Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Tuner trouble??? Arghhhhh

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JFHughes08088

JFHughes08088

Godfather

• Registered
  • 295 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 05:57 AM

2 daya ago, is becan having trouble receiving network HD channels. SD was fine, HD channels in the 70's are fine and HBO HD is also fine. Trying to watch network HD (CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox) gave me a balnk screeen with a message that it was searching for a signal (771). System tests come back normal for signal strength on transponders with one exception. Within the system test, tuner one displays "OK, aquired at 87%" Tuner 2 says "OK, aquired at 24%". Swithcing the lines into tuners 1 and 2 gave the same result. If it ws a bad filter or line trouble, I would have expected the reverse results. This leads me to beleive tuner 2 is on its way out. If someone is home this morning, can you test tuner signal aquisition and tell me your readings?D* technician was out yesterday and unable to resolve the trouble. Called D* and they are sending a new box ( it will be my 3rd in 4 months).

Update - I just did another system test and Tuner 1 now says 0 %, tuner 2 is ast 97%. WTF.
HD DVR HR20-700, connected via HDMI to:
Hitachi 65F59A. Optical audio for HT.
H20 connected via component to:
Hitachi 53UDX10B
Panasonic PVR DMR-ES10
Technics SA-DX950
5.1 surround. Front channel = Linaeum dipole ribbon tweeters
Powered Sub
Technics SL-MC3 60 disk CD
Harmony 880 Remote (2)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   CTuser

CTuser

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 06:17 AM

For Hah, Hah's trying switching the cable inputs and see if the reverse happens. This might rule out the tuner and you can focus on the connections/cables. I actually had a connector pin rust out on one of my outdoor cables at the grounding block.

#3 OFFLINE   JFHughes08088

JFHughes08088

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 295 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 06:40 AM

Yeah, we tried that when the Tech was here. Same problem. The issue did not switch to the other tuner. Singal strength read fine off the dish, into the house and after the line filters.

Wierd thing was we got it working fine when he was here and last night. Then this morning, same problem. D* is sending a new box for a tomorrow delivery. Now I just have to figure a way to off-load the programming I have recorded to the new box but I don't think it can be done.
If someone is rreading this at home, can they tell me what the reading are on their 2 tuners? Are they near the same %?
Hitachi 53UDX10B
Panasonic PVR DMR-ES10
Technics SA-DX950
Powered Sub
Harmony 880 Remote (2)

#4 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 06:47 AM

Yeah, we tried that when the Tech was here. Same problem. The issue did not switch to the other tuner. Singal strength read fine off the dish, into the house and after the line filters.

Wierd thing was we got it working fine when he was here and last night. Then this morning, same problem. D* is sending a new box for a tomorrow delivery. Now I just have to figure a way to off-load the programming I have recorded to the new box but I don't think it can be done.
If someone is rreading this at home, can they tell me what the reading are on their 2 tuners? Are they near the same %?

You can not transfer the recordings from one unit to another.

My reading are all the same except I think one transpoder is 1% different. One is like 97 and the other is like 96. I don't remember what one it is and I am at work so I can't check.

#5 OFFLINE   JFHughes08088

JFHughes08088

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 295 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 06:54 AM

No, not transponder readings. Go into menu, help and settings, setup, info $ Test. Tab over to System Test and select "Run Test". You will get tuner readings
Hitachi 53UDX10B
Panasonic PVR DMR-ES10
Technics SA-DX950
Powered Sub
Harmony 880 Remote (2)

#6 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 06:56 AM

No, not transponder readings. Go into menu, help and settings, setup, info $ Test. Tab over to System Test and select "Run Test". You will get tuner readings

Sorry miss read your post. Like I said I am at work so I can't do it right now but I will do it later.

#7 OFFLINE   CobraGuy

CobraGuy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 255 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 08:09 AM

I just went through the same problem. Lost tuner 2. D* sent me out a new unit. But while waiting for it to show up, I played around with reboots, etc and finally got it back! It's been perfect since. I'm sending back the new box.

#8 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 10:55 AM

I just went through the same problem. Lost tuner 2. D* sent me out a new unit. But while waiting for it to show up, I played around with reboots, etc and finally got it back! It's been perfect since. I'm sending back the new box.

How exactly did you get it back? I currently have a dead tuner, and would love to solve the issue as opposed to replacing the unit...again. So far, all I have done is a few RBR's, and that solves the porobelm temporarily.

#9 OFFLINE   i49mobile

i49mobile

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 11:57 AM

My OTA tuner 1 is about 1/3 weaker than OTA tuner 2. I have put a Channel Master 7777 on the OTA cable, but I think now it maybe to strong. Rebooting has not helped me. should it.

#10 OFFLINE   JFHughes08088

JFHughes08088

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 295 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 06:38 AM

Wierd. Now I'm getting intermittent tuner strength readings on either tuner. Arghhhh. D* sent me a new (refurbished) hr20. I'll hook it up today and see if it is any better
Hitachi 53UDX10B
Panasonic PVR DMR-ES10
Technics SA-DX950
Powered Sub
Harmony 880 Remote (2)

#11 OFFLINE   w6fxj

w6fxj

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 311 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:36 AM

JF - If you have the same probklems with the replacement HR20 you may have problems with the dish Ka-band pointing or a problem with the Ka-band part of the dish. Dish alignment is done on Ku-band, not Ka-band. If you are not getting signal strengths in the 80 to 100 range on the 99° or 103° satellites on both tuners, there is a problem with the dish or it's pointing to the much narrower beamwidth Ka-band.

#12 OFFLINE   scottp461

scottp461

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:21 AM

I also had tuner 2 start to act strangely just hours after installing it, it was OK during guided setup. Transponder 26 on 119 and transponder 12 on 110 both went dead, "0" signal strength. Also, a spot beam that I'm on the edge of, transponder 29 on 119, (that usually reads "50" or so) is reading "95" on tuner 2. Other transponders on 110 and 119 are there, but in many cases their signal strength is noticeably different than on tuner 1; sometimes weaker, sometimes stronger. There is no problem with 101.

I had a tier 2 CSR on the phone, finishing up the activation, when HDNet just froze. Went through the normal reboots/cable swapping, etc. and the situation never changed. We both agreed that there is something wrong with tuner 2. I also checked the transponders on 2 HR10's and a HDVR2, that are hooked up to the same multi-switch, and they are all normal. The same as tuner 1 on the HR20. I am doing a heat test now (unplugged the HR20 when I left for work, will re-power it and check status when I get home).

A new (refurbished) HR20 is on the way, but I made sure that I got a HR20-100 originally and now that's out the window. We'll see what happens when the new one arrives. The defective unit was manufactured in Mexico in March 2007, but I don't remember what day exactly.

Also, I still have a 3 LNB dish that is aligned perfectly. I upgraded to a Zinwell WB68 multi-switch when I added the HR20 to my system in preparation for a 5 LNB install.

Everything is working perfectly except tuner 2 on the HR20.

spam firewall