Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OTA antenna placement

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   aquafuzz

aquafuzz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 02:11 PM

Ive got a full sized antenna and its placed in the attic and I pull in local channels via my tv but when run through my HR20 I get the 771 screen. The tv will acquire SD and HD signals but the HR20 will not. Is this something with the HR20 software?

Im in the Charleston SC area, how do I find out the best compass degree to set the antenna at?

Heres my set up:

Philips 43" Plasma
HR20-700
5LNB dish and a small duel LNB dish for local SD channels
HR20-700 cabled to WRT54GS
H21-200
HR21-700 wirelessly to WGA54G
Time Warner High Speed
CID/CW

#2 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 02:19 PM

go to ANTENNAWEB.ORG it will tell you where to point the antenna.

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,595 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 11 May 2007 - 02:20 PM

Did you go through the setup again?

If you're simply moving the OTA cable from the TV to the HR20 and you've gone through the setup, I'd be suspicious that the HR20 has a bad OTA tuner.

I'm assuming that both HR20 satellite cables are connected directly to a WB68 at all times.

How is the dual LNB dish connected into the setup?

One final bit of silliness: do you have the BBCs installed?

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,733 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 02:36 PM

Ive got a full sized antenna and its placed in the attic and I pull in local channels via my tv but when run through my HR20 I get the 771 screen. The tv will acquire SD and HD signals but the HR20 will not. Is this something with the HR20 software?

Im in the Charleston SC area, how do I find out the best compass degree to set the antenna at?

Heres my set up:

Philips 43" Plasma
HR20-700
5LNB dish and a small duel LNB dish for local SD channels

As posted www.antennaweb.org will "point" you in the right direction.
When you say "SD" channels, are you meaning old analog channels? The HR-20 doesn't have a NTSC tuner so only channels listed in the guide after your OTA setup, will come in [the ones X-1, 2 etc.]
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,733 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 02:36 PM

For OTA? :confused:
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,595 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 11 May 2007 - 02:48 PM

For OTA? :confused:

Due to the unimaginable relationship between satellite and OTA reception, I'm leaving no stone unturned. The other method of dozens of posts back and forth works too, but it can take a long time.

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,733 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 02:59 PM

Due to the unimaginable relationship between satellite and OTA reception, I'm leaving no stone unturned. The other method of dozens of posts back and forth works too, but it can take a long time.

Another one of those...I never thought of it...:)
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   aquafuzz

aquafuzz

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 07:21 PM

Yes, several times.

If you're simply moving the OTA cable from the TV to the HR20 and you've gone through the setup, I'd be suspicious that the HR20 has a bad OTA tuner.
Thats what Im doing, from the TV Ant. in to the HR20 Ant. in.

I'm assuming that both HR20 satellite cables are connected directly to a WB68 at all times.
I asume that a WB68 is a multiswitch?

Via the WB68.

Yes on both Sat. in cables.

Thanks
HR20-700 cabled to WRT54GS
H21-200
HR21-700 wirelessly to WGA54G
Time Warner High Speed
CID/CW

#9 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 01:55 PM

Yes, several times.

Thats what I'm doing, from the TV Ant. in to the HR20 Ant. in.

I assume that a WB68 is a multiswitch?

Via the WB68.

Yes on both Sat. in cables.

You have multipath.

The HR20 is great with OTA provide it does not have reflected signals hitting it. Putting the antenna in the attic is bad for two reasons. First it reduces the signal. Second (and worse), it it like being in a cave with such bad echos you can't hear anything.

Step one is to get out of the cave.

For a list of other ideas, check this out:

Dozens of Great HD Channels are Just Waiting for You

also:

Adding More HD Channels to Your HR20

In particular avoid using antennaweb. They often show half or fewer of the channels you will really get. For me, they say I could get at most 1 HD channel. Even in Chicago, they only think there are 12 channels. I got 27 after help from this site:

HDTV Magazine

To really be able to help you we need to know what zip code you are in.

- Craig

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,733 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 02:20 PM

HDTV Magazine - Craig

Craig, how do you use this site?
I don't see anything but a listing of network channels. I don't see the detail that I get in reference to mountains etc. for my area that I do at www.antennaweb.org with my zip code.
In my area the topography has a lot to do with what I can or can't get, so I find [so far] it to work better than what I see with HDTV Mag. Is there something I'm not doing when I go to that site?
A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 08:40 PM

Craig, how do you use this site?

Go to hdtvmagazine . Click Subscribe and subscribe.
Go back to the first page and click your market.
You will get a great customized Google map showing your house and all of your channels. Click Hybrid or Satellite to see great areal photos for most urban areas. Click Print to get a perfect spreadsheet.

Unlike antennaweb, hdtvmagazine will disclose all channels in your market. Plus antennaweb lacks the areal photos.

Click 60601 for downtown Chicago and hdtvmagazine correctly lists 29 digital channels. At 57 miles out, I can get 27 of them.

antennaweb lists one! One digital channel! Try it yourself. ONE digital channel! What is funny is that it is the single hardest channel in Chicago, 2.1 WBBM! Some people a few miles from their tower can't get WBBM.

I have helped dozens of people with OTA. antennaweb is so bad every time. In every market around the US I have tried so far.

Would several of you try hdtvmagazine and antennaweb to compare your results to what is possible ?

- Craig

#12 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,733 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:08 PM

AHHH...that's the difference. I'm not a big subscriber, so I never got that far.
Antennaweb doesn't have connections to: http://www.terraserv....com/?KeohiHDTV
which is one of my sites.
A.K.A VOS

#13 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:27 PM

Antennaweb has been very good for my area to see what chanels I can get.. however as far as how to aim your antenna it is only a guide.. It will give you a direction but all final aiming should be done with the HR20 signal meters.. I have 2 channels here that are almost due south but recieve best with antenna pointed west.. this is problably because of multipath and the 'altered' direction helps to cancel out the multipath problem..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

spam firewall