Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20-700 HDMI Issues w/Panny

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sanfordperiod

sanfordperiod

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 10:55 AM

Hey Folks...I'm new here, so let me know if this is addressed in another thread...

I just got a HR20-700 installed on Saturday (finished 20 minutes before the fight!). During the installation, we attempted to get a picture using HDMI from the HR20 to my Panny. We tried two different cables (one I bought with the display, one that came with the HR20) with the same result - no signal to my display.

I have a 42" HD Panny (TH-42PH9UK) with a HDMI 8 Series Board (compatible with the 9-series displays). I tested the board and I'm certain the display is properly detecting the board (I moved it to different slots on the TV and also on inserted it into my old Panny 6 series display).

The installer indicated that there was a problem with HDMI btwn HR20's and some brands of TVs...he specifically mentioned Samsung (he conversely indicated no problem with Sony).

My picture works fine over component.

Is this a known issue w/Pannys? Related to HDMI version compatibility or does my box need a software upgrade to correct the issue?

Not sure what to do at this point. I upgraded to get the best pic and hate to sit around thinking that I went through all that trouble for the second best option (component).

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,662 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 11:02 AM

I've got two Panny 42" ED's HDMI-connected to -700s with no issues. They're the consumer models (PD50u and PD60u), however, not the commercial model, like yours. I would think the HDMI circuitry is comparable, tho. /s
/steve

#3 OFFLINE   jmschnur

jmschnur

Icon

• Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 11:04 AM

My 60U panny works fine as well with HDMI and the HR20.
Joel
[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="1"][B]
ce 0x0431 HDMI 1080P Pioneer Kuro 60" plasma 151
{CE 0x0481 - HDMI 1080p - Sharp 32" 1080P LCD
2 HR20-100 DVRs
Integra DHC 80.2, HDMI throughout.
Home network mixed vista, windows 7
Slimeline 5; Vista,,7 ; wired and wireless; Verizon Fios internet, Netgear 3700 router, infinity/buffalo n ethernet converters
Integra DHC 80.2

#4 OFFLINE   Scott J

Scott J

Legend

• Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 11:07 AM

Welcome sanfordperiod!!

I have the same set up as you and don't have any issues today. If I recall, I first needed to connect to the HR20 with component and then unplug/replug the HDMI in order for the HR20 and Panny to connect and rebooting may have been involved as well. You may have tried this already, but there was a "trick" to get the connection working. I'm sure someone else will chime in shortly.

#5 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,662 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 11:15 AM

Found this here: http://www.bruzzifor...thread.php?t=71

2) No Picture After Installing HDMI Boards ( 7UY/8UK/9UK Commercial Displays )

You must unplug the power cable before installing HDMI Board(s) or sometimes they might not be recognized by the Display.

If you already installed the Board(s) and got no picture, unplug the power cable for several minutes then plug it back to the outlet.

If the above doesn't work, remove the HDMI Board(s) and unplug the power cable. Then re-install the Board(s) and plug the power cable back to the outlet.

Make sure to select the input (by pressing the {INPUT} button on remote or display) where you installed the HDMI Board(s).

And make sure to select HDMI output on the DVD Player and/or other sources connected to the Plasma.

/steve
/steve

#6 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 11:17 AM

Bruzzi is a demigod over at avsforum.com. :)

I have no HDMI problems with my Panasonic TH-58PX60U (see sig line).
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#7 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,662 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 11:20 AM

Bruzzi is a demigod over at avsforum.com. :)

Really good guy, too. Bends over backwards to be helpful. /s
/steve

#8 OFFLINE   garskjt15

garskjt15

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 11:22 AM

i also have a 42 inch Panny and HDMI was working a OK for 4+ months until
this past Sunday I watching the TV and all of a sudden; black screen.
After numerous reboots and unplugging it still wont recognize the HDMI connection. Components are working fine though, but I think the picture quality
is better with HDMI. I've read on other forums of people having problems with
the latest software release and the HDMI connection, but for mine to be working
fine with this release(145) for over a month and then all of a sudden go black.
WTF?
I feel your pain.
Hopefully it will be fixed with the next update.

#9 OFFLINE   wolfonthehill

wolfonthehill

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 11:39 AM

I have a 50-inch version of your set (50PH9UK) - I use HDMI cables to go from the HR20 to a Yamaha to the Panny, and it works flawlessly.

#10 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,954 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 10 May 2007 - 11:41 AM

Another chime in: the HR20 drives my TH-50PX600U over HDMI just fine as well.

Do you have another HDMI source to check?

OT aside: I don't see any resolution or clarity difference between HDMI and component, but the colors are different. This is really noticeable in the HR20 boot screens...over component the background has a greenish cast, making it look distinctly blue-green, versus an almost pure blue via HDMI. Not sure which is "correct", but they ARE different.

#11 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,662 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 11:48 AM

Another chime in: the HR20 drives my TH-50PX600U over HDMI just fine as well.

Do you have another HDMI source to check?

OT aside: I don't see any resolution or clarity difference between HDMI and component, but the colors are different. This is really noticeable in the HR20 boot screens...over component the background has a greenish cast, making it look distinctly blue-green, versus an almost pure blue via HDMI. Not sure which is "correct", but they ARE different.

Does your Panny have a separate picture memory for each input? Might want to check and see if color temp or autocolor are the same for each. I can't easily test it on my Panny's... only one connection to each in place right now. My Fujitsu has a separate picture memory for each input, tho. I'll be yours does too. So you can tweak your DVD settings differently than your HR20, e.g. /s
/steve

#12 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,954 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 10 May 2007 - 11:56 AM

Yes, the Panny does have seperate input memory, but I'm pretty sure that I had them set the same. I don't have the component setup at the moment (got a new base and simplified all the wiring), so I can't check. No biggy anyway, and I don't want to hijack the thread into a component vs. HDMI discussion.

#13 OFFLINE   BirdyMaker

BirdyMaker

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 09:26 AM

I have a Panny 6U(the Costco version of the 60) and the hdmi connection on mine looks like crap. I tried my HDMI DVD player with the same cable as the HR20and it looks fine so I know the cable is OK. I currently have the HR20 connected via component and it looks good. As soon as I switch back to the HDMI connection the picture looks very bad.

Any ideas?

#14 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,662 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 09:39 AM

I have a Panny 6U(the Costco version of the 60) and the hdmi connection on mine looks like crap. I tried my HDMI DVD player with the same cable as the HR20and it looks fine so I know the cable is OK. I currently have the HR20 connected via component and it looks good. As soon as I switch back to the HDMI connection the picture looks very bad.

Any ideas?

We might be able to help you more if you provided more details on what's wrong with the picture. It might just be that you need to recalibrate your picture settings for the HR20 on the HDMI input. If you record the HDNet test pattern on Sunday morning at 6:50 AM EDT, you will find it helpful to ensure your brightness, contrast, color temp, sharpness, etc. are set properly.

/steve
/steve

#15 OFFLINE   BirdyMaker

BirdyMaker

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:58 AM

We might be able to help you more if you provided more details on what's wrong with the picture. It might just be that you need to recalibrate your picture settings for the HR20 on the HDMI input. If you record the HDNet test pattern on Sunday morning at 6:50 AM EDT, you will find it helpful to ensure your brightness, contrast, color temp, sharpness, etc. are set properly.

/steve

Steve,
I tried to hook up the HDMI conenction last night and it all worked great. The picture quality is as ggod if not better than the component conecntion I was using. I have no idea why it looked bad before. I will take your idea about recording the test pattern and check out my color settings.

If you want to know what the bad picture looked like it was like this........The HD picture looked a lot like a blurry SD picture and the SD picture was so distorted it was hard to tell what was on the screen. Still have no idea why it did that and now it looks fine.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...