Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR-20 and lightning

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
38 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 724 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 13 May 2007 - 06:14 PM

So after trying the box in the other location (where the R20 was still working fine) and the HR20 still couldn't get a satellite signal I called D*. After getting through the very long automated menu, I reached the 1st level of technical support where the technician quickly figured out I had a legitimate problem and he bumped me to level 2 support. Level 2 support insisted that there was nothing wrong with my box and they would need to send a technician out. The first available date? May 24th! I asked the level 2 tech how one box could work fine in a given location, but when you connected those same wires to another box it could not work but there be nothing wrong with the box? She kept on persisting with the line that it wasn't the box. When I got upset about being without service for 11 days she said that after the technician came out I could then call back and they would get me a partial credit for the missed service one receiver for part of the month.
:new_cussi

You said you moved your fried HR20 to a location that had a working receiver. What about moving that other working receiver to the location where your HR20 died? If that other receiver works in BOTH locations, you could have some ammo when calling D*'s support as a different receiver works in two locations and the HR20 does not.
HR20-700 Connected to 55" Samsung UN55D8000YF via HDMI
HR20-700 Connected to 24" Samsung P2570HD
R22-200 Connected to 32" Sony
D* Customer since 2000

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,395 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 06:22 PM

You said you moved your fried HR20 to a location that had a working receiver. What about moving that other working receiver to the location where your HR20 died? If that other receiver works in BOTH locations, you could have some ammo when calling D*'s support as a different receiver works in two locations and the HR20 does not.

Another way to prove "what's good" & know what's bad. :)
A.K.A VOS

#23 OFFLINE   mattw

mattw

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 06:55 PM

I had a strike a couple of years ago that was close and I didn't notice any problems...at first. I had an old RCA receiver that would tune one set of transponders but not the other. I was assuming that the ability of the receiver to generate one of the signal voltages was zapped. I ended up replacing it but just offer this as an example of the odd things that can happen to these boxes when mixed with VERY high voltages.

#24 OFFLINE   AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 06:59 PM

Or just tell them that the box will come on and the power light comes on and you see a blue screen saying starting, and nothing else happens.

Or tell them the box is dead.

Unfortunately, I often find it's easier to lie to a tech to get a replacement than it is to go through all their troubleshooting as typically, I've troubleshot the issue myself and found no answer.

#25 OFFLINE   jpercia

jpercia

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 07:47 PM

Ok so I called D* back and I talked to the technicians again. We went over the fact that it was obvious to me that I had a malfunctioning box, and not a reception issue. He had my earlier call on record and would not budge from the party line of because your error message is searching for satellite signal you have to wait 11 days for a technician to come out and confirm it is not a problem with the box. I balked at this and said it was unacceptable to spend this much money to lease a receiver and then be expected to wait 11 days for a technician just to tell me that I need a new box. He transferred me to the retention department at my request where I finally was told that a new box would be at my front door in two days. I first had to turn down their initial offer of a discounted price on my HD service for 6 months, and then she finally relented and offered to replace my receiver.

Thanks everyone for your help!!! I think it was the "I smell something burning" that finally made them give in. You guys rock!!!

:)

#26 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 08:04 PM

Now mark an 'x' on the bottom of that one you return and we will see who gets it later on.

#27 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 08:41 PM

Thanks everyone for your help!!! I think it was the "I smell something burning" that finally made them give in. You guys rock!!!

:)

Once the magic smoke leaves the box, its done. Getting that smoke back in the box is a major PITA. :hurah: :lol:

And trust me, I've smoked my share of boxes. (Proper ground on my end, house ground not so good on the homeowners end) :P
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#28 OFFLINE   cnmsales

cnmsales

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:20 PM

Dunno if you checked this but i had this exact same problem as you did. Ended up being a loose cable at the wall plate termination point.

#29 OFFLINE   techntrek

techntrek

Godfather

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 06:51 AM

Back in September a lightning strike fried my dish, the switch in my attic, and all the lines in-between. Got lucky and the lines from the switch to the receivers, and all the receivers, were OK. Took them 2 weeks to come out and replace everything. I didn't ask for service credit, but only because the rep waived the service call fee and equpment replacement fees if I signed up for the protection plan on-the-spot. I saved $ on the service call fee alone, not even adding up the cost of the equipment. Mind you I had to hem-and-haw for 10 minutes about signing up before she offered to waive everything...

Oh, and that lightning strike? My dish is visible from my front door, a hundred feet away. I was in the middle of walking to the front door to watch the rain when it hit, I couldn't see out yet. A 3 step difference between actually needing new underwear and almost needing it, when that 120-decibel explosion made me jump up 3 feet!

#30 OFFLINE   Lynskyn

Lynskyn

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:42 AM

She kept on persisting with the line that it wasn't the box.

There's your problem. I have rarely spoken to a female at Directv who had a clue.
Fly on, proud bird
You're free at last
10/20/77

#31 OFFLINE   AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:48 AM

There's your problem. I have rarely spoken to a female at Directv who had a clue.

Well, I don't agree with that. I've found just as many stupid men at directv as women.

#32 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,395 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:50 AM

Well, I don't agree with that. I've found just as many stupid men at directv as women.

Stupidity is not gender specific or exclusive. :)
A.K.A VOS

#33 OFFLINE   Lynskyn

Lynskyn

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:00 AM

I'm just telling you my experience. If it's not "PC", so be it.
Fly on, proud bird
You're free at last
10/20/77

#34 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,395 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:04 AM

I'm just telling you my experience. If it's not "PC", so be it.

I not doubting your experience, nor being "PC".
I'm just trying to be factual.
A.K.A VOS

#35 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:17 AM

I certainly wouldn't have been satisified that they were going to credit for the downed receiver for 11 days. What is that? About $1.50? Glad it worked out for you...

#36 OFFLINE   Lynskyn

Lynskyn

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:26 AM

I not doubting your experience, nor being "PC".
I'm just trying to be factual.

I understand. I didn't think you were doubting my experience or being PC. My reply was directed more at AlbertZeroK - guess I should have replied to his post.
The PC comment was just in case somebody was going to accuse me of being sexist. :-)
Fly on, proud bird
You're free at last
10/20/77

#37 OFFLINE   lflorack

lflorack

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 11:23 AM

What dish do you have? How many lines do you have from the dish? If you have more than two (which you should), then you should have a multiswitch somewhere. You would then have two lines from the multiswitch to the box. Who installed your HR-20?

Sorry for asking and I'm not trying to steal the thread... However, I don't understand the above. If I only have four lines coming from my 5LNB dish -- two to my HR20 and two to other (SD) TV's -- why would I need a separate switch in addition to the built-in one on the dish? Did I mis-read something?
My System Diagram: Here System Pix: Here

#38 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,395 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 11:28 AM

Sorry for asking and I'm not trying to steal the thread... However, I don't understand the above. If I only have four lines coming from my 5LNB dish -- two to my HR20 and two to other (SD) TV's -- why would I need a separate switch in addition to the built-in one on the dish? Did I mis-read something?

You're fine..if you needed a fifth coax to feed another receiver, then you would need the multi-switch in question.
A.K.A VOS

#39 OFFLINE   lflorack

lflorack

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 11:31 AM

You're fine..if you needed a fifth coax to feed another receiver, then you would need the multi-switch in question.

Agree. Thanks for the confirmation.
My System Diagram: Here System Pix: Here

spam firewall