayTV can do with the ViP622.

#6 OFFLINE   dfergie

dfergie

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 02:45 PM

Your Replay will work fine with the 622, I've been using my 5xxx models with the 622, 921, 811 and D* HD receivers for awhile...

#7 OFFLINE   cutrock

cutrock

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 10:43 AM

Your Replay will work fine with the 622, I've been using my 5xxx models with the 622, 921, 811 and D* HD receivers for awhile...

Actually, the 622 is a little sticky when it comes to using it with a replay. I know because I own 3 replays and two 622's. I've found that I need to manually have the 622 turned on to make sure it will record to the replay. Otherwise, you'll wind up recording the 622's screen saver. I use my 622 in single mode, which means that I can watch a second live program while recording on the second tuner. You need to consider: are you going to have your 622 installed in single or dual mode? The thing here is that I believe the 622 defaults to record your first selected programming on the second tuner. As such, it can accomplish the record without having to turn on the tuner's output. This means you'll wind up recording the 622's screen saver with your replay. So, the hassle turns out that you have to manually have the 622 turned on, needlessly running the pvr, to allow the replay to record from the output.

So, if you plan to have more than one receiver, I can recommend a better plan. I typically do not record from the 622. I use my 211 or 381 receiver to record replay because it basically works the same way you're accustomed to with Comcast. The dish receivers need to power down once a day in order to update programming, but you can set menu preferences to have it turn off at say, 3 am then back on again at 4 am, and stay on the rest of the day. Since 211 and 381 don't have pvr's it's not a big energy drain to leave them on for your replay. Anyway, I stream the content between replays via the network. Since I still have a replay located with my 622, I can just stream the content recorded from the 211 to that location to watch.

There are actually a couple of other options as well, but I've cut to the chase for the option that actually works the best when integrating replay with Dish. I hope this helps.

#8 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 11:31 AM

And I have found that using the S-Video out I have to hit the format button (*) key or I end up with a more or less square picture rather than 4:3 on my DVD recorder. I think I'd use TV2 coax to the replay and not use single mode. Set autotune timers on the 622 for tv2 and then set the replay to record the proper UHF channel. You'll need to experiment.

#9 OFFLINE   jvidalc

jvidalc

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 04:06 PM

Whenever I want to "Archive" to my replay, I setup a timer to "Autotune" on tv1.
I use Single mode exclusively, and the video output is set to "Normal" or "Gray Bar", depending on if it's HD or SD.

Just make sure there aren't any other timers on tv1 that may cause a channel change.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...