Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Please Record "Test Pattern" Tonight

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   leww37334

leww37334

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 08:10 AM

You nailed it, milo*, 4:20 on my 10 times 6 sec skip. I agree I probably would not have noticed it, if you hadn't pointed it out, but it seems like such a simple thing to fix, I guess D* still has bigger fish to fry and hasn't gotten around to it. PS I am at 015A,will change signature soon.
“Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone.” - Ayn Rand

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 13 May 2007 - 08:40 AM

Be great if we could find a way to measure MPEG-4 performance.

Anyone know of any MPEG-4 shows with a comparable on-screen countdown or MM:SS clock we can all record?

Something with a lot of moving content would be better, if possible. I don't believe the compression/decompression going on with the HDNet pattern represents a sufficient challenge to the HR20. It's a best-case scenario, IMO. /s

Honestly, your best bet right now might be to record one of the NBA games if it is local. Unfortunately, there are a lot of start/stops which might make it tough to get useful information, though.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#23 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,228 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 13 May 2007 - 11:46 AM

I recorded the test pattern this morning on both my HR20's. I've got a test pattern on one of them from an earlier recording also, which I posted the test results from already.

I repeated the tests on both of my HR20's using this morning's test pattern, and the results were exactly the same. One HR20 is running the national release, the other is running the current CE.

The test pattern however started about two minutes late, and cuts off with about two minutes remaining. This happened on both HR20's also, so either HDN was off, or the timing for the HR20's was off - not sure which.

Carl

#24 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,687 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 13 May 2007 - 04:58 PM

10 Advances From 9:59 while paused consistently moves to 4:19

20 Replays from 6:00 consistently moves to 8:03.

This is consistent with what I got.

#25 OFFLINE   Scott J

Scott J

Legend

• Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 05:16 PM

The trick-play or cruise controls, whatever you call it, HAS TO GET BETTER on this machine. Whenever I use my Tivo I think, why can't the HR20 trick-play be half as good. I understand the patent issue, but I would say that most DVRs out there perform better in this area.

#26 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 05:28 PM

I had a little better performance than you, Milo:

Ten 30second slips took 5:40, for an average of 34 seconds per slip, just as you had.

Twenty replays took exactly 120 seconds, for the average of six seconds per slip, just as advertised.

This is an excellent test for all DBSTalkers - well done of course.

At least I never saw :pinkie:
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#27 OFFLINE   Coffey77

Coffey77

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:17 PM

I also got the 10 Slips to get to 4:19.
- Andy
My Setup - (Computer Setup Included)
HR20-700 - / - / H20-100 -
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE<-- to DBSTalk.com and become a DBSTalk Club Member!

#28 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,660 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 06:26 AM

This is an excellent test for all DBSTalkers - well done of course.

It's a test, but I'm not sure how valuable it is. As I mentioned in previous post, this is not representative of real worls content. It's MPEG-2 compression of static material. Bound to be consistent.

Real world results with MPEG-4 and moving content are wildly inconsistent.

Speaking for myself, I do not want to give D* the impression that I am pleased with "cruise control" performance. Every time I press FF or Replay, it's a crapshoot as to what's going to happen. /s
/steve

#29 OFFLINE   Coffey77

Coffey77

• Registered
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:24 AM

This test has nothing to do with MPEG4 or 2 performance. This is purely for trickplay features and what they should be. This is a great test for that as the time code on it doesn't vary.
- Andy

#30 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,660 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:47 AM

This test has nothing to do with MPEG4 or 2 performance. This is purely for trickplay features and what they should be. This is a great test for that as the time code on it doesn't vary.

Agree, it's what they should be if all we watched were test patterns! I guess that's the point I was trying to get across. I probably didn't make it very well. My bad. /s
/steve

#31 OFFLINE   Coffey77

Coffey77

• Registered
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 12:49 PM

I guess I'm still not getting what your trying to say. All that is being compared here is the timing of how the Trickplay features work. The only reason we're using this Test Pattern is to see the time stamp on the bottom to see how much time elapses during the tests. Milo is trying gather information outside of his own to prove his theory's are correct and it's not just his box that performs this way.

We are not watching the Test Pattern to discuss the quality of MPEG2/MPEG4. If you're saying that MPEG4 channels operate differently with Trickplay features then please post your findings here and we can start a test on that idea. I sometimes think there is a difference myself. :)
- Andy

#32 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,660 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 01:40 PM

I guess I'm still not getting what your trying to say. All that is being compared here is the timing of how the Trickplay features work.[...]

Yup. I'm not at all impugning the validity of Craig's test. All I'm trying to say (and badly, I'm afraid :grin: ) is that the test is only showing how the Trickplay features work for that particular MPEG-2 recording, which I do not believe represents "real world" trick play performance. I'll go out on a limb here and guess that 50% of what users record on their HR20's are MPEG-4 network shows and/or their MPEG-4 RSNs.

If you're saying that MPEG4 channels operate differently with Trickplay features then please post your findings here and we can start a test on that idea. I sometimes think there is a difference myself. :)

Me too. As has been noted by several in various threads (and me in post #5 of this thread), MPEG-4 trick play is very erratic. That's why I asked in this thread's post #20 yesterday morning if someone knew of an MPEG-4 show with an HH:MM second clock that we could all record and run a similar comparison to the HDNet test pattern timing. Doug suggested an NBA game.

My MPEG-4 experience is as follows: 6 second replays sometimes freeze and sometimes do nothing unless clicked more than once. With 0158, sometimes you can stack Replays, and sometimes you can't. 6 presses of 30 second skip will often leave you way short or take you way past a 3 minute block of commercials. I believe it has to do with the Tandberg MPEG-4 encoders that D* uses not creating enough "iframes", which are key frames the HR20 needs to latch onto in order to make trick play work smoothly.

I'm not sure if this is related to the problem as well, but it may be. Unwatched MPEG-4 recordings often aren't cued properly to the start of the recording. Press "play" from the list, and they often start 15 seconds into the recording, and a RW is required to find the true start of the recording. Drives me nuts! :) /s
/steve

Protected By... spam firewall...And...