Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What happened to Direct tv?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wisardd1

wisardd1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 01:17 PM

I have been a subscriber for 13 years. This year I have run into a lot of difficulties with DTV customer service. My latest is that I accidentally bought the De la Hoya fight in SD, because I couldn't find the fight in hd. The day of the fight I found it, so I purchased it too. I tried calling and logging on the dtv to no avail. Finally, after the fight, I talked to customer service and they said there would not correct the mistake and that I had to pay for two versions of the fight. I don't get it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jonaswan2

jonaswan2

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 01:19 PM

You don't get refunded for events. So even if you could have contacted DIRECTV the day of the fight, you wouldn't have been credited for the SD event.

#3 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,756 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 01:20 PM

You purchased both versions. The fine print states that the charge is non refundable regardless of your error.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#4 OFFLINE   wisardd1

wisardd1

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 01:26 PM

NOT!

#5 OFFLINE   jonaswan2

jonaswan2

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 01:37 PM

NOT!

This isn't a DIRECTV rule, it's the provider's rules.

#6 OFFLINE   mganga

mganga

Godfather

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 03:37 PM

This isn't a DIRECTV rule, it's the provider's rules.

yeah, it never directv's fault. standard "pass the buck" response.

#7 OFFLINE   serenstarlight

serenstarlight

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 07:54 AM

Bad business practice= you ordering the fight get searching for satellite signal and dtv not crediting you back for the fight

NOT!

"Sarcasm is just one more service we offer."

#8 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:32 AM

Bad business practice= you ordering the fight get searching for satellite signal and dtv not crediting you back for the fight

That is different then the OP's issue....

If you couldn't receive it for some reason... for a search for satellite...
Call DirecTV and talk to their reps...

But you also have to clearly identify the issue with them, and it is going to be very difficult 4 days later.... as think of it from their point of view...

Even if you are the most trustworthy person in the world... how many people do you think started to call on Sunday/Monday and Today, stating: oh... I bought the fight, but couldn't watch it for X,Y,Z reason... I would like a refund.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#9 OFFLINE   bills976

bills976

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 09:16 AM

But that's not the OP's situation. Why would someone buy the fight in SD and HD for a reason other than operator error? It doesn't make any sense. It's exactly the same programming.

Situations like this are why companies like DirecTV, who don't have people you can go talk to in person, need to give their CSRs more latitude to make judgment calls. Overarching policies don't always work for 15 million+ customers.

#10 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 09:17 AM

And what happened here according to the first post is that he bought the SD version. Then later found out there was an HD version and also bought that. Now he wants a refund for the SD version.

If it were me I would have called *before* the fight to see if I could switch my purchase to the HD version. I wouldn't just go an order the HD version knowing I already bought the SD version.

Refunds for these things are almost never given after the fact, only before (like Sunday Ticket can't be cancelled once the first game starts).

My view anyway.

#11 OFFLINE   gabe23

gabe23

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 09:22 AM

If it were me I would have called *before* the fight to see if I could switch my purchase to the HD version.

That makes sense, but the OP already said that he tried contacting DirecTV *before* the fight, and they were unreachable.

#12 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 09:27 AM

That makes sense, but the OP already said that he tried contacting DirecTV *before* the fight, and they were unreachable.

Then to me I would have just watched it in SD. I'd take no chance getting charged twice. I know how these things always shake down.

In his case I guess a calm CSR roulette is in order and to simply state that he had purchased the SD version, tried to call in to switch to the HD version and couldn't get through so he got the HD version anyway and again calmly ask for a refund of the SD version only which he didn't need. My not get anywhere but doesn't hurt trying. It is the risk he took knowingly buying both versions.

#13 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,357 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 08 May 2007 - 09:39 AM

Top Ten excuses not acceptable to Directv:

- my so-called friends didn't show up
- I fell asleep
- my mother called
- rain fade
- didn't like the outcome/lost the bet
- different ending on SD than on HD
- what fight?
- power failed
- don't care for rectangular images

and the number one excuse not acceptable to Directv...

- I forgot to watch

:P

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#14 OFFLINE   serenstarlight

serenstarlight

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 10:47 AM

I was just giving an example of what bad business practice would have been ;)

That is different then the OP's issue....

If you couldn't receive it for some reason... for a search for satellite...
Call DirecTV and talk to their reps...

But you also have to clearly identify the issue with them, and it is going to be very difficult 4 days later.... as think of it from their point of view...

Even if you are the most trustworthy person in the world... how many people do you think started to call on Sunday/Monday and Today, stating: oh... I bought the fight, but couldn't watch it for X,Y,Z reason... I would like a refund.

"Sarcasm is just one more service we offer."

#15 OFFLINE   Bobcuch

Bobcuch

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 08:09 AM

But there is a point here.... When I bought the fight in HD I went to check on other boxes and the SD channels were live as well. (Wife watched it in the other room to avoid cigar smoke.) :-)
So, since the SD version of the fight was included with the HD version of the fight, is he not being double charged for the same thing?

#16 OFFLINE   NYHeel

NYHeel

Godfather

• Registered
  • 304 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 12:11 PM

But there is a point here.... When I bought the fight in HD I went to check on other boxes and the SD channels were live as well. (Wife watched it in the other room to avoid cigar smoke.) :-)
So, since the SD version of the fight was included with the HD version of the fight, is he not being double charged for the same thing?

I completely agree. It's one event. If you buy it in any format you get it on all boxes in your house. THis is not an issue with the event provider. It's a Directv issure. Had he bought the HD one first he would be getting the SD one as well. I don't see how Directv can possibly justify charging twice for the same programming. It's not like getting a refund for Sunday ticket after the first game. It's more like if someone bought Sunday ticket on 1 TV and then for whatever reason it wasn't authorized on his second TV so he bought it again on that TV and then Directv charged him twice for it.

Keep calling until you get someone to credit you for the SD version.

#17 OFFLINE   luckydob

luckydob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 451 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 07:55 PM

why should he get credit? If you bought something that was non-refundable (which is CLEARLY LABELED) you know you will not get the money back. Then you go and purchase a 2nd PPV and confirmed it while also knowing that this too is NON-REFUNDABLE. Geesh...the customer is NOT always right. So, D* should just take a loss on this because of someone else's mistake??? Tell me how that makes sense...it doesn't.

#18 OFFLINE   rkjg24

rkjg24

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 11:37 PM

Wow, nice to see another Gordon fan posting here :D. and dont you know? D* is ALWAYS the bad guys! If they don't LOSE money by giving away everything for free, then no one's happy!

That aside...I do agree that you should be credited the SD.

#19 OFFLINE   gnwes

gnwes

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 11:40 AM

why should he get credit? If you bought something that was non-refundable (which is CLEARLY LABELED) you know you will not get the money back. Then you go and purchase a 2nd PPV and confirmed it while also knowing that this too is NON-REFUNDABLE. Geesh...the customer is NOT always right. So, D* should just take a loss on this because of someone else's mistake??? Tell me how that makes sense...it doesn't.

now explain to me how would this be a loss to D* if they refunded him???

#20 OFFLINE   beavis

beavis

Icon

• Registered
  • 528 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 02:48 PM

They have to pay the promoter for every order. That's how they'd lose money.

If it were me, I'd make sure it was (or wasn't) available in HD before I ordered it.

D* could at least give you 3 months free of Starz or Showtime or $10 off a premium service for 6 months.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...