Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Slimline Installer sats 99 and 103...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
40 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bishoptf

bishoptf

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 12:13 PM

Ok I just upgrade to the hr20 and had the new slimline installed, kept having issues with the Hd locals stuttering/dropping. I then looked a the signal strength for the 99 and 103 sat's and it's pretty bad(i need to write them down). This is the first dish that I have not installed myself, I was with the installer and after looking at the installation procedures he didn't do a complete tuning sequence. The 110 and 119 signals are in the mid 90's but I beleive the KA is probably way off, my question is can I use the receiver to re-do the satillite tuning sequence. Solid signal has the steps but I don't have a inline signal meter. Thanks in advance.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 12:17 PM

I guess you could be it is going to be hard. You need to get 99 and 103 in the 90's or you will keep having problems. You may be better off having D* send a TECH out and not let them leave until it is correct.

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,849 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 12:27 PM

Do what BMoreRavens said or:
Setup a TV & the receiver where you can see them from the dish & use the signal strength "meter". It has been done this way before.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   bishoptf

bishoptf

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 01:24 PM

Do what BMoreRavens said or:
Setup a TV & the receiver where you can see them from the dish & use the signal strength "meter". It has been done this way before.

That is what I have done in the past, but was wondering if anyone had done this with the slimline, it states in the manual that " Use of a Directv receiver as a signal meter for antenna alignment is not an acceptable method for peaking the antenna"

While I understand this, I wouldn't be in this if the tech had done it correct, If I had a meter I could do this in 10-15min easy.

#5 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,997 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 09 May 2007 - 01:59 PM

It can be done with the receiver, but is much more difficult, as you do not simply peak the antenna on 101, but need to find the angles at which the signals drop by the same amount on either side of the peak and split the difference (i.e., determine the true center of the peak). Since this was a recent installation, call Directv and ask for installation support. They should send out another tech to realign the dish.

#6 OFFLINE   66stang351

66stang351

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 02:01 PM

That is what I have done in the past, but was wondering if anyone had done this with the slimline, it states in the manual that " Use of a Directv receiver as a signal meter for antenna alignment is not an acceptable method for peaking the antenna"

While I understand this, I wouldn't be in this if the tech had done it correct, If I had a meter I could do this in 10-15min easy.

Yes, I have done this with my slimline and have great signal. Also, remember that you will not have signal on all of the transponders on 99/103 just a few of them.

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,849 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 02:08 PM

It can be done with the receiver, but is much more difficult, as you do not simply peak the antenna on 101, but need to find the angles at which the signals drop by the same amount on either side of the peak and split the difference (i.e., determine the true center of the peak). Since this was a recent installation, call Directv and ask for installation support. They should send out another tech to realign the dish.

Plan B: select 103 & 99 and peak them, as this is what "centering on" 101 is trying to do.
The Ka beam is narrower than the Ku, so the 101 need to be centered to have the Ka strong. Checking or adjusting the Ka would have the same result.
The "instructions" were for both the H-20 & HR-20 & the HR-20 gives the Ka SATs while [to date] the software in the H20 doesn't show both Ka SATs.
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   ansky

ansky

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 02:12 PM

I've had troubles with 99/103 for a while. I've had 3 techs come out so far and the best signal i've been able to get on the 99 is around 83. All my other sats are in the mid to upper 90s. I'm in the NYC DMA where my local HDs are on the 99. As far as I can tell the 103 is not used for anything in the NYC DMA.

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,849 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 02:15 PM

I've had troubles with 99/103 for a while. I've had 3 techs come out so far and the best signal i've been able to get on the 99 is around 83. All my other sats are in the mid to upper 90s. I'm in the NYC DMA where my local HDs are on the 99. As far as I can tell the 103 is not used for anything in the NYC DMA.

You can check to see what is around you here: http://www.sizethis....otmap/index.php

This won't show power levels, but one of yours [as in yours] should be in the high 90s.
A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,997 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 02:35 PM

Plan B: select 103 & 99 and peak them, as this is what "centering on" 101 is trying to do.
The Ka beam is narrower than the Ku, so the 101 need to be centered to have the Ka strong. Checking or adjusting the Ka would have the same result.
The "instructions" were for both the H-20 & HR-20 & the HR-20 gives the Ka SATs while [to date] the software in the H20 doesn't show both Ka SATs.

That should work if the initial adjustment is close enough to get a reading on one of the sats (they should track close enough that only one needs to be peaked (the one with the strongest signal). Those with a H20 who are not close to a 103 spotbeam might have problems, however. The initial setting should be recorded so one can at least get back to the starting point in case of problems. I think the original software on the H20 I had displayed 99, but it went away after the initial update by the installer.

#11 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,849 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 02:43 PM

That should work if the initial adjustment is close enough to get a reading on one of the sats (they should track close enough that only one needs to be peaked (the one with the strongest signal). Those with a H20 who are not close to a 103 spotbeam might have problems, however. The initial setting should be recorded so one can at least get back to the starting point in case of problems. I think the original software on the H20 I had displayed 99, but it went away after the initial update by the installer.

The H20 SATs depend on which model, as the -600 sees one & the -100 sees the other.
A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   stogie5150

stogie5150

Godfather

• Registered
  • 343 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 04:17 PM

I just aimed mine yesterday. Tv and the reciever, out at the dish. If you take your time and follow the instructions you can most certainly do it. My HD locals are on the 103 and they went from 20 to around 90. it CAN be done. :D
Equipment:
Azbox Elite HD FTA receiver, 12 foot Paraclipse C/Ku-band dish.
Vantage 1100s HD FTA Receiver, 8.5 foot Birdview C/Ku dish.
Scanning the skies for FREE TV is my game. :-)

#13 OFFLINE   bishoptf

bishoptf

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 05:28 PM

Well I checked and here are my numbers:

transponder-signal level
103:1-51
2-95
3-62
4-97
5-59
6-94
17-0

99:1-21
2-10
3-71
4-0
5-25
6-0

If I look at just the satillite signal for the 99 it doesn't even lock....

#14 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,849 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 05:39 PM

I don't know what you mean by "lock"?
here is where you can check what SAT your locals come from: http://www.dbstalk.c...V_LIL_CITY.html

Your 103 levels look good.
From another thread: check & clean all of your connections as any [the least amount of] dirt can cause problems with the Ka-Hi band signals [as they are the highest frequency & therefore most affected].
A.K.A VOS

#15 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,997 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 05:52 PM

Those numbers for 103 don't look bad. I suspect that your locals come from that satellite (the listings at lyngsat.com don't show St. Louis). The 99 numbers may be reasonable as well, depending on where the nearest 99 spot is aimed.

#16 OFFLINE   ansky

ansky

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 05:55 PM

If I am getting a low signal from just one sat and the rest are high, how do you know which direction to move the dish without disrupting the other good signals?

#17 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,849 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 06:24 PM

If I am getting a low signal from just one sat and the rest are high, how do you know which direction to move the dish without disrupting the other good signals?

With the three or five SATs, you need to adjust three axises: elevation, azimuth, and tilt.
Getting all SATs is a combination of all of these, so you have to monitor the signals as you make adjustment to see which way you need to move the dish.
There is no: "if this is "X", then do "Y".
You need to focus on the center line SAT & then as you move off center use the tilt. This is about the best I can say for you.
A.K.A VOS

#18 OFFLINE   jal

jal

Icon

• Registered
  • 761 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 06:30 PM

There is a problem with the broadcast from these satellites at certain locations. Directv says this has been going on since the last week of April, and they are working on it. You should call them to see if your area is affected, because it may have nothing to do with your dish setup.

#19 OFFLINE   bishoptf

bishoptf

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 07:05 PM

I don't know what you mean by "lock"?
here is where you can check what SAT your locals come from: http://www.dbstalk.c...V_LIL_CITY.html

Your 103 levels look good.
From another thread: check & clean all of your connections as any [the least amount of] dirt can cause problems with the Ka-Hi band signals [as they are the highest frequency & therefore most affected].

What I mean is that if I try to look at just the sat signal for 99 I don't even get one, The question I have is where will the new Birds for D* come from, or when they roll out new HD channels on the new birds what orbital slot will they come from.

It appears that I get my HD locals from the 103 sat, but I think my number could be better, he didn't go through the setup that I have read to determine the true KA peak.

#20 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 07:10 PM

Well I checked and here are my numbers:

transponder-signal level
103:1-51
2-95
3-62
4-97
5-59
6-94
17-0

99:1-21
2-10
3-71
4-0
5-25
6-0

If I look at just the satillite signal for the 99 it doesn't even lock....

Those look fine. IMHO, any attempt to "improve" them will only make things worse.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

Protected By... spam firewall...And...