Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dual Inputs on HR20?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   stavs

stavs

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 11:27 AM

Hi. I am a new DirecTV subscriber and I was wondering why the HR20 has dual inputs? My installation went pretty poorly and the installer barely spoke Englisg so he couldnt explain much when I got home.

Thanks,

Stavs

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Duffycoug

Duffycoug

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 11:40 AM

So you can watch one program while another is recording, or record two programs at one time.
AT9 -->WB68 --> HR 20-100S --> HDMI --> Sony 42" Plasma KDE-42XS955.
(4) SD Directv Tivo.

#3 OFFLINE   stavs

stavs

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 11:43 AM

So you can watch one program while another is recording, or record two programs at one time.

So its quite different than my old cable DVR which had a dual tuner, but it was fed off of one input.

Thanks for clearing this up for me.

#4 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 13 May 2007 - 11:48 AM

Yes, it is different than cable. Each satellite receiver or tuner (dual tuners in DVR) must have it's own independent connection back to the dish, because it is a 2-way communication link, and only the specifically requested satellite information is being passed from the dish to the tuner.

If you try to split the line, one of the tuners may not get the proper signal, depending on which specific channels you are trying to tune to on each tuner.

Carl

Protected By... spam firewall...And...