Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Not sure how Dual Mode Works...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   curiousmike

curiousmike

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 04:12 PM

Go easy on me guys.
[ And i'll admit it: I didn't search for an answer. So bail now if that irks you. :D ]

I don't understand how dual mode works - more specifically, how I'm receiving TV in "the bedroom."

The installer ran two co-ax cables from the dish. The dish looks to have 3 LNB's. ( OK, I know what an LNB is. :lol: ]

The line that goes to our main TV and the 622 is run into a splitter... and both (short) cables that come out of the splitter go into the back of the 622. I assume this is for being able to tune to two different stations. (?)

Secondly, there's an small "antannae" on the back of the 622 (far left of machine, looking at it from behind). I don't know what this is for. (?)

The second coax running from the dish runs into our bedroom. We tune our bedroom TV to channel 70, and voila we get DISH in the bedroom.

My question is mainly... how does the bedroom TV "get reception" -- is the 622 pushing an output thru the single coax back up and over the dish? (?)

Is the little antannae just there for receving the RF remote? (?)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 04:50 PM

Welcome curiousmike, let's see if I can answer your questions.

The line that goes to our main TV and the 622 is run into a splitter... and both (short) cables that come out of the splitter go into the back of the 622. I assume this is for being able to tune to two different stations. (?)

Correct, this is to feed the 2 Satellite tuners in the 622.

Secondly, there's an small "antannae" on the back of the 622 (far left of machine, looking at it from behind). I don't know what this is for. (?)

This is the antenna for the UHF (TV2) remote that came with the 622 so you can change channels from other rooms in the house.

The second coax running from the dish runs into our bedroom. We tune our bedroom TV to channel 70, and voila we get DISH in the bedroom.

This is the modulated coax output that you can split and run to the other TV's in the house.

My question is mainly... how does the bedroom TV "get reception" -- is the 622 pushing an output thru the single coax back up and over the dish? (?)

The coax running out comes from an agile modulator that takes the TV1 and TV2 outputs running on channels that you define to the rest of your house. When running in single mode both channels show the same content, in dual mode they are independent. If you want to read more on this I believe there is a bunch of info in the manual, though I'm not positive. Haven't looked at it in quite a while.
Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

#3 OFFLINE   curiousmike

curiousmike

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 06:31 PM

Excellent. Thanks for the info!

#4 OFFLINE   djdavis75

djdavis75

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 06:43 PM

Are there two cables coming into the room where the 622 is from the outside, or just one?
Dish Network / WildBlue Tech

#5 OFFLINE   curiousmike

curiousmike

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 11:44 AM

Just one cable coming from outside to the 622. Right at the 622, it splits from the one cable into two via a... splitter. :)

#6 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 02:46 PM

Just one cable coming from outside to the 622. Right at the 622, it splits from the one cable into two via a... splitter. :)

Mike,

While that 'thing' looks like a splitter, it is actually a 'separator' that serves a very special purpose - it essentially lets the two satellite tuners in your 622 'see' the dish independently.

#7 OFFLINE   isuzudave

isuzudave

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 03:27 PM

Are you saying there is coax running from the dish (on the roof) into the bedroom, and there is no reciever in the bedroom?

#8 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 03:32 PM

Are you saying there is coax running from the dish (on the roof) into the bedroom, and there is no reciever in the bedroom?

Good catch, I didn't see that in the original post. I read that as the second coax coming out of the 622 not the Dish. That can't be the case, Maybe there are 2 cables going to the bedroom? One from the dish for a future 2nd receiver maybe? and the other being the coax output of the 622 in the other room, which is hooked to the TV? Curiousmike can you clarify?
Rob

#9 OFFLINE   curiousmike

curiousmike

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 06:40 PM

LOL.
I can't see what's going on at the dish, but what I see is:

Coax #1 runs from dish into living run, into "splitter" into 622.

Coax #2 runs from dish into bedroom, directly into our TV.

It seems impossible to me.

#10 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 10:26 AM

So, if I have this right, You only have 1 coax coming into your 622 that gets split via the separator to 2 cables that run into your Sat inputs on the 622. No other coax what so ever coming out of your 622? If this is the case there is no way you can be getting your 622 on channel 70 in the bedroom.

In order for you to have this working you have to have another coax coming out of the TV2 RF output on your 622 and that signal has to get to your bedroom, either by directly running that cable to the bedroom, joining it to existing coax running to that room, or using a pair of dixplexers to combine it's signal with your satellite cable signal and then separate it back out again in the bedroom. However, as far as I know there is no way you can use to dixplexer to join the signal to your satellite cable, running back up to your dish into your LNB and then back out a different cable to your bedroom. I'd suggest taking another look at the back of your 622 and tracing some of the cables to find out exactly what is going on.
Rob

#11 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 09:14 PM

So, if I have this right, You only have 1 coax coming into your 622 that gets split via the separator to 2 cables that run into your Sat inputs on the 622. No other coax what so ever coming out of your 622? If this is the case there is no way you can be getting your 622 on channel 70 in the bedroom.

In order for you to have this working you have to have another coax coming out of the TV2 RF output on your 622 and that signal has to get to your bedroom, either by directly running that cable to the bedroom, joining it to existing coax running to that room, or using a pair of dixplexers to combine it's signal with your satellite cable signal and then separate it back out again in the bedroom. However, as far as I know there is no way you can use to dixplexer to join the signal to your satellite cable, running back up to your dish into your LNB and then back out a different cable to your bedroom. I'd suggest taking another look at the back of your 622 and tracing some of the cables to find out exactly what is going on.

I have only one cable running to my receiver. The TV2 signal is combined with that cable using a diplexer back up to my attic where it splits into the distribution system.

#12 OFFLINE   TNVOL1111

TNVOL1111

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 07:44 AM

Lets say I want to have two kids bedrooms on the TV2 output from my 622. Right now I have the Diplexor in the basement hooked up to one TV2 output. I suppose I could put a simple Radio Shack splitter off of this Diplexor and run a RG6 cable to each bedroom right? Another way could be leaving the Diplexor alone, for one TV2 and then using the TV2 RG6 output on the back of the 622 for another TV2 output. Does this work?

#13 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:33 AM

... Does this work?

Either way will work.

#14 OFFLINE   isuzudave

isuzudave

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 10:37 AM

Lets say I want to have two kids bedrooms on the TV2 output from my 622. Right now I have the Diplexor in the basement hooked up to one TV2 output. I suppose I could put a simple Radio Shack splitter off of this Diplexor and run a RG6 cable to each bedroom right? Another way could be leaving the Diplexor alone, for one TV2 and then using the TV2 RG6 output on the back of the 622 for another TV2 output. Does this work?

As far as I know there is only one coax output on the back of the 622. It can be used to output TV1 and/or TV2. There are also RCA outputs for TV 2. The only reason you would need a set of diplexors is if you want to run the coax output of the 622 on a cable that already has a sat signal on it. If you can run coax from the 622 into both bedrooms all you need is a simple splitter. Also, you could run one TV2 from the coax and one from the RCA jacks if the distance for the RCA cable is not that long.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...