Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Question For When Swapping To A New Hr-20

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JFHughes08088

JFHughes08088

Godfather

• Registered
  • 295 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 11:23 AM

I received a replacement HR-20. If I swap the receivers and activate the card, will I still be able to view the programming saved on the first HR-20 hard drive. If yes, I will swap out the receivers and then record all my existing recording to a PVR. If not, I will do the recording first, then swap. Anyone know if I can watch recorded contect on a receiver that has a de-activated card?
HD DVR HR20-700, connected via HDMI to:
Hitachi 65F59A. Optical audio for HT.
H20 connected via component to:
Hitachi 53UDX10B
Panasonic PVR DMR-ES10
Technics SA-DX950
5.1 surround. Front channel = Linaeum dipole ribbon tweeters
Powered Sub
Technics SL-MC3 60 disk CD
Harmony 880 Remote (2)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MartyS

MartyS

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 11:51 AM

I received a replacement HR-20. If I swap the receivers and activate the card, will I still be able to view the programming saved on the first HR-20 hard drive. If yes, I will swap out the receivers and then record all my existing recording to a PVR. If not, I will do the recording first, then swap. Anyone know if I can watch recorded contect on a receiver that has a de-activated card?

I don't think that you can transfer from one unit to another, and I'm pretty sure that you might have problems if the access card isn't in there.

I'd either watch what you have, copy it to DVD, or whatever before you swap out the units.

Just my uninformed opinion... or at least that's what I would do to be safe.
Marty

My Setup

Life is in HD and 3D -- be sure to enjoy it!!

Never argue with an idiot.
He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

#3 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,161 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 13 May 2007 - 11:51 AM

To be safe, keep the unit activated with one line connected to the dish until you are done watching anything on it that you want.

Carl

#4 OFFLINE   JFHughes08088

JFHughes08088

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 295 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 11:54 AM

I'm not looking to transfer from unit 1 to unit 2. I want to know if I swap the units, can unit 1 still output recorded convent to a PVR for recording before I sent it back
HD DVR HR20-700, connected via HDMI to:
Hitachi 65F59A. Optical audio for HT.
H20 connected via component to:
Hitachi 53UDX10B
Panasonic PVR DMR-ES10
Technics SA-DX950
5.1 surround. Front channel = Linaeum dipole ribbon tweeters
Powered Sub
Technics SL-MC3 60 disk CD
Harmony 880 Remote (2)

#5 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,684 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 13 May 2007 - 12:02 PM

I'm not looking to transfer from unit 1 to unit 2. I want to know if I swap the units, can unit 1 still output recorded convent to a PVR for recording before I sent it back

When you say "can unit 1 still output recorded content to a PVR for recording", do you mean copying its programs to a DVD Recorder or VCR?

You can continue to use Unit 1 for viewing or copying its recordings as long as it's connected to a satellite cable and you keep it activated on your DirecTV account.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#6 OFFLINE   gregory

gregory

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:10 PM

You can't play any recorded programs unless the unit and access card is fully activated. When I got my replacement HR20 I activated my card for the new receiver to test it out. I still had programs to watch on my old unit and I thought I would be able to hook up the old one and put in my activated card to watch some recordings before sending it back but no dice. It said that I inserted the wrong card since the serial didn't match up.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...