Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Saved $30/month thanks to Verizon

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   leadout_kv

leadout_kv

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 05:53 PM

I just saved ~$30/month on my DirecTV bill thanks to Verizon FIOS TV. How? FIOS TV is being offered in my area now so I called Verizon and asked them what I would be charged if I told them exactly what I had from DirecTV. Then, I called DirecTV and told them that Verizon was charging a certain amount to sign me up as a new customer. DirecTV's customer retention department was glad to reduce my monthly bill to match Verizon's offer and to keep me as a long time customer.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   riesjj

riesjj

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 09:27 PM

I just saved ~$30/month on my DirecTV bill thanks to Verizon FIOS TV. How? FIOS TV is being offered in my area now so I called Verizon and asked them what I would be charged if I told them exactly what I had from DirecTV. Then, I called DirecTV and told them that Verizon was charging a certain amount to sign me up as a new customer. DirecTV's customer retention department was glad to reduce my monthly bill to match Verizon's offer and to keep me as a long time customer.

ATT/SBC will be offering thier IPTV solution in my area soon. I will have to try that same tatic with DTV. Thanks for the info.

#3 OFFLINE   Blackz06

Blackz06

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 03:20 PM

If you have any Verizon service you can always bundle your bill Verizon/D* and save $20 a month for a year.

#4 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,296 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 08 May 2007 - 03:30 PM

ATT/SBC will be offering thier IPTV solution in my area soon. I will have to try that same tatic with DTV. Thanks for the info.

Might be hard, since my understanding is that SBC only has the bandwidth for ONE HD channel per house at a time. Remotely switched video over copper.

#5 OFFLINE   Drewg5

Drewg5

Icon

• Registered
  • 716 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:44 PM

Might be hard, since my understanding is that SBC only has the bandwidth for ONE HD channel per house at a time. Remotely switched video over copper.

They also have Dishnetwork in there pocket... Hence the HomePortal its IPTV & E* in one nice little box.. If I'm not mistaken.

My Junk

ATT Uverse

45" Sony

30" Visio web connected

#6 OFFLINE   Ray_Clum

Ray_Clum

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 04:17 AM

They also have Dishnetwork in there pocket... Hence the HomePortal its IPTV & E* in one nice little box.. If I'm not mistaken.

Unfortunately, you are mistaken. The HomeZone box is Dish Network combined with the ability to download movies online from Akimbo as VOD. at&t's IPTV service (U-Verse) and E* are totally separate services.
If you can read this, you are too close.

#7 OFFLINE   tenmidgets

tenmidgets

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 11:52 AM

If you have any Verizon service you can always bundle your bill Verizon/D* and save $20 a month for a year.

How would I do that? I have Verizon & D* but I don't understand what would be the impetus for them to reduce my monthly bill by $20 for a year? Can you elaborate?

#8 OFFLINE   JVM

JVM

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 12:20 PM

How would I do that? I have Verizon & D* but I don't understand what would be the impetus for them to reduce my monthly bill by $20 for a year? Can you elaborate?

I think he's talking about having your DTV bill on your Verizon account and a Verizon Freedom package. Call Verizon and ask about it.
(2) HR20-700S
(2) Sony KDL-40V2500 LCD (HDMI)
Samsung R145 DVD (HDMI)
Toshiba D-R5 DVD (HDMI)
Monster Power Center
Universal RF20 remote control

#9 OFFLINE   SG24

SG24

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 09:07 PM

I think he's talking about having your DTV bill on your Verizon account and a Verizon Freedom package. Call Verizon and ask about it.

And let us know if that works cuz I've tried a couple times and got the "for new customers only" bullstuff.
VT 4-16-07

#10 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 967 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 12:10 PM

yeah i tried that too, and both directv and verizon told me '' new customers only''.

#11 OFFLINE   ericpd

ericpd

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 02:33 PM

That's very much true, however, there's an added incentive to do it thru Verizon and NOT thru DirecTV. Verizon is now adding to their 'Tripple Play Freedom' package (land-line phone, 1.5 DSL, & the $49.00 TV package for $99.99) the ability to switch to FIOS when it becomes available in your area WITHOUT DirecTV pounding you with a ETF! I just signed up for it and was installed 05/05! It's not something they're advertising,... I had to ask to make certain it was real. It is! Now that ONLY covers switching from D* to FIOS if you're already a Triple Play subscribre!

Basically, they're just allowing Triple Play subs already using FIOS for phone & DSL, the ability to update the TV portion of their package from sat to FIOS without a ETF hit!

#12 OFFLINE   NYHeel

NYHeel

Godfather

• Registered
  • 304 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 12:02 PM

That's very much true, however, there's an added incentive to do it thru Verizon and NOT thru DirecTV. Verizon is now adding to their 'Tripple Play Freedom' package (land-line phone, 1.5 DSL, & the $49.00 TV package for $99.99) the ability to switch to FIOS when it becomes available in your area WITHOUT DirecTV pounding you with a ETF! I just signed up for it and was installed 05/05! It's not something they're advertising,... I had to ask to make certain it was real. It is! Now that ONLY covers switching from D* to FIOS if you're already a Triple Play subscribre!

Basically, they're just allowing Triple Play subs already using FIOS for phone & DSL, the ability to update the TV portion of their package from sat to FIOS without a ETF hit!

You can't possibly have FIOS and DSL at the same time. You can't have DSL over the fiber optic line. Perhaps you mean that you have the FIOS internet or maybe you don't have FIOS at all.

#13 OFFLINE   ericpd

ericpd

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 02:56 PM

You can't possibly have FIOS and DSL at the same time. You can't have DSL over the fiber optic line. Perhaps you mean that you have the FIOS internet or maybe you don't have FIOS at all.

You're right,... my mistake. I'm so used to saying DSL, I'm starting to use it generically when referring to high-speed internet connection. Sorta like expecting a Xerox copy from a Minolta! Sorry.

At the moment, I still have DSL and copper land-line phones. FIOS is to launch in my area in July, however, the first launch will be FIOS phone and internet service ONLY. We're suppose to have FIOS TV by year's end. But at any rate,... I'm suppose to be able to migrate to FIOS without any penalty from DirecTV, even if the launch is BEFORE the end of my current DirecTV contract. That was the point of the post. Sorry again for referring to FIOS internet as DSL!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...