Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Missed recording on Planet Earth - Why?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   heiber

heiber

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 03:44 PM

I set up a Series Link for Planet Earth to record first runs and repeats. Looked at the guide today and there was an episode that was not recorded for Pole to Pole. This hasn't been recorded yet. Now I have a couple of beefs:

- I have no idea why this wasn't recorded and don't see anything in the history
- There are no future episodes listed to be recorded. I cannot find a way to look at the series link to check the settings. In the prioritizer, I can't select it to see the options. How do I see the settings?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,646 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 12 May 2007 - 04:19 PM

The Pole to Pole episode caused problems when the series 1st ran. You had to record it separately. It's an issue with the way Discovery is coding the program for the guide that it doesn't show with the rest of the series.

#3 OFFLINE   techntrek

techntrek

Godfather

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 06:34 AM

I've had several Planet Earth's that haven't recorded, not just Pole-to-Pole. Its happened with other shows that I've set to "record all", too. I agree it must be a guide data problem, and the HR-20 is looking at the behind-the-scenes ID and not the actual program title.

#4 OFFLINE   heiber

heiber

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:17 AM

What about my other question - how do I see the Series Link settings if there are not any scheduled recordings? I've tried every way I can think of and can't figure it out.

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:27 AM

What about my other question - how do I see the Series Link settings if there are not any scheduled recordings? I've tried every way I can think of and can't figure it out.

Currently..you can't.
All you can do is to delete the SL if there aren't any recordings scheduled. Pressing - - [dash dash] does this.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:49 AM

The Pole to Pole episode caused problems when the series 1st ran. You had to record it separately. It's an issue with the way Discovery is coding the program for the guide that it doesn't show with the rest of the series.

I have Series Link set up for Planet Earth and Pole to Pole recorded as scheduled.
I haven't missed a PE recording yet.
You might want to delete the link and reset it up again. Just a thought.
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

#7 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:15 AM

Currently..you can't.
All you can do is to delete the SL if there aren't any recordings scheduled. Pressing - - [dash dash] does this.

Not true, if there are no scheduled recordings but you still have a recording from that SL still on your HR20 you can edit the SL settings when you select the saved recording.

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:35 AM

Not true, if there are no scheduled recordings but you still have a recording from that SL still on your HR20 you can edit the SL settings when you select the saved recording.

Well I didn't know that....thanks
I don't store anything after I watch it [I hate re-runs]. :)
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:40 AM

[quote name='BubblePuppy']I have Series Link set up for Planet Earth and Pole to Pole recorded as scheduled.
You might want to delete the link and reset it up again. Just a thought.[/QUOTE

I wouldn't delete it. Something about the guide data on that show made it possible to set up 2 separate series links. After the first few episodes the kinks worked out. Must be still guide issues with the reruns of the first episodes.

#10 OFFLINE   Woody_1

Woody_1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 11:58 AM

[quote name='armophob'][quote name='BubblePuppy']I have Series Link set up for Planet Earth and Pole to Pole recorded as scheduled.
You might want to delete the link and reset it up again. Just a thought.[/QUOTE

I wouldn't delete it. Something about the guide data on that show made it possible to set up 2 separate series links. After the first few episodes the kinks worked out. Must be still guide issues with the reruns of the first episodes.[/QUOTE]

Yea, something odd about this situation. I deleted Pole to Pole, then decided I wanted it again. Did a search, set-up SL to it and now it is recorded in a new "group". There is another Planet Earth in that 2nd "group" now too. (don't recall which one).
Is this the guide data, making the HR-20 see the episodes as two seperate groups, or a function of me adding Pole to Pole back in creating a 2nd group? I'm pretty sure too that another Planet earth has been added to my first group, since the second group started. No overlaps of shows in both. Bottom line is I think I have them all, but 2 in one group, the rest in another.

• Slimline Dish > Zinwell 4x8 multiswitch
  • Series 2 DirecTivo > coax> 2 displays
  • Next Generation Remote Extender (best remote extender I've ever used!)
  • HR20-100 >component> 60" Sony> networked, CID
  • HR20-100> HDMI>Sony 32" LCD,
  • HR20-700 > HDMI>Sammy 42" DLP> networked, CID
  • H20 > Component> 15" TruTech
  • Slingbox A/V

#11 OFFLINE   spunkyvision

spunkyvision

Godfather

• Registered
  • 403 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:43 PM

I have Series Link set up for Planet Earth and Pole to Pole recorded as scheduled.

I know it doesnt help but mine worked just fine
*edit*- nevermind. Mine was recorded on my HR10-250

#12 OFFLINE   funhouse69

funhouse69

Icon

• Registered
  • 669 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:43 AM

Since reading about the Planet Earth Series on Discovery HD I set up a Series Link (First Runs only - I know living on the edge :D ) for it on my HR20 using the current national release and it recorded all of them correctly and put them all in the same group. I did however have one of them that claimed it recorded but when I went to watch it I got the instant do you want to delete this program message :nono2:

To be fair I do not blame the HR20 for this - This was not so long after getting my HD Upgrade installed which included a new dish and an installer (oops make that 3) that didn't have a clue. So I think that I might have lost signal when this was scheduled to be recorded - I can't be sure as it doesn't record the 771 message. Since then I managed to get lucky in the "Installer Roulette" and had someone that peaked my dish with awesome signals.
Was with D* for over 10 years then switched to the dark-side a few years ago and haven't looked back. I truly enjoy the 50% savings and uninterrupted service

#13 OFFLINE   purtman

purtman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 04:15 AM

I also missed some. But what's interesting is that after I recorded the ones I missed, I find that Planet Earth is split on my recorded list into two groups, one with the original Planet Earth recordings and the other with the new ones.

#14 OFFLINE   techntrek

techntrek

Godfather

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:30 AM

purtman, I've seen that before with other shows. I'm guessing that some shows get assigned two different IDs, so the HR20 treats them as separate series links (and groupings on the Listing).

#15 OFFLINE   terrelliott

terrelliott

Godfather

• Registered
  • 461 posts
  • LocationCockrum, MS

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:47 AM

I have had the same thing happen to me with the "Dog Whisperer".

spam firewall