Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Missing one HD local in Orlando

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   b00stedeg

b00stedeg

Legend

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 12:42 PM

Hey guys, I've been reading the forum for a while now. I've had D* for about 6-7 years. I recently upgraded to an HDTV and called and upgraded my dish and box with an hr20. It was installed last Friday and everything seemed to be working fine but I noticed that one hd local would not work. WKMG ch 6 in hd just is gray when I put it on. It comes in fine with ota or in sd on d. I let it go for a few days thinking it would fix itself because the installer had some trouble getting the hd locals to come in at first but after calling tech support they showed up and he left so anyway, its been a week now and i'm still only getting a gray screen when I put it on. So last night I started fidling with it trying to see if i could fix it I attempted to dvr shows on ch 6 hd and to my surprise once recorded I could see them just as normal but sometimes I have to keep hitting pause rewind and play again to get it to come in, but if you tune in live to the ch its just a gray screen. Any idea on what this issue could be?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mattw

mattw

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 02:18 PM

I'm getting WKMG-DT both OTA and SAT and have noticed no issues with the reception. It does not seem to be related to the broadcast but I'm at a loss to explain why you would only see problems with one channel.

#3 OFFLINE   b00stedeg

b00stedeg

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 02:48 PM

Yeah it really is odd. I dont understand, I've had no issues with 2, 9, or 35 only 6. I guess I'll have to call and have someone come out

#4 OFFLINE   b00stedeg

b00stedeg

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 06:52 PM

Update on the situation... I called and after 30 mins or so of researching the subject I was scheduled to have a tech come out on Friday morning. Hopefully all goes well.

#5 OFFLINE   b00stedeg

b00stedeg

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 07:46 AM

So the tech came on Friday and informed me that I should just cancel my hd pack and save the ten dollars and watch the channels over the air. When I informed him I watched the satelite hd channels not avail over the air he told me the only reason my channel 6 in hd wasnt working was because the box must have a problem and it was because I had it hooked up with hdmi. He told me never to use hdmi because the boxes have an issue with it and they will burn out. He put in an order for another box to be sent to me but apparently they will send me a refurb. I'm kinda upset at this point since I just purchased this brand new hr20 a week ago and now i'm gonna have a refurb. The whole situation and service call are kinda frustrating. Any ideas on what I should do?

#6 OFFLINE   davef149

davef149

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 07:42 AM

I'm having a similar problem with my receiver, I lost my local ch. 3 HD. It was working until the last upgrade (which fixed my sound issue). I called D* and while on the phone they re-authorized my HD Locals and it came back on. As soon as I got off the phone, ch. 3 was gone again. I called back the next night, did a reset with the remote, RBR, and re-authorized again, and it came back on for about an hour.

Called again, they sent out a tech the next day, and of course it worked while he was there and now it's off again.

I found that if I go directly to the channel it will not work. If I use the channel up/down to get to it, SOMETIMES it will comein. I've also found that there are times when I get a frozen picture on channel 3 with audio, but, and get this, it's the video from my local FOX channel 10! This confirmed to me that it's the receiver and not a problem with ch. 3's broadcast.

I'll be calling D* back tomorrow.

#7 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,261 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 08:00 AM

I'm getting WKMG-DT both OTA and SAT and have noticed no issues with the reception. It does not seem to be related to the broadcast but I'm at a loss to explain why you would only see problems with one channel.

Same here. Everything is fine and I do use HDMI. I really doubt that using HDMI will burn out the HR20. Some boxes have had HDMI issues though.
And some people have had better luck with a refurb than with a new one but if you want a new one get on the phone with D* and insist that you recieve a new one.
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

#8 OFFLINE   Sean31

Sean31

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 11:19 AM

I just had an HR20 installed in Orlando yesterday and I am having the same problem, except for me it is channel 9 ABC-HD that won't come in. The installer was horrible and I am worried it may be a problem with the dish alignment.

Did you ever resolve this issue?

Do you know what satellite Orlando HD locals are broadcast on? I have a strong signal with the 103 satellite, but 99b is rather weak (in the 70s).

-Sean

#9 OFFLINE   bigbenny13

bigbenny13

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 03:11 PM

I can not imagine what HDMI has to do with channel reception. It seems that very few installers of cable or sat seem to have a clue about the equipment they install. Most seem to do an adequate job of running wires and dish aiming, but are compeltely clueless when it comes to the actual gear. I have been selling a/v gear and home theaters for more than 10 years and they never fail to disapoint me. I could make your head spin with stories of incompetence from cable guys alone.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...