Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How many lines needed from satelite

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sortsol

sortsol

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 08:51 AM

I know, this is a dumb question. I have standard directv with a few enhanced tivo machines. I just purchased a new HDTV and want to upgrade to high definition. My problem is I only have 2 lines coming in from the satelite with really no way to run new lines (my insulation is blown into my walls).

Can I install the high definition receiver with only 2 lines coming in from the satelite or do I need 4? I'm assuming I'll need the 5 lbn dish.

Thanks,

Mike

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 08:54 AM

I know, this is a dumb question. I have standard directv with a few enhanced tivo machines. I just purchased a new HDTV and want to upgrade to high definition. My problem is I only have 2 lines coming in from the satelite with really no way to run new lines (my insulation is blown into my walls).

Can I install the high definition receiver with only 2 lines coming in from the satelite or do I need 4? I'm assuming I'll need the 5 lbn dish.

Thanks,

Mike

:welcome_s to DBStalk

If you would like to use both tuners you need to have two lines hooked up to the HDDVR. So you will be fine with what you have now but you will not be able to hook up the TiVo.

#3 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:00 AM

Are these two exiting lines going to the same location in your house?
DBSTalk Chat Room Mod (I reserve the right to be wrong.)

AT9 to SWM16
LR: HR24-100 to Panasonic 50" w/ Sony HTIB/FR: HR20-700 to Samsung LN55B640
Office: HR34-700 to Panasonic 50" w/ HD-A2
Office: H21-200 to 36" SD TV/BR: HR21-200 to Samsung 32" LCD
My full setup in Visio: http://www.dbstalk.c...8&postcount=105

#4 OFFLINE   sortsol

sortsol

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:01 AM

:welcome_s to DBStalk

If you would like to use both tuners you need to have two lines hooked up to the HDDVR. So you will be fine with what you have now but you will not be able to hook up the TiVo.

Thanks for the quick response. So, can I run the hr20 and my tivos with only 2 lines coming from the satelite to the multi-switch?

#5 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:03 AM

No. You have to have 4 lines going to the multi-switch.

#6 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:06 AM

Also to be able to use both tuners on each unit you will need 2 lines to each. They will work with only 1 line but you will only be able to use 1 tuner.

#7 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:06 AM

To get the most out of your system, you should have the 5-LNB dish w/ the four cables coming from that dish and into at least a 6x8 switch (WB68). It sounds like you are coming up short on all the above items.
How many recievers do want to connect? Or should I say how many total tuners are you wanting to use from all of your receivers?

AT9 to SWM16

#8 OFFLINE   sortsol

sortsol

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:18 AM

To get the most out of youe system, you should have the 5-LNB dish w/ the four cables coming from that dish and into at least a 6x8 switch (WB68). It sounds like you are coming up short on all the above items.
How many recievers do want to connect? Or should I say how many total tuners are you wanting to use from all of your receivers?

I'm looking at 1 hd dvr and 2-3 directivos. I have the possibility to have 2 more lines installed. Just not sure the wife will like the looks of it :-). Is HD worth it?

#9 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:19 AM

At a minumum the HD is two tuners and 2 DirecTivo is 4 tuners for a total of 6. You need a switch.

Yes, HD is worth it. ;-)

AT9 to SWM16

#10 OFFLINE   sortsol

sortsol

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:20 AM

Yes, HD is worth it.

That's what I was afraid of :-(

#11 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:24 AM

Thanks,

Mike

You definably need the 5 lnb dish which will have 4 lines coming from it into your Zinwell 6x8 switch and from there you'll have 8 outputs.

#12 OFFLINE   sortsol

sortsol

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:31 AM

You definably need the 5 lnb dish which will have 4 lines coming from it into your Zinwell 6x8 switch and from there you'll have 8 outputs.

Will the include the Zinwell switch in the install or do I have to purchase that separately?

#13 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:33 AM

Will the include the Zinwell switch in the install or do I have to purchase that separately?

Yes. Just make sure Directv puts it on the work order.

#14 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:36 AM

Everything you need is included in the free install. What isn't covered is if you need cables fished thru the walls or something. You'll get charge for that per the installer.

When it comes to cabling, the more you can do yourself the better. Then the installer can just hook it all up and you're good to go.

#15 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:46 AM

Everything you need is included in the free install. What isn't covered is if you need cables fished thru the walls or something. You'll get charge for that per the installer.

When it comes to cabling, the more you can do yourself the better. Then the installer can just hook it all up and you're good to go.

I seem to find myself adding...
If you can rough in the cables where you want them, then the installer can installer the right connectors and you're set.
A.K.A VOS

#16 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:52 AM

Those must be some mighty long lines to reach all the way from the satellite :D

j/k ;) -- What the folks above have suggested will work well. :)
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#17 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 12:35 PM

Check out the Installation Tips for this and a lot more. If you follow the tips it can make all the difference.

- Craig

#18 OFFLINE   sortsol

sortsol

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 11:08 PM

Check out the Installation Tips for this and a lot more. If you follow the tips it can make all the difference.

- Craig

Ok, so if I knock out a wall and a window (not literally), I can get another couple of lines in the house for a total of 4 lines.

Here is my concern. I have 2 lines that are straight from the dish to the multiswitch. My other 2 lines will have to have a couple of connectors in order to make it work. It is all rg6 cables, but I don't know if it is "high-def approved". Will these cables work for high def? If not, can I use the two currently connected to the dish as my hd cables and the other 2 for my standard def? In other words, is high def cabling more picky than standard def?

Question number 2: If I only care about one tuner on my hr20 receiver, can I get by with just 3 lines from the dish? I have 3 lines already outside and that would make the install a bit easier.

Thanks again.

Mike

#19 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 13 May 2007 - 01:35 AM

With either the Phase III dish, or the newer AT9/AU9 models(5 LNB), you really need to have all 4 lines going to any multi switch you use for proper functionality. Thats just the way it is. With onyl 1 line to your HR20, you currently could not record more than one thing at a time, or watch one live and record another, you would be stuck with one tuner. You could record something and watch a previously recorded show, but thats about it. You need a dedicated line for each sat tuner input, and if you want to pick up local HD from an antenna, you need a dedicated line for that as well. No splitters, no diplexors, etc...will guarentee that everything can work as intended.

#20 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 05:09 AM

Ok, so if I knock out a wall and a window (not literally), I can get another couple of lines in the house for a total of 4 lines.

Here is my concern. I have 2 lines that are straight from the dish to the multiswitch. My other 2 lines will have to have a couple of connectors in order to make it work. It is all rg6 cables, but I don't know if it is "high-def approved". Will these cables work for high def? If not, can I use the two currently connected to the dish as my hd cables and the other 2 for my standard def? In other words, is high def cabling more picky than standard def?

Question number 2: If I only care about one tuner on my hr20 receiver, can I get by with just 3 lines from the dish? I have 3 lines already outside and that would make the install a bit easier.

Thanks again.

Mike

Yes the RG6 cable you already have is fine. Yes if you would like you could just run 1 line to the HR20 and 2 lines to the TiVo. Then if you want when the SWM (single wire multi-switch) comes out later this year you could get that and add it into your system. But you would need the 4th line from the dish to the multi-switch. That can be installed outside and then the installer could connect to the outputs the 3 lines that are going into the house. Then you would only need one cable to the HR20 and be able to use both tuners.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...