Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

FSN Inclusion in Basic Packages? - AND - Local HD / QAM Question

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kwest2

kwest2

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 11:59 AM

Hi guys,

I'm a newbie and have been surfing around but couldn't find an answer to my questions.

Topic 1: FSN Stations

I could not find on D* website anything regarding their inclusion in their packages. I see that you can get all FSN regional stations in the Sports package, but I saw no information on whether the local FSN Regional Station was part of the basic package (such as Choice or Choice Extra). So is the local FSN regional station included, or can I get FSN only through the sports package?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Topic 2: Local HD Stations

(EDIT- did some more searching and it appears QAM is applicable for cable only, not satellite. Sorry for my newbness. Please ignore Topic 2 unless I'm wrong re: QAM)

Assuming I get HD feed here in Boston, and since I have a QAM tuner on my HDTV, I have the following questions:

1) Must I still buy HD Access @ $10/mo to see local stations (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX) in HD?
If yes, 2) Will I require any additional equipment, notably an extra antenna?
If yes, 3) If I need an antenna, can I hook that directly to my TV or do I also need the HD Box from D*?

Thanks so much, all!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 12:09 PM

Hi guys,

I'm a newbie and have been surfing around but couldn't find an answer to my questions.

Topic 1: FSN Stations

I could not find on D* website anything regarding their inclusion in their packages. I see that you can get all FSN regional stations in the Sports package, but I saw no information on whether the local FSN Regional Station was part of the basic package (such as Choice or Choice Extra). So is the local FSN regional station included, or can I get FSN only through the sports package?

Your local FSN is always included in your basic package. Put your zip code here to see exactly which ones: http://www.directv.c...ssetId=P3000004

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Topic 2: Local HD Stations

(EDIT- did some more searching and it appears QAM is applicable for cable only, not satellite. Sorry for my newbness. Please ignore Topic 2 unless I'm wrong re: QAM)

Assuming I get HD feed here in Boston, and since I have a QAM tuner on my HDTV, I have the following questions:

1) Must I still buy HD Access @ $10/mo to see local stations (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX) in HD?
If yes, 2) Will I require any additional equipment, notably an extra antenna?
If yes, 3) If I need an antenna, can I hook that directly to my TV or do I also need the HD Box from D*?

Yep, you are definitely confused. ;) An antenna has nothing to do with getting any station off the satellite. With DirecTV you always have a receiver to decode the channels. Since HD locals in Boston come in off the satellite then it will be on your receiver like all your other channels.

You can get them via antenna OTA as well. Then of course you'd need an antenna. The HR20 for example will integrate in OTA with the satellite channels. You can also plug an antenna directly into your TV, assuming it has an OTA tuner in it. QAM is cable only.

#3 OFFLINE   kwest2

kwest2

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 02:21 PM

Thanks a lot, Scott!!!

#4 OFFLINE   beavis

beavis

Icon

• Registered
  • 528 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 02:50 PM

You'll have to buy the HD Access package to get ANY HD. Locals, RSN's, etc. etc.

#5 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 02:56 PM

You'll have to buy the HD Access package to get ANY HD. Locals, RSN's, etc. etc.

Sorry I didn't mention that myself. Since the HD Access fee isn't an option anymore it doesn't really matter. If you activate any HD receiver you automatically have to pay for the HD Access fee. With this you are then authorized for any HD version of a channel in whatever package you have.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...