Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR-20 and lightning

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
38 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jpercia

jpercia

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 03:56 PM

Lightning struck a tree about 100 yds from my house today and now my HR-20 is not working. It was on a surge protector (phone line too) and the satellite cable is grounded. When I turn it on it says it is acquiring guide data. Satellite strength is 0 for all satellites. My other R-20 receiver is working fine. RBR and unplugging for 20 minutes did not help. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I would call D* but the strike knocked out my phone line too.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,701 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 04:06 PM

Lightning struck a tree about 100 yds from my house today and now my HR-20 is not working. It was on a surge protector (phone line too) and the satellite cable is grounded. When I turn it on it says it is acquiring guide data. Satellite strength is 0 for all satellites. My other R-20 receiver is working fine. RBR and unplugging for 20 minutes did not help. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I would call D* but the strike knocked out my phone line too.

I would move it over to your other receiver's location & see what happens connected there.
That's step one...
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,647 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 12 May 2007 - 04:16 PM

Even if grounded, it's always possible for a surge to get through with a lightning strike. Could just be that you need to run new cable to the HR20. By all means see what happens when connected at the other location.

#4 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 05:02 PM

Sorry to hear about that.

But a surge protector isn't going to stop a lightning strike. A good UPS unit should be able to absorb a strike though.

#5 OFFLINE   leww37334

leww37334

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 05:07 PM

It has been said,

"The only real protection against a direct lightning strike is a good insurance policy."

:D :D :D
“Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone.” - Ayn Rand

#6 OFFLINE   jpercia

jpercia

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 05:45 PM

Tried it in the other location and it still can't find the satellite signal. I guess it is time to resort to the hard reboot. If that doesn't work am I safe to assume I am the proud leasee of a silver brick with blue lights? How does D* handle these sort of malfunctions?

#7 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 05:48 PM

Tried it in the other location and it still can't find the satellite signal. I guess it is time to resort to the hard reboot. If that doesn't work am I safe to assume I am the proud leasee of a silver brick with blue lights? How does D* handle these sort of malfunctions?

They'll send you a new (well, refurbished) one...at a cost of $19.95.

#8 OFFLINE   Darwynz

Darwynz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 07:33 PM

I agree... your not going to beat a lightening strike. That being said... if its booting up and you are able to move around you may not be totally out of luck yet... is your switch a powered one... mine has a power wire hooked up in the garage... there may be a chance that your switch is what got zapped not your box... try connecting your receiver directly to the dish bypassing the switch... see if that helps. Just a thought!

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,701 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 08:30 PM

I agree... your not going to beat a lightening strike. That being said... if its booting up and you are able to move around you may not be totally out of luck yet... is your switch a powered one... mine has a power wire hooked up in the garage... there may be a chance that your switch is what got zapped not your box... try connecting your receiver directly to the dish bypassing the switch... see if that helps. Just a thought!

This a good thought, but since the other location has a working unit there, would this be ruled out when the "bad box" was connected to the working units cable?
A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:10 PM

They'll send you a new (well, refurbished) one...at a cost of $19.95.

Do you have to be on the protection plan to get this deal or is this valid for anyone leasing the HR 20 thru D*?
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#11 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:45 PM

The nature of a lease is that they will replace it if it dies. Protection plan will cover any owned receivers as well as cables, switches and the dish.

Just have them Fed Ex you a replacement and then you can send the fried one back into them. If you need someone to install it for you then that will cost the $70 service call unless you have the protection plan.

#12 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,904 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 10:00 PM

You may also find your surge suppressor is shot now also.

#13 OFFLINE   jpercia

jpercia

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 10:02 PM

I don't (think that I) have a switch box - just multiple lines running down from the dish. I bought the HR20 at Best Buy - can I still get a replacement from D*? The surge processor connected to my DSL modem is fried. The main part of the one the receiver was attached to still works, but I haven't tested the phone line portion yet.

#14 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,904 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 10:09 PM

It sounds like it traveled on the phone line only. You should check your house alarm also if you have one.

#15 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 07:52 AM

I don't (think that I) have a switch box - just multiple lines running down from the dish. I bought the HR20 at Best Buy - can I still get a replacement from D*? The surge processor connected to my DSL modem is fried. The main part of the one the receiver was attached to still works, but I haven't tested the phone line portion yet.

What dish do you have? How many lines do you have from the dish? If you have more than two (which you should), then you should have a multiswitch somewhere. You would then have two lines from the multiswitch to the box. Who installed your HR-20?

Even a box bought from BB is a leased box, and therefore, will be replaced by D*.

#16 OFFLINE   AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:04 AM

I wouldn't mention the lightning when you call DirecTV. JUst tell them it died and they'll send you another.

Also check with the surge protector company, they often insure what's connected to it, you could get a check from them for the cost of the HR20 as well.

Nothing like getting paid twice for bad equipment. A budy of mine did this last year when his computer died. APC sent him a check and so did his insurance company.

#17 OFFLINE   jmschnur

jmschnur

Icon

• Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:35 AM

Could be the dish as well that has problems-can you try your other receiver on the HR 20 lines just to make sure that all lnbs are ok ?
Joel
[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="1"][B]
ce 0x0431 HDMI 1080P Pioneer Kuro 60" plasma 151
{CE 0x0481 - HDMI 1080p - Sharp 32" 1080P LCD
2 HR20-100 DVRs
Integra DHC 80.2, HDMI throughout.
Home network mixed vista, windows 7
Slimeline 5; Vista,,7 ; wired and wireless; Verizon Fios internet, Netgear 3700 router, infinity/buffalo n ethernet converters
Integra DHC 80.2

#18 OFFLINE   jpercia

jpercia

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 01:43 PM

So after trying the box in the other location (where the R20 was still working fine) and the HR20 still couldn't get a satellite signal I called D*. After getting through the very long automated menu, I reached the 1st level of technical support where the technician quickly figured out I had a legitimate problem and he bumped me to level 2 support. Level 2 support insisted that there was nothing wrong with my box and they would need to send a technician out. The first available date? May 24th! I asked the level 2 tech how one box could work fine in a given location, but when you connected those same wires to another box it could not work but there be nothing wrong with the box? She kept on persisting with the line that it wasn't the box. When I got upset about being without service for 11 days she said that after the technician came out I could then call back and they would get me a partial credit for the missed service one receiver for part of the month.
:new_cussi

#19 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 02:06 PM

So after trying the box in the other location (where the R20 was still working fine) and the HR20 still couldn't get a satellite signal I called D*. After getting through the very long automated menu, I reached the 1st level of technical support where the technician quickly figured out I had a legitimate problem and he bumped me to level 2 support. Level 2 support insisted that there was nothing wrong with my box and they would need to send a technician out. The first available date? May 24th! I asked the level 2 tech how one box could work fine in a given location, but when you connected those same wires to another box it could not work but there be nothing wrong with the box? She kept on persisting with the line that it wasn't the box. When I got upset about being without service for 11 days she said that after the technician came out I could then call back and they would get me a partial credit for the missed service one receiver for part of the month.

Call back, get a different tech. CSR roulette. You clearly have a bad box if you've tried it in another location.

#20 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 03:46 PM

Call back and go through the motions. Offer to move it to another location. When you do, and when you tell them you've plugged it in. Say "It smells like something is burning". I guarantee a replacement will be on its way. :grin:
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

spam firewall